HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATSRT View Post
Need some help setting up dual ailerons. My undrestanding it is best to let the guardian do the mixing for you by turning on "onboard dual aileron mixing". I'll have mod lead from guarding into aux 1 on reciever (to control 3d, off and 2d modes) and second aileron lead into aux 2 on reciever? Question, when flying with stabilization off does the guarding still do the required mixing?
Hi

you only need a single lead from your aileron channel on the receiver going to the aileron in on the guardian (no need for any additional aux aileron leads to receiver. On the output of guardian you then have two leads - one each for each aileron. Yes the guardian does mixing when the mode switch is off - this is true for dual aileron and also elevon mixing etc

Al
alros_100 is online now Find More Posts by alros_100
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:46 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 22, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:26 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
833 Posts
hello landack,
yes in horizontal flight when rolling you must manually correct during each 360* roll by moving the yaw and pitch axis at the same point in each roll, to keep the plane in a straight line. with the guardian on and the yaw and pitch axis engaged and the roll axis "unlocked" the guardian will do it for you , just as it does now when moving only the rudder in 3d hh mode, the rudder is unlocked and the other two axis are being controlled by the stabilizer. the reason e/t did not implement this feature is because it is more complicated to write code to be able to pick which of the 3 axis to unlock than it is to write code to have but one choice. if it had been written to unlock the roll axis only e/t would be facing the same challenge they have to implement it now only in 3everse. the guardian has the capability to unlock the pitch axis and lock the other two and you could do perfect loops without falling out because of imbalance issues and whatever else causes the "unhappy loopers" syndrome.

as for the semi-well documented hh gyro-rudder mod "turn off after take off" scenario, yes you are correct afaik, but then the only t/dragger i have to even consider putting it on is my buckhuck and the rollout is non existent with a 13 x 4 and well over 60oz of thrust, if you mash on it with the stick pulled back it doesn't really roll. but then that was beyond the scope of my above post.

michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Aug 21, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Hi

you only need a single lead from your aileron channel on the receiver going to the aileron in on the guardian (no need for any additional aux aileron leads to receiver. On the output of guardian you then have two leads - one each for each aileron. Yes the guardian does mixing when the mode switch is off - this is true for dual aileron and also elevon mixing etc

Al
Thanks for the reply! I had some programming done in my radio to get the dual ailerons to work properly but sounds as though I can clear all my mixes and just let the guardian do it for me so thats nice. I tested out today, worked well. In 2d she was nosing down on me a bit so must not have gotten the level flight quite right. Think I must have lifted the tail too high when toggling the switch. Bent motor prop shaft on last landing so couldn't re set and try, shaft all changed now so will see how tomorrow goes.
IEATSRT is offline Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
534 Posts
possible with eagle tree.
Clermont Fpv (short) with ZII- ritewing zypher. (1 min 45 sec)
carlocivicsi is offline Find More Posts by carlocivicsi
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Second Time's A Charm

After crashing my T-28 with the Guardian installed on it's first flight, which was due to a radio brownout, the second time out today all worked just as advertised. I installed a separate 10amp UBEC to power the servos & also took advantage of a Hitec Aurora 9 feature & used its' Supplemental Power Connection to power my RX with a direct connection to the 3 cell Lipo rather than thru the ESC. This left ample power available for the Guardian & both 2D & 3D performed as expected. The only quirk I observed was that the T-28 was rock solid level & straight in 3D based upon my setting level flight & trims on the ground but in 2D there was a slight roll to the right when I released the sticks, even though it flew fine hands off with the stab off. But I also found I enjoyed the 3D setting more than the 2D for not having to fight the Guardian. I ran through 4 3S2200's before I tired & decided to quit for the day! Looking forward now to the next time out to start exploring more of it's capabilities.

Jed
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Jed good to hear you got your T28 back up and all is good
Is yours a parkzone T28 by chance, if so are you using the stock servos?

The servos in the pz T28 is rated for 4.8V
Using 5V is fine, anything else you run the risk of heating up the servo which will lead to failure

On a side note running a seperate BEC was a good call

My T-28 with guardian installed is working flawlessly
2 weeks back I was practicing touch and go's the unit made me look like a pro

Love it

Now that I've become familiar with operating the guarding, and adjusting the gain as I have assigned to the left slider on my JR9503

I finally installed unit #2 in a fast heavy Fun Jet Ultra

This weekend weather permitting should be interesting

Have Fun

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post

Using 5V is fine, anything else you run the risk of heating up the servo which will lead to failure

Love it

Now that I've become familiar with operating the guarding, and adjusting the gain as I have assigned to the left slider on my JR9503

Have Fun

FCA
Yes, my T-28 is the PZ one with everything stock, including the servos. The servos are powered solely by the UBEC & the RX is now powered solely by the SPC connection to my Lipo, which I presume now also means that the Guardian is also getting power from the Lipo thru the RX. I believe the SPC, which can take in up to 35V takes my 11.1V Lipo & provides a constant 5V or 6V to the RX, which really solves my RX brownout problem.

