Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Are you doing what alot are doing and flying aggressive in ATTI mode? If so thats the problem.
Nope. Atti mode is for AP and Snapping pics as far as I am concerned. It's also helpful to pop the switch in case you get into a hiccup situation, or a spot of trouble and need to take a breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
If you want to find flaw you will find them in every controllers. If you want to praise a controller every one has some great points.
I like all of them. Interestingly I found the later multi wii firmware V1.9 not as well as the older ones V1.7. Unfortunately the multi wii firmware is also better suited to the WMP sensor over the ITG3200 gyros.
Each controller has a certain amount of loyal followers and each has strong points. No one person can understand the advantages or disadvantages of each controller until he/she actually has one and play with it at length.
Reading other people's opinion on each controller is like describing an elephant when you are blind folded.
I completely agree. I also did not care for the more recent Multiwii versions past 1.7, and I reverted back to it. I found it to suit my flying style better. Remember, if it were not for Alex, we would not be having this discussion now. We'd be having it in 3-5 years. Thanks ALEX! And yes, like SeismicCWave said these are all just opinions. Like I said in my previous post, the Naza may be great for one person but not for another. I think the hardware is capable of being an awesome multirotor controller. But right now, the actual "flyability" is lacking. And I am not the only one who thinks so. There are also issues with the Naza that I see as dangerous to new users. I wont go into them here, just read the Naza thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
You do realize pilot skill is an important factor. You could give Warthox a couple of bits of wood with bees stuck to it with double sided tape and he could make it do double flips on a windy day. Juz can really fly, wonder how he would find the Naza if he had a few months to tune it.

I have a couple of CC boards and while I love the project, love the ideals behind it, love the GCS, love the support and attitude of the people running it the CC board really isnt the holy grail. Its amazing value for money but seriously it has a number of issues. Gyro drift, yaw drift in flight and issues if it takes a crash and needs to have its setup redone. I have the very latest version of the firmware and software and that issue still exists.
The big trouble is that because its Open source and run by great people you dont dare criticize the CC board.
I have high hopes for the Revo but the CC board isnt as great as its made out to be. best value for money yes but the best thing since sliced bread no. Ive just come in from putting 2 batteries through my CC quad but in my experience is the Naza flies better.
Warthox and Juz are probably be know as the originators of kicka** quad flying. The good thing is, those guys post a video and that draws attention to this fairly new branch of the RC sport we are all obviously so passionate about. "Hey watch this guy buzz the hell out of the beach or the gorgeous AUS countryside" or "Wow look how aggressive this guy is tossing this quad around!". You don't see many people sharing videos of hovering now do you? Stacky also points out something very important. The OpenPilot project is a labor of love for all the guys involved. Dankers is probably near broke from personal investment. Some of those guys have poured time and money into the project purely out of interest in making something better. Something that pushed the envelope and yet was affordable to the common RC pilot. You think MR controllers are expensive? Try buying a Vbar and the updates (I have 3 of those at a few hundred a pop)... You want to see something even better than the OPCC? Get involved with the project. It only takes time and money, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthlapy View Post
...In my opinion; I find the CC is the only FC i have used that has allowed me to fly within my own personal skill level.
Bingo! My sentiments exactly. Look, I like both of them. NAZA has potential. But it's also terribly, terribly limited in flyability. I have a big Hexa that flies really great with the NAZA. IT's super stable and takes some really great video. I have another quad that I can whip around like it's on a string and it's got an OPCC board on it. And truth be told it took me a few hours of custom tuning to get it that way. But I don't see any other controller being as easy for me to do it with. I also have a VC450 with a NAZA on it. It's umm... It hovers really well and forward flight is.. well.. vanilla at best. But I hover for about 2.5 seconds while I take off and check yaw, roll, and pitch then I wannna fly man!

Bottom line. Decide what YOU personally would like and go with that. We can argue NAZA vs. OPCC vs. nnn (Where n is your fanboard) all day long, but in the end it all boils down to how you personally want to fly.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Last edited by HansAuf; Feb 17, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:58 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
CC vs Naza thread=lame.

Naza= flies the multirotor for you. Cuts your face up if you switch modes

CC=........

gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,600 Posts
Naza=Autopilot???? CC stabilized???

Puuullleezzzz.....

The Naza in attitude is far more stabil than I could ever get the CC board. And guess what... EVERY time I fire it up and fly it, the sensors stay put! No drift ACC, no having to land and rearm so it finds it's brain again. I have two Naza's and they both have zero trim input and are spot on level in any mode and remain there for the entire flight. Not a single board I have owned could do this.

