Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:18 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,374 Posts
Poll
What radio signal are you flying?

I am guessing there are about 6-8 persons flying JR/Spektrum to every 1 person flying another system.

What are you flying? I recently made the jump to Futaba...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I am guessing there are about 6-8 persons flying JR/Spektrum to every 1 person flying another system.

What are you flying? I recently made the jump to Futaba...
So, decided you distrust your JR11x? I really think it was the receiver. Why did you not get someone to just help you carry out some distance experiments? I would have helped you.

Anycase, Futaba is nice but expensive as hell. They remind me of Kyosho, another Japanese company. Great stuff but you will pay through the nose for it and you will get what you get when they want you to get it. In other words, I don't think they give much heed to what customers may clamor for and just do things in their own sweet time.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:43 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,628 Posts
I am with you rpstar. I think the issue was more non dsmx related receiver. After talking to bradley it sounded like he needed to try a proper receiver. My understanding is DSMX i svery similar to Futaba FASST. I love Futaba stuff . I have had a few radios in the past. I think if I were to try a new radio I would take a serious look at Hitec. A9
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
So, decided you distrust your JR11x? I really think it was the receiver. Why did you not get someone to just help you carry out some distance experiments? I would have helped you.

Anycase, Futaba is nice but expensive as hell. They remind me of Kyosho, another Japanese company. Great stuff but you will pay through the nose for it and you will get what you get when they want you to get it. In other words, I don't think they give much heed to what customers may clamor for and just do things in their own sweet time.
Yea, I ended up getting rid of it... In the end, I do agree with you in that I feel it was most likely a fault in the rx; heck, the 11x just got back from horizon and was tested for Range, Bind, Power Output and other parameters before they returned it.

I also agree that Futaba does not compete on the same economics as other radios (ie DX18 vs Fut 18MZ), and they are slower to offer some of the "wants" of modelers (telemetry). Futaba also charge for customer repairs if out of warranty, something HH never does to its customers... To play devils advocate though, Futaba has made some developments that are not offered by other manufacturers, like the S-Bus (which is really only relevant in giant scale), but they also offer radios like their 8FG which offers 14 channels for $400. That is not too bad...

I really had so little money tied up in it, that by selling it with a few rx's I was able to get a new radio and put a few dollars in my pocket for other projects; all the while giving the buyer a discount of several hundred dollars from buying Tx/rx + 3 more rx's new from a retailer.

I originally had some concerns over the higher price of futaba rx's, but keeping my hangar under 10 planes (I used to have 30+), should keep that cost in check. I am also a bit upset that Futaba only offers one micro rx, so there are not many options for my little Guilliows conversion
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:57 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,756 Posts
Futaba is definitely rock solid from all reports. I just can't stomach their receiver pricing. Also, they have done some weird fracturing of their receiver market with their attempts to lower the cost on some entry stuff. Don't remember the details, just remember ATTF talking about it.

Good on you if you can keep yours under 10. No way I can manage that. Micros alone are now 8 slots (of course they come with the receiver) and other foamies/balsa/gliders/etc.. up the total to now about 24.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,374 Posts
I think the toughest thing for me to swallow right now, is that unless I get a DSM module for my 9c (FPV tx), gone are my days of BNF micros... This eliminated 4 current slots (4-site, Su-26, DH-2, and mCPX). All will likely be for sale soon and I hate to sell the mCPX as that really made me a sharper pilot.

Currently I am working with:

H9 Sundowner 50
EF 70" Extra
H&M .60 Spitfire
PA Addiction-X
TF giant P-47
Windrider Ele-Bee2
Windrider Queen Bee
Align Trex 550
Guilliows F-15 30mm EDF

That is my current rx demand; but I do have two more that are ready to be assembled to complete my hangar: Steven's Aero Adrenaline Rush and IBCrazy's Starship (a redesign of the Legetti Strattos with a tractor-prop setup).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bsbauman; Feb 17, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:08 PM
USA, GA, Lilburn
Joined Jul 2007
345 Posts
Bradley - grab a dx5 or 6 off someone and keep the MCPx! Those radios will fly a heli right?
madpatter is offline Find More Posts by madpatter
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:24 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpatter View Post
Bradley - grab a dx5 or 6 off someone and keep the MCPx! Those radios will fly a heli right?
+1 on that.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:36 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,809 Posts
DX6I will fly a mcpx but I don't suggest flying with anything less otherwise your wasting your time.

Sorry to hear you switched Spectrum all the way for me.....
I might get a module for something to plug into my old Hitec sometime but it would only be so the tx doesn't sit and not get used any at all

There problems with any radio system, I seen a Futaba guy put in a heli last yr at Smackdown of the south. it happens
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:08 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,203 Posts
I've owned a JR 9303, Hitec A9 and now I have a Futaba 8FG and by far the Futaba has been the best for me. People say they can't tell the higher latency of the A9 and 9303 but I sure could. The 8FG is super fast and I wouldn't trade it for anything -- well maybe the 18MZ Also I use the HobbyKing RX's which are very reasonable and so far have been rock solid.

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,323 Posts
Love my Hitec a9, one of the best purchases i made thus far in the hobby right next to me icharger and paraboard.

Although i really want to get a dx6i so i can get the mcpx eventually
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:26 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,628 Posts
Man I came so close to buying a mcpx today.

I love my 9503 radio. hunter is still using his trusty dx7
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:20 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post

There so much fun. I sometimes wish i didn't even have a 450 lol
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:02 AM
Foam is good.
Tucker, GA
Joined Dec 2007
2,356 Posts
DX7. Never a hiccup.
HomeDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HomeDaddy
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:21 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post

If you want an mcpx new buy from Ampdraw.com. If you want one used you can get crazy deals in the for sale section. MCpx heli's come up all the time, especially v1's. V2 is only slightly better (mainly better tail blade) . They also changed the pcb and programming slightly but I don't think it makes much difference. I love mine.