Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:32 AM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
s033g signal drops

Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
Hi Jim, How's it hangin!!! I'm surprized by that range, mine on 27mhz went twice that distance and height .What range can you get with the s33? On 2.4 mine had a horizontal range of over the whole length of that field next to my house which must be a good 4-500 yrds I was quite surprized. However with things running it could well be less. I look foward to your results with the s33 reciever.If that gives you the power back then I'll have to follow you there. I wondered if the fact that the battery wires are thinner on the 2.4 pcb may restrict the power a little? We need some electronics boffins to figure it out for us hey!
Hi drambuidhe,

It's going fairly well, I got to do some more flying and that was my new s33 that I was doing a range check on. Guess I should do them on the ground, as I had to go get the heli anyway.

When I watched your video and you were flying the s033G on 27MHz, I couldn't believe the range that you were getting on it.

Jim (Oregoncoast) has ordered a s33 pcb to put in his s033G and since he ordereed his before I ordered mine. I think that he will be able to post the results before I will. I'm just hoping that Jim posts that the power stayed the same.

I don't know why the power is down, when we are using the DH9118 pcb, I was thinking that it must be something in the MOPS circuit that's restricting the power, But since I know almost nothing about electronics, (And we bridged the MOPS wire) It's just a spectulation.

I know that after I fly the s033G with the DH9118 pcb, when I land I check the pcb, the motors, the battery and they all are cool. Just color me confused.

I was just reading in one of the DH9118 threads where one forum member had added a secondary Rx to the existing stock pcb. But as I stated earlier, since I know almost nothing about such matters, I asked him about it. Hopefully I'll get a reply.

Are you still on Holiday, Or are you on the way home?

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:48 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
s033g

Still in NZ Jim, home in 3 weeks time. The wind is still too strong most days for flying though I manage 2 fly's a day , one around 8am and one around 8pm when there's normally a brief window of calm! I've had a few heli flights, though carefull one's due to the worn gear and no glitches to report. I've bought the HZ float kit for the cub but haven't had the bottle to try them yet.I want the first go to be on fresh and shallow water so I can retrieve it if needs be!! P.s did that guy ever try his S033g with an 11.2 battery? He posted those intentions several weeks ago but can't find any mention of the results! I've been tempted but a guinea pig would have been good
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:12 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
s033g

Hi drambuidhe,

Yes, I seem to remember that someone was going to try a 11.1v 3s lipo in their 7.4v heli, But as you say I don't think that he ever posted the results. I do know that Syma shows two different motor sets for the s033G. One for the 3s version and another for the 7.4v version. That could mean that they just have a different pinion and maybe the windings.

I don't know if the 7.4v pcb could handle the extra voltage or not. I've got several spare 27MHz pcb's I guess I could hook up a 11.1v 3s lipo to it and see what happens.

I think that the reason that there's two different sets of motors is because of the difference that the extra voltage will have on the speed of the motors, not because the lower voltage set of motors wouldn't be able to handle it. (Altho, how long would be anybodys guess)

I know that when I was racing slot cars during the 60's we were running at a track that was using two 12v deep cycle marine batteries for power to the track, as they were able to supply a great amount of current. So we would rewind the motors down to about three volts and then epoxy the windings and balance the stator. It made the cars go like a bat out of he**, But the longevity of the motor was shortened considerably. So I imagine that the same would apply to running a motor that is setuup for 7.4v and then running it on 11.1v. But I'm not recommending that anyone try it, If you do, you do so at your own risk.

J
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:18 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Video looks great Jim Lee. Did you have to do anything special to get the DH9118 2.4 pcb to work properly in the S033G? I remember reading that you and Dramabuidhe where having problems making it work.
I was the one considering using the 11.1v battery in my S33 but never did in fear of frying the pcb board.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:12 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
s033g

Here's what needs to be done to convert the s033G to use the DH9118 2.4GHz pcb.

Go to the s033g -27mhz to 2.4ghz thread and look at posts #32, #41 and #52 That should give you the information on how to convert the s033G 27MHz 7.4v pcb over to the DH9118 2.4GHz 7.4v pcb

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1763061

J
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:13 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have an old S033G that is out of commission and I may bring it back to life with this conversion. Is there that much of a difference between the S033G and the DH9118 that it is worth the conversion or did you guys do it for the radio frequency?
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:31 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
s033g

dwtriac23,

The reason that I changed over to the 2.4GHz pcb, was because of the dropped signal with the 27MHz pcb.

A replacement s33 pcb is available and I and another forum member, (Oregoncoast) have ordered one. Oregoncoast should receive his first, as he ordered before I did.

I'm hoping that the s33pcb will bring the power back up, as using the DH9118 pcb cut the power about 10% from what the stock pcb put out. That's the only downside to doing the conversion with the DH9118 pcb, But it cures the signal loss problem. If the s33 pcb works out, I would suggest that you order it instead of the DH9118, Since you already have a s33 Tx.

When Oregoncoast or I receive the replacement s33 pcb, One or both of us will post our experience with the conversion. Since the two helis look identical, I think that the s33 pcb should work fine in the s033G.

