HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:42 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
s033g signal drops

oregoncoast,

That was a pretty good deal if they paid for the shipping. You did order them from Feala RC Helicopter World?

Since I already have the Tx, I would only need to order the pcb.

As for changing the connectors, it would depend on the battery that you are using, If you are going to use the stock battery that came with your s033G, You should be able to use it with the s33. My s33 came with the same connector that came on the s033G.

Now I have seen in the Syma parts list for the s33 pcb that it came with a JST connector. I use a Zippy 2s 7.4v 20c 1800mAh Lipo in all of my 3ch Heli's, so I had to change the battery connector's. I use the EC3 connectors as they are easy to solder and fairly inexpensive, but you have to shop around online for the best prices. One outfit charges 3 times as much for the same connector as another one.

Good luck with your conversion, Be sure to post your results. You shouldn't any problems.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:03 PM
oregoncoast
United States, OR, Rockaway Beach
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
Thanks for info on the batteries. Actually I got the pcb and Tx. from this outfit. I did pay fr the shipping....
http://www.rcpartsbox.com/syma-s33-r...are-parts.html
oregoncoast is offline Find More Posts by oregoncoast
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
So, I just barely got the s033g.. and I didn't really know where to post about this. I figured more people who actually own it would find it if I post here.

Anyway, I have a problem where it seems to want to drift backwards and slightly to the left instead of just hover. I haven't had any signal problems yet, but I flew it at night if that makes any difference. Tried to fly it around the front yard a bit, but it drifted backwards into the house.

From what others have said, I guess I will need to do a tail rotor mod to it (it's not that powerful), but I would be very grateful if any one could tell me how to fix this. I imagine it's just a weight issue. Should I just try and move stuff around inside or add weight somewhere or something? I've heard this isn't always the best idea and I am not very good with electronics, etc... (I have also opened it up and peeked inside and have no clue as how to go about moving things around anyway).
Risshuu is offline Find More Posts by Risshuu
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:11 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
s033g signal drops

Risshuu,

It doesn't sound like you have too much wrong with it, I would start by removing the two tail rotor boom supports, Then fly it and see if it still wants to go backwards, If it does, Then I would remove the tail decoration blade that sets on top of the tail rotor boom. If it still flies backward, then remove the vertical tail decoration blade.

If it still flies backward, then add about 14g of weight in the nose of the canopy. If it still wants to fly backward, Try moving the battery forward. If you get it to flying forward faster than you like, just remove a little bit of the nose weight until you get it to fly like you want it. What you're trying to do is to get it to either stay stationary or fly slightly forward when the sticks are in neutral. I prefer to have mine balanced to fly slightly forward. But, That's just the way I like it. I don't spend much time hovering, About the only time is when I'm setting it up for a landing.

Modifying the tail rotor by putting on larger blades will help with forward flight, when flying outdoors in a light wind.

The sideways movement, can be caused by several things, Make sure that the balance bar moves freely, But without any slop in the linkage. When you're flying the heli, try to get it in a hover with the tail towards you and look at the main rotor blades and see if they are both tracking in the same arc. You can put tape on the light (high) blade(s) to try to get it to track level. I've also used solder wrapped around the landing skid that's on the light side of the Heli, But remember the more weight that you add , the harder the heli motors have to work to fly the heli, which cuts down on the flying time.

If the drift is very slight, I would just use the rudder stick to correct it. If you fly it outdoors and there's any wind, It will drift with the wind anyway.

J
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:16 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
s033g signal drops

Oregoncoast,

Any news about your s033G conversion?

I ordered some parts for the s33 and s033G from the same outlet as you did, But I think that the parts are coming by Yak

Hope to hear how your conversion is coming along. Just as a heads up, xHeli has the s33 back in stock. I couldn't resist, so I bought another one.

J
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:23 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
Oregoncoast,

Here's the s033G flying with the DH9118 2.4GHz pcb.

J

Syma s033G With DH9118 PCB (6 min 10 sec)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:44 AM
oregoncoast
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
Good video, and no signal loss!!!! That's great. Yep, still waiting. Maybe they celebrating Chinese New Year. I like the stability of the S033g for flying high with a camera. But hate the signal loss. Anyway will keep you posted...

Jim
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:06 AM
United States, OH, Conneaut
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Trying it, but now sure it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatrix00 View Post
Excellent information Jim.
I guess this thread will be viewed by people that already bought this heli and is taring to make it work/improve using the 27MHz frequency.

have flown mine several times after the antenna upgrade (still in 27MHz) and in the middle of the city and so far I never lost connection again.