I'm only using the Mode plug in connected to a 3-way switch right now but when I am more familiar with everything, I think I'll also connect the gain wire to a slider. Assume you are happy with that. I also have a second stab unit but think I may put it in my Fun Cub - I'm spending the summer in OR where it has been not only windy but a 90 degree crosswind where I'm flying, so I haven't been flying the FC much, just the T-28. Hopefully the Guardian will change that! Cheers & good luck with the Fun Jet Ultra,

Jed
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:26 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlocivicsi View Post
Nice video and flying. Looks like you have nice range with the dragon link.

You mention using osd pro with RTH. Are you using guardian addon or the guardian standalone ?

Al
alros_100 is online now Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:42 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Jed the guardian will be able to handle to cross wind with no problem
One day while testing I found myself having to make a sharp left turn just prior to touchdown

A friend and were at a new construction site

Anyways winds were 12-15 and I was able to perform 2 successful landing using only rudder to line up the T28 just before touching down, kinda wish I caught it on tape

Truly remarkable given my lack of experience with planes with landing gears

Previous planes were all belly landers, so where ever it stopped that where it landed. Lol

Without the Guardian I can safely say the T28 would have been a goner a long time ago

Have Fun,

FCA

P.S. I have gotten a few negative comments about this unit, to which I've paid no attention, I go out fly, and bring it back in one piece, that's all that matters
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:18 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedorme View Post
Yes, my T-28 is the PZ one with everything stock, including the servos. The servos are powered solely by the UBEC & the RX is now powered solely by the SPC connection to my Lipo, which I presume now also means that the Guardian is also getting power from the Lipo thru the RX. I believe the SPC, which can take in up to 35V takes my 11.1V Lipo & provides a constant 5V or 6V to the RX, which really solves my RX brownout problem.

I'm only using the Mode plug in connected to a 3-way switch right now but when I am more familiar with everything, I think I'll also connect the gain wire to a slider. Assume you are happy with that. I also have a second stab unit but think I may put it in my Fun Cub - I'm spending the summer in OR where it has been not only windy but a 90 degree crosswind where I'm flying, so I haven't been flying the FC much, just the T-28. Hopefully the Guardian will change that! Cheers & good luck with the Fun Jet Ultra,

Jed
Jed, that's not really true. If you are speaking about SPC connection of Hitec Optima receivers then it powers only receiver function, but Guardian will be powered from Aileron channel which takes power from UBEC pluged in any channel.

br
schumixmd is offline Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Setting up session
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:20 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedorme View Post
...The servos are powered solely by the UBEC & the RX is now powered solely by the SPC connection to my Lipo, which I presume now also means that the Guardian is also getting power from the Lipo thru the RX. I believe the SPC, which can take in up to 35V takes my 11.1V Lipo & provides a constant 5V or 6V to the RX, which really solves my RX brownout problem.
Actually, no. The SPC only powers the receiver's RF section. The servos are powered by the UBEC. Since the red/black wires from the Guardian goes from it to the rx's servo pins, then the Guardian is also powered by the UBEC. I don't think you wanna power the Guardian directly from the lipo as this voltage will very likely get passed to the servos and kill them

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:39 AM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
Got a question, just put a model together using the guardian with a futaba 8j and ezuhf and hitec hs-65mg, but it also did it with dragonlink. for some reason when i screw with the rudder stick enough either on the bench or in the sky long enough my servo center quickly changes to like 20-30 degrees off center in 2-3 touches of the stick. when i straighten it out with subtrim, then reset trim and turn on my gain in either 2d or 3d mode, it goes the opposite way. While screwing around with it trying to figure it out, i've discovered that if i shorten the rate to 50% in d/r or endpoints, it stops doing it

I've dissabled all heading holds at this point and it still does it from time to time, was happening over and over from the get go. any ideas?
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Last edited by Kloner; Aug 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post

Love it

Have Fun

FCA
I have a Fun Jet Ultra that I am afraid to launch. I am scared everytime I do it. Flying is the easy part, I just cannot launch. I am interested to hear how you find the Guardian does. I find the elevons have so little authority at first. I had no luck with a throw style lauch so I do a vertical rocket style launch. I would love to fly it more but I destroyed one learning and bought a second one that I mostly look at.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Max - I've been using a PVC Launcher to launch my FunJet
It's a pretty heavy 6S setup

The system can produce enough thrust to allow a vertical launch, but I've never done one, it all comes down to technique

Plan is to do a hand launch, with 3D activated high gain

I'll report back how it goes

Have Fun

FCA