HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:34 AM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
Wow I consider myself pretty fortunate. Picked up some $tree foamboard the other day and you can pull the paper off dry and everything comes off first try. No glue or residue left on the foam at all. Good luck you guys. Maybe a $tree will come to your area
tonytiger20 is offline Find More Posts by tonytiger20
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:25 PM
USA, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2005
359 Posts
This is not ment to be sarcastic, but if its that hard to get off Id leave it on. I know the foam I get from dollar store comes right off with water, so I have to take it off if I want to fly in any kind of damp weather. The paper would be peeling off in midair if I did'nt
rcflyer50 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer50
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:25 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Dunedin
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer50 View Post
This is not ment to be sarcastic, but if its that hard to get off Id leave it on. I know the foam I get from dollar store comes right off with water, so I have to take it off if I want to fly in any kind of damp weather. The paper would be peeling off in midair if I did'nt
I'd love to leave it on, but unfortunately it's not paper on the foamboard I can get, it's quite thick cardboard on both sides. The weight just makes it unusable (about 3 times the weight with it on)...

We're just totally bereft of any decent foam down here (that I've found at least), I can order EPP and Depron but it's extremely expensive and just doesn't encourage experimentation at that price. I've settled on high density 10mm extruded polystyrene for experiments, not perfect, but it's cheap, NZ$18 for a 1.2m by 2.4m sheet. You can get a lot of planes out of a sheet that size
OpusMcN is offline Find More Posts by OpusMcN
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:44 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,803 Posts
I just spray the paper with windex, get it nice and wet, and it'll peel quicker than ripe bannana.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:27 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusMcN View Post
I'd love to leave it on, but unfortunately it's not paper on the foamboard I can get, it's quite thick cardboard on both sides. The weight just makes it unusable (about 3 times the weight with it on)...

We're just totally bereft of any decent foam down here (that I've found at least), I can order EPP and Depron but it's extremely expensive and just doesn't encourage experimentation at that price. I've settled on high density 10mm extruded polystyrene for experiments, not perfect, but it's cheap, NZ$18 for a 1.2m by 2.4m sheet. You can get a lot of planes out of a sheet that size
Im in exactly the same position as you.

The Foam Board i can get also has the pretty heavy card instead of paper on the surface.

I decided to build without removing the paper/card surface but i am paying the price with a large weight penalty.

I also wish i had a decent source for Foam Board or Depron.
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
I just spray the paper with windex, get it nice and wet, and it'll peel quicker than ripe bannana.
Does this work on the heavier Card surfaced foamboard?

or just the lighter paper covered foamboard
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:29 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
482 Posts
With all the stuff you guys have to do to get nice board what about making your own.
Can you get blucor insulation or something similar and make a wire cuter that you can shave off 4.5mm sheets. Would prob cost les in the end and much faster when you get good at it.
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,803 Posts
I've only tried it on the Wal-Mart stuff. But sure if you letn it set a few minutes it would worlk on anything else also.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2011
42 Posts
I have used Elmers Foam Board to build 3.5 SEMFF combat planes. The way I got the paper off was by soaking it in super hot water for about 30 min, then using a wood dowel (aka broom handle) lifted one corner to start, then rolled paper off with the dowel in a diagonal direction. Still left like a fuzz behind, but I just used my fingers and rubbed lightly in a circular motion and the fuzz came right off. Don't rub to hard or you will scar the foam. If it felt a little dry just spritz with water and continue process. Hope this helps any.
Aricle is offline Find More Posts by Aricle
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,092 Posts
I will have to give the windex and soaking method a try as i havent got around to it yet.

I also havent actually looked for Blucor here in Doha yet will have to sk my purchasing guy if he knows where to find it.

I like the idea of making a foam cutter and slicing my own sheets, im sure the local rc guys would like that as well.

Cheers

Ben
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:33 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Dunedin
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky_d_brain View Post
With all the stuff you guys have to do to get nice board what about making your own.
Can you get blucor insulation or something similar and make a wire cuter that you can shave off 4.5mm sheets. Would prob cost les in the end and much faster when you get good at it.
Nope, not that I've found in NZ... It seems the insulation industry here runs around a completely different set of materials, plenty of expanded polystyrene, but ask for extruded poly like blucor or cellfoam 88 and you get a blank look everywhere. Ask for anything thinner than 10mm and you get the same blank look..

Sigh..
OpusMcN is offline Find More Posts by OpusMcN
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Just as a weight comparison, I use $tree foam board and even that thinn paper is somewhere around 38g per side...

shaving 4.5mm sheets? I have a hot wire that is stretched with about 70kg and it will barely cut 750cm sections without wandering bad eonugh to ruin the design and im cutting 3-4cm thick wings, cutting that thin and even would show some skills and an awesome hotwire! I guess depends on the width though, if you only cut 50-100cm strips it would be more precise.
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:48 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Cambridge
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
no it all comes from Adams.
Which exactly Adams foam board is Dollar tree selling? There are 3 types (see http://www.adamsplasticsinc.com/atta...20Master.pdf):
- Readi-Board Value
- Readi-Erase
- Readi-Board Premium

I've written to Adams enquiring about shipping a pack to New Zealand, but I need to figure out a pack of which foam board is everyone using.

FWIW, I'm looking to build Mikey's FPV V3.
mkuvy is offline Find More Posts by mkuvy
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:48 PM
Phantom Mechanic
Westpoint Utah
Joined Jul 2005
165 Posts
I had great luck with soaking the board in hot water for about 15 minutes then taking an iron on medium heat until it stops sizzling and had it peel right off. No fuzzies.
PhantomII is offline Find More Posts by PhantomII
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,092 Posts
Thats very interesting

i will have to try that

cheers