Oh, and as far as the whole aggressive flying thing goes. The Naza will fly plenty aggressive in FF for my taste and it is butter smooth. IN MANUAL MODE. People trying to fly this FC in atittude FF are going to struggle. I am not a hyperspace pilot that seeks extreme aggressive manuvers and flips. This is only due to my skill set at the moment. I can however fly plenty fast in FF and bank and yank my multi as good as any board I have owned. The big seller here is the Naza's ability to stay in trim without any drift. This thing flat out repeats! If the users of the CC and Paris boards say that their boards never drift or need constant stick input after several minutes of flight they are fooling themselves.

I have a feeling this thread is heading in a bad direction....south....

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:09 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Blah (2 min 20 sec)

CC is plenty stable to me.

and with a flick from rate to attitude, it'll correct out of terrible situations, like this:

OpenPilot CopterControl Attitude Test VC-450 GoPro (0 min 32 sec)
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:14 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Why is it called copterCONTROL? (0 min 15 sec)

and it's so precise, i can cut tree branches with my rotor blades while flying FPV. that's flight precision down to centimeters of movement, and with the same stablity settings, i can blast around at 50MPH, do flips and rolls, and even fly inverted
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers View Post
There are some opinions in this thread I agree with and some I don't, I get that and some is useful feedback but you stood out as trying to stick the knife on and twist it and very likely because John is no longer a distro. That I really didn't like at all and especially given the many many hours and serious dollars put in to try and ensure everyone does have good hardware.
Sorry but not true as I dont associate with John anymore due to reasons I wont mention here.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:48 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post

Puuullleezzzz.....

The Naza in attitude is far more stabil than I could ever get the CC board. And guess what... EVERY time I fire it up and fly it, the sensors stay put! No drift ACC, no having to land and rearm so it finds it's brain again. I have two Naza's and they both have zero trim input and are spot on level in any mode and remain there for the entire flight. Not a single board I have owned could do this.

Oh, and as far as the whole aggressive flying thing goes. The Naza will fly plenty aggressive in FF for my taste and it is butter smooth. IN MANUAL MODE. People trying to fly this FC in atittude FF are going to struggle. I am not a hyperspace pilot that seeks extreme aggressive manuvers and flips. This is only due to my skill set at the moment. I can however fly plenty fast in FF and bank and yank my multi as good as any board I have owned. The big seller here is the Naza's ability to stay in trim without any drift. This thing flat out repeats! If the users of the CC and Paris boards say that their boards never drift or need constant stick input after several minutes of flight they are fooling themselves.

Mike
a is this drift everyone speaks of. Drift when you hover?
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:57 PM
Team White Llama
United States, IL, Addison
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post

Puuullleezzzz.....

Mike

Again, opinion based on personal experiences. I donít know what drift you are referring to on either board.
Enthlapy is offline Find More Posts by Enthlapy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Metal Head Mini FPV
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Dankers, I just want to point out that even though I have criticized the CC board its not meant as a derogatory thing, I was meaning it within a certain context. From my point of view I think you guys and the OP project are superstars and the CC board itself is the best value for money there is.
Keep up your amazing work. It is appreciated.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:00 PM
Team White Llama
United States, IL, Addison
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
Pete just finish Quad World 5 video, between my stuff and your insane precision flying. This is going to be like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb9n4oa_Pus

At that point we should start a negative campaign against the CC because it seems that these opinions should be taken as facts.......
Enthlapy is offline Find More Posts by Enthlapy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Metal Head Mini FPV
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:19 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
the magic doesn't happen to anyone's clock! it just goes when it goes! :P
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,770 Posts
To me the OP Copter Control board is a very much like the RVOSD5 to the FPV community (RangeVideo.com's on screen display system for those that dont know) - there is so much hype about the product but its ALWAYS out of stock, so most people will never really know if it lives up to its reputation unfortunately...
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:44 AM
Australia
Joined May 2011
556 Posts
Only reason CC is always out of stock is because they simply don't make enough to keep up with the demand.
Soupbones is offline Find More Posts by Soupbones
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Why so much desire for OpenPilot CopterControl
Because it's amazingly awesome and not made by Chinese teenage girls making $0.05/hour while DJI boss watches them work.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:31 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers View Post
99% of you are not going to even get what OP is about anyway so it helps that MK and DJI are around.
Hmmm ... what makes you think that 1% will be enough to start a "REVOlution"?

Since neither the CC/3D nor the Revo are available anywhere the dumb masses need to buy an MK or DJI anyway.

After seeing videos of the revo proto I'd rather stick with the 99% - I don't get what the fuzz is all about anyway.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member