J
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:19 PM
United States, OH, Conneaut
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Modification on the Transmitter

Howdy Jim ... well sir ... I did modify the TX from the 6V to a 9V battery ... there was no signal lost when I tested it out, but you say it won't last?

Please define "pcb" ... is it a pc board? I will check out the thread to change to a 2.4G ... and is a replacement S033G pcb required for the modification? Just want to get clarification on that.
Spirittoo is offline Find More Posts by Spirittoo
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
The Video

The S033G in the video didn't lose the signal at all ... I take it the Tx has not been modified? When I can get it outside and check it out I will see what kind of range I get ... If the higher voltage battery and resoldered antenna doesn't work, I'll try letting the attenna out and put a weight on the end, all three may solved the problem.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:37 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
s033g

Spirittoo,

pcb is the printed circuit board. The required replacement pcb to convert the Syma, s033G heli from 27MHz to 2.4GHz is, either a 2.4GHz pcb and 2.4GHz Tx from a DH9118 heli. (These can be ordered as replacement parts) or a 2.4GHz pcb and 2.4GHz Tx from a Syma s33 heli. (these can also be ordered as replacement parts) I don't know if other 2.4GHz radio systems would work, as I'm only famillar with the DH9118 and the Syma s33 2.4GHz radio systems.

You can get the replacement parts here. http://www.rcpartsbox.com/ and there are other places as well.

As far as changing the stock 27MHz Tx battery from 6v to 9v, that's fine, I did it to mine and it worked. I also put a new 27MHz pcb in the s033G, But after 4 or 5 flights, it started dropping signal again. I've done every mod that I've read about and it still wasn't reliable. I kept getting signal losses.

The only thing that has worked, Was to go to the 2.4GHz pcb and 2.4GHz Tx from a DH9118 heli. I already had the Tx, since I have two DH9188 heli's. The only downside (if you can call it that) is about a10% less power. I would rather have that, then the complete signal losses that I was getting with the 27MHz radio system. Have you seen my video of the s033G that's converted from 27MHz to 2.4GHz? That system has been rock solid after I repositioned the 2.4GHz pcb (I turned it 90 degrees, so that it's orientated the same way as the stock pcb in the DH9118 heli)

Spirittoo,
As far as the Tx used in the s033G video, I don't know if it was completely stock or not. Drambuidhe, would have to comment on that, as it was his Syma s033G that was in that video. I do know that he was using a 7.4v 2s 2200mAh lipo for power to the heli)

If none of the things that you try cure your signal losses with the 27MHz radio system, you might want to go ahead and convert the s033G to 2.4GHz. You could also, just go ahead and buy a Syma s33 heli.

J
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
s033g

Hello from NZ- still!! Yes my s033g transmitter was modified as soon as I got it using a fly lead to a 7.2 nicad pack of which I have many from car and boat days.The aerial lead in my vid is the standard one only fed away from the motors/pcb etc. I just dangle a plastic fishing bite indicator from it to keep it down.Actually I have few signal drops on this system or at least ones long enough to cause a problem.Strangely though if I got through the first 2 mins it was always reliable after that?? If I ever got a severe drop leading to a crash it always landed in horse s-it!!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:14 AM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Buy new outfit is cheaper

Hilly Ho! and Howdy again Jim and Dram

Well sir ... looking at the price of the PCB and the TX parts I'm looking at $38 if there is free shipping ... for $19 more I could get the whole Syma S33 ... have something to fly as big as the S033G that won't lose the signal ... then if the S033G still has problems with signal lost I would only need to get the PCB Rx part for the S33 and put that in the S033G ... I'd have the transmitter so that would be $18 for the PCB
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:41 AM
Joined Oct 2012
644 Posts
so33g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirittoo View Post
Hilly Ho! and Howdy again Jim and Dram

Well sir ... looking at the price of the PCB and the TX parts I'm looking at $38 if there is free shipping ... for $19 more I could get the whole Syma S33 ... have something to fly as big as the S033G that won't lose the signal ... then if the S033G still has problems with signal lost I would only need to get the PCB Rx part for the S33 and put that in the S033G ... I'd have the transmitter so that would be $18 for the PCB
It's a no brainer then Spirittoo go for it. If they were that cheap in the Uk I'd want one too!!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:58 AM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
I like your way of thinking dram Hey I was stationed in Edsell back in 76-79 ... Scotland is a beautiful country, but very cold. I remember being so cold during the first winter there dressed in heavy winter coat while the natives were just in a good sweater One year it got in the low 70's for a couple of days and they were complaining of a heat wave!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:12 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
995 Posts
so33g

Spirittoo,

I think that drambuidhe is right and you should just buy a s33. The s33 looks like a clone of the s033G. So, If you needed spare parts, All of the parts on the s033G should fit on the s33.

In fact, I think that both you and drambuidhe should have a s33 and then buy a s33 pcb and put it in the s033G. There!!! I've solved all of your problems and spent your money for you.

Here's a little incentive.

J