I use 24GHz DSMX for everything else I own.
I tried it with an old rca type wire ... it had two other small wires but I just hooked up the one. I didn't solder it to the board because I was worried about heat damage. I just attach it to part of the original antenna. It seems to work most of the time but I haven't had a chance to really test it out, because of the weather. Lots of snow and cold here now. Is it better to have a single wire for an antenna?
Spirittoo is offline Find More Posts by Spirittoo
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:29 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
s033g signal drops

Spirittoo,

Some of the people that are flying the s033G have arranged the antenna, so that it gives better reception, but I don't know of anyone that has posted in this forum that hasn't experienced signal loss, with the 27MHz freq. All you need is a single wire for a antenna.

I tried just about everthing to eliminate the dreaded signal loss problem, I put a longer Antenna on both the Tx and the Rx, Bought a new 27MHz pcb, put a higher voltage battery in the Tx and it would work for awhile, then go back to dropping signal. The last time it lost signal, The heli was over fifty foot high and when it crashed, it did some damage.

For $12.00 I bought a 2.4GHz that works with a DH9118 Heli, and since I already have a DH9118 Heli, I didn't need to buy a Tx.

That cured my signal loss, the DH9118 pcb has been glitch free ever since I moved the DH9118 pcb to the original position as it is in the DH9118 and repositioned the Tx antenna. The only downside is that the power is down about 10% from what it was with the original 27MHz pcb. I will gladly take the trade (slightly lower power,But no signal loss)

I have on order a Syma s33 2.4GHz pcb and when it gets here, I'm going to put it in the s033G and see if it brings the power back up.

J

Here's a video of drambuidhe flying his s033G with a 27MHz pcb, He has the antenna running out through a hole in the nose of the canopy and a small weight tied to the end of the antenna.

You might give that a try.

103 0026 (4 min 48 sec)
Last edited by Jim Lee; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:31 PM
oregoncoast
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
Oregoncoast here, I added 54" of 8 gauge wire to the antenna, arranged every way possible. If I hang it down, I my as well hard wire it to the Tx.:-)....Waiting for the pcb and Tx from the S033 to get here to do the switch...Jim
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:19 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Oregoncoast here, I added 54" of 8 gauge wire to the antenna, arranged every way possible. If I hang it down, I my as well hard wire it to the Tx.:-)....Waiting for the pcb and Tx from the S033 to get here to do the switch...Jim
Oregoncoast,

I'm sure glad that I wasn't taking a drink of water when I read your post, If I had been, I would have spit water all over my computer monitor.

"If I hang it down, I might as well hard wire it to the Tx"

J
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:35 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
s033g signal drops

Oregoncoast,

I don't know if it's good news or not, but when I checked my pp acct today I see that the money has transfered to the seller. I do know that it usually takes two or more weeks for items to get across the pond . So, I look for it to arrive about the middle of Feb.

You should get yours fairly soon as you ordered before I did.

I got the new s33 Wednesday, did the mods, flew it on Thursday and decided to give it a range test. It Lost signal at about 120' out and around 75' high. I thought Oh damn, There went a brand new Heli, But much to my surprise, when I got over there, It was still in one piece, without any damage. I really lucked out on that one. But, I already knew that these Syma heli's could take a beating without doing much damage. I took it over to the bench and checked it over and everything checked out, so I fired it up again and finished out the time left on the timer. No Problems.

I've had the DH9118 out over 150' without so much as a whimper, But I don't think that any of these 2.4GHz Coaxial's will reach out to their advertised range.

The range that I usually fly is well within the range limit on the s33. So now that I know what it is, I'll stay well within it.

J
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:26 AM
oregoncoast
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
Jim..
A hundred feet is just fine. I have to fly my Esky Big Lama,s high with camera so I can see the ocean, that is six blocks away. It is my Early Warning System, in case of a Tsunami:-) But with the S033 the video will be much better, plus I can check my gutters:

Jim,
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:34 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
638 Posts
s33

Hi Jim, How's it hangin!!! I'm surprized by that range, mine on 27mhz went twice that distance and height .What range can you get with the s33? On 2.4 mine had a horizontal range of over the whole length of that field next to my house which must be a good 4-500 yrds I was quite surprized. However with things running it could well be less. I look foward to your results with the s33 reciever.If that gives you the power back then I'll have to follow you there. I wondered if the fact that the battery wires are thinner on the 2.4 pcb may restrict the power a little? We need some electronics boffins to figure it out for us hey!
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:07 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Jim..
A hundred feet is just fine. I have to fly my Esky Big Lama,s high with camera so I can see the ocean, that is six blocks away. It is my Early Warning System, in case of a Tsunami:-) But with the S033 the video will be much better, plus I can check my gutters:

Jim,
Yeah, A 100' is fine, but depending on whose 2.4HGz heli that you buy, They claim anywhere from 50 meters to 400 meters. I was surprised that it quit at the range that it did, When I can fly my SH9118 out so far that I have trouble seeing which way it's going.

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't be too upset, At lease it doesn't drop signal if I stay under 120'.

I live about 200' above sea level, So If we ever have a Tsunami, I hope the wave isn't over 200' high.

J