HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:30 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Help!
Syma s033g

I have a syma s033g and it was working fine the first 5-6 flights but now the power will cut for a split second or longer in mid flight. Sometimes I am able to recover it and sometimes it will fall to the ground before the power restores.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
I have the same issue with the S033G but havent had time to troubleshoot it. It seems that the heli is losing signal, so I am thinking an antenna mod might help. Others that have had the same problem have tried uncoiling the antenna from the landing gear with limited to no success. Hope SOMEONE comes up with a fix for this, as many are having the same issue.
Chalupadrop is offline Find More Posts by Chalupadrop
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:25 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
s033g

I tried unravelling the antenna and running it out along the tailboom for better reception and the heli would not work at all, until I wrapped it back in its origainal place around the landing skids...strange
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Motto - fly it, crash it = fun
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
It's a bit strange that us 033 owners have different results with antenna changes due to signal loss. I had some loss early with the coiled antenna and I tried the move to the tail routine with no improvement. I uncoiled the antenna and just let it hang down when flying. I now have no signal loss. From my past RC airplane flying I have never seen a receiver antenna coiled.
fs2flyer is offline Find More Posts by fs2flyer
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Dec 2004
14 Posts
Is the problem distance related or does it just happen?
nolanski is offline Find More Posts by nolanski
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
Problem with the receiver in the 033 is that it's on the 27mhz frequency band. Lots of interference on that band, it happens to be in the CB band albeit not the same frequency but very nearby. All it takes is a nearby CBier putting out more power then he should and you have problems. The CB band is on AM and I believe that these receivers are FM but that is not enough to keep you from the kind on interference that is prevalent on 27mhz. due to overpowered transmitters that many use nowadays.
As for antennas, uncoiled is always best but there's no reason why a coiled antenna shouldn't work, mine are always somewhat coiled. It's not the coil but the actual length of the wire that matter and should always be a multiple of the wavelength. The wavelength of 27mhz is 11 meters so a 1/4 wave antenna is 11meters divided by 4 =108 inches. Since running 108" wire is a bit much they either use a coil on the receiver to "add" inches or a multiple of 108" like 54" or 27". The key thing is to always make it a wavelength multiple of the frequency you are working with. Coiling antennas is done all the time in the radio world, that's where the rubber ducky comes from, all a rubber duck antenna is, is a coiled antenna. Take one apart, pull it straight and it'll equal a 1/4 wavelength of whatever frequency it was made for, or as the frequency gets higher and the wavelength shorter it could be a 1/2 wave or even a full wave when you get into the gigahertz. I don't use the 27mhz. band, I just don't trust it, and I believe you are seeing why.
Of course the above assumes you have checked the connection of the antenna on the board and it's a good connection because that in itself will give you a ton of trouble.
CarlP is offline Find More Posts by CarlP
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:16 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
No, it's quality related.
Distributors will NOT give me a sample of this one to test!

And just Googling it, you learn why. This is a COMMON story.

Bottom line- avoid large three-channels. Even if they carried quality motors, the size is just too big to fly with only three channels. Not safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=67_gHFY_MjY
Best way to get big 3-channels into the air: reduce them to volatile emissions.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
That's about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Plenty of people, including myself, fly these all the time without any issues. And if issues arise you deal with them, it's a hobby for god's sake....
Some people's mentality never ceases to amaze me. Lol.
Guess that if you cant master something, kill it.
Wonder how many cars this guy torched because he was having issues with them.....
CarlP is offline Find More Posts by CarlP
Last edited by CarlP; Mar 08, 2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added info
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, CA, Aguanga
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
right now my 033G is grounded for need of a new gear...i'm going to let the antenna 'hang' loose from the skid when it gets back in the air.

i read one post where a nut was attached to the end of the antenna and let to hang free he said it worked great.

i'd be reluctant to try that as we have many trees where i fly...
donwalk is offline Find More Posts by donwalk
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:34 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I'm gonna stand by my statements, they were heartfelt.
Most people will own two or three, maybe as many as five 3-channels, and move "up".
I have owned hundreds.

Really, the larger 3-channel copters have not impressed me. I have been literally told by more than one seller that I do not want this series for any review. They just have not held up, and the post history here bears me out.
Look up Syma S031, find one person who has successfully repaired one (without soon claiming the opposite or ceasing to comment).

Your best bet is one of the "New color" S107's for 3-channel.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Mar 08, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Hello. First post

Check what the tail boom is made of. Some cheaper copters use a metal boom (they look like plastic, but they're not), which is really bad news for nearby RF antennas.

This might explain what some users have seen.
smeggyhead is offline Find More Posts by smeggyhead
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:12 AM
Flyin high thru the sky
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Feb 2012
52 Posts
Ignore the trash talking people.

I have several large 3 channel helicopters and fly them.

Also smaller ones. I am having a similar problem as you are discussing here with a 12 inch helicopter that is 3 channels. It's not a size issue but a I crashed and broke something issue. I plan to replace the antenna on the 12 inch helicopter when I get a chance.
RustyKrash is offline Find More Posts by RustyKrash
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
25 Posts
batteries

Hi all
I bought one to and had the same problem.
I switched from top name off the rack batteries to sanyo eneloop.
The problem disapeared and as long as I keep freshly charged batteries
in the transmitter no more problem
Im just sayin
Russ
rpmdj1 is offline Find More Posts by rpmdj1
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
New S033g

Does the battery charger supposed to get smell and get hot while charging? Just took mine out of the box to charge and its doing this.
GHD1959 is offline Find More Posts by GHD1959
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
25 Posts
charger

Hot and smells funny no this is not good.what kinda charger are you using also what type of batteries?
Do not use the charger till we figure this out
rpmdj1 is offline Find More Posts by rpmdj1