HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:05 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Discussion
Installing right thrust and whats the measurement

What's the best way to create 2.5 degress right thrust on a firewall.. By sanding the angle into the back of the motor mount or using a shim on the fireweall. Firewall is already in place per instructions / plan.

Also how would I know what a 2.5 degree offset would be in terms of the distance offcenter of the shaft?

I know the formula has to do with the radius of the circle. For example a 2 inch circle will be quite different from a 2 foot circle where the 2.5 degrees would be a much larger linear measurement. My radius would be the distance from firewall to propeller.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,026 Posts
With a pre- positioned firewall, I would be inclined to shim. Also, you say 2.5degrees, this is only a starting measurement, you may find you need more, or less, so if you sand the mount you wont get back what you took off.

as for the offset, ask a high-school kid to work it out.

It's simple trig
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:42 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Good point on the starting point! Shim it is.
Yeah, I've foud some formulas but it's a pain in the arse. I just realized I have several plans that show right and down thrust and degress so I'll find one and measure that.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:47 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,026 Posts
if you give me the distance from the mount to the thrust washer I can knock out a mud map for you.

If you give me the width of the mount I can give you the width of the shim too.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:39 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,069 Posts
Just put a few washers behind your mount.... with a few good washers.. you can easily change all the angles for right-thrust or down-thrust... and if you want to adjust it.. guess what?.. just add or subtract a few washers.. once you find your angles you might want something permanent..but washers work fine. .. I've actually found it to be that simple.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:07 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Just put a few washers behind your mount.... with a few good washers.. you can easily change all the angles for right-thrust or down-thrust... and if you want to adjust it.. guess what?.. just add or subtract a few washers.. once you find your angles you might want something permanent..but washers work fine. .. I've actually found it to be that simple.
Not that I use right/down thrust that often, but when I do, washers provide the most simple and easy solution.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:30 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
My custom design/build service puts in estimated sidethrust by working out the angle needed for the firewall on the initial plan, then figuring the motor mount offset position to put the prop rear face centre on the model centreline.

But any adjustments are done by me with washers, which then puts the prop centre off the model centre a little.

Which doesn't ever seem to bother the model all that much.

I'd vote for a small drawer with a plentiful supply of washers. Thick and thin per diameter are good if you're real fussy

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, FL, Edgewater
Joined Nov 2010
148 Posts
Forget equations, Use a simple drawing with your known values to figure out the offset. Draw a T exactly 90deg. set up a protractor at 2.5deg offset of the 90deg. using your known distance from firewall move the protractor left until the arm crosses your measurement on the line. there is your offset. simple and without math. I tried to show on pics but I stink with "MS Paint" Thought that counts, right?
And definitely use shims, that way there is no issues later when you need to readjust. It seems most mounts these days have slotted holes to move the mount around a little bit to adjust this very thing.
no1isnormal is offline Find More Posts by no1isnormal
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:58 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,447 Posts
I'll throw another consideration in.

Does it have a cowl and spinner ?, if so, be careful or you could end up with the cowl angled as well.

If you angle the motor from the planes center line, placing the rear of the motor on the center and then angling it, the spinner can end up away from the center line enough to look a little odd.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Last edited by eflightray; Feb 17, 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added picture.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,561 Posts
toe-in

off-set thrust is like toe-in in your car ....you can drive it with it messed up,but it drives better when it's correct.
Hangar flying brings this up occasionally,and the correct right thrust is acheived by trial and error....down thrust also..
in my opinion,some is better than none,so I start out with measuring from prop tip to rudder hinge line.Locate the prop horizontally,measure from each tip to the rudder hinge line ,and be sure there's less distance on the right side...On 18" props,I start out with about 3/8" total difference,and adjust from there.
Cruise in level flight ,full power,pitch straight up,shouldn't need rudder to go on a line vertical as far as it will...
'Down' thrust depends on where the wing is located.High wings like down thrust,mid-wing may not need any,some low-wing high drag aircraft may need some 'up-thrust' to change speeds without trim changes.
See why it needs to be easily adjustable?
Go play with your airplane.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Thanks for all the replies... thin washers is a great idea until I get it right. I came up with 2.5 degrress based in a previous post in this thread where the builder of the same model suggested 2 to 3 degrees right thrust. My concern is I didn't want any surprises on the first takeoff and was wanting to be sure I start initially close to that 2.5 degree mark.

I always offset the motor on the firewall so that the hub is centered in the cowl. I don't like how it looks off center though it wont matter much.

I'll do the protractor idea for the angle and the washers for the initial setup. Curare.. I appreciate the offer.

No1IsNormal....
This may sound stupid, but with the angle defined, I'm trying to understand how to use it. The left angled line is where the "rear" center of the motor would sit with the prophub on at the intersecion farther out?

Mike.
Last edited by Thermalin; Feb 17, 2012 at 08:28 PM.