HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
Discussion
Charging 1S packs using new PL6 and MPA

Hi Everyone,

Just got a new PL6 and the MPA this week. I'm trying to figure out how to charge (5) 1S 300mah packs that I use for my Blade MCPx. I choose the preset 1s/2s no-balance and then I choose no parallel charge, then I am presented with max of 2A for charging. After I start the charging, the display only shows 24.7V @ 0.4 A. What did I do wrong??

Thanks!!
mstlc03 is offline Find More Posts by mstlc03
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:43 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlc03 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just got a new PL6 and the MPA this week. I'm trying to figure out how to charge (5) 1S 300mah packs that I use for my Blade MCPx. I choose the preset 1s/2s no-balance and then I choose no parallel charge, then I am presented with max of 2A for charging. After I start the charging, the display only shows 24.7V @ 0.4 A. What did I do wrong??

Thanks!!
Hi:

Presumably, you are looking at the LCD screen which displays the input voltage and input current.

24.7V * 0.4A = 9.88W * .85 (efficiency of PL6) = 8.4W

8.4W / 4V = approx. 2A.

So it looks like the PL6 is charging at 2A if I'm correct.

Did you press the INC/DEC buttons while the PL6 is charging? This will show you all the different data screens during charge.

Here is a link to the user guide:

http://www.revolectrix.com/PL6_links_tab.htm

Click the first link on the above Resources tab to open the PDF.

Did this get you going?

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:59 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,256 Posts
If you are charging five 300mah batteries in parallel, that would be equivelant to 1500mah 1s pack. 2 amps (max for that preset) is a charge rate of only 1.34c. You could use the generic accurate or generic faster charge preset and set to 3 amps for 2c. I would also set number of packs in parallel setting as they makes setting the charge rate easier as well doing the math for you for mah in and IR.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
Thanks guys for the great explanation!!

I do have 1 question, I did try Greggor99's suggestion of using the Fast Charge preset but it won't let me use that because the 1S packs don't have balancing. How can I get a 2C or 3C charge rate on these packs??
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:13 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
If you make a charging harness which places the main output charging leads in parallel with your present charging (balancing) leads you can then use other balancing presets such as Preset 2 Fastser charge ,Preset 1 Accurate Balance etc.. which have higher charge rates available.

FMA limits the max. charge rate on unbalanced charhe for safety reasons.

Yes I know it seems strange having to parallel the leads on a 1S but that is the way it is.

Here is one of my 2S adapters.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post20402761

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
Hmmm...so this is the only way to get 2c charge on 1s packs???
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:42 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
You are charging 5 ea. 300 mAh 1S. Power Lab is limited to 2A max. for 1S and 2S unbalanced charging for safety reasons.

5 X 300 - 1500 (1.5A)

If you want 2C which is 3A then yes you must use a balanced charge Preset and that requires the balancing leads.

Presets 1 and 2 will give you up to 10A with balancing leads and power leads in parallel.
Charles
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
I see. Coming from Hyperion charger, which doesn't have this limitation, it was tough for me to understand why they would cap the amps for this. Most new 1s packs, should be capable of at least taking 2c or 3c charge rates, at least that's what is being advertised.

Are there any pre-made balance adapters that I could purchase?? Thanks all for your assistance!!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:14 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
Quote:
Most new 1s packs, should be capable of at least taking 2c or 3c charge rates, at least that's what is being advertised.
True but there are many 70 to 300 mAh 1S and 2S LiPolys being used and for a single 70 mAh one the PL8s 2A max. for an unbalanced charge is

2A / 70 mAh =28.5 C thus 6 ea. could be charged in parallel and still be almost 5C charge rate.

Even you 300 mAh (0.3Ah) at 2A would be almost 7C charge rate and 6 eac. in parallel is a total of 1.8Ah so the 2A max. for a non balanced charge is still just over a 1C charge.

Becareful not to confuse 2A charge rate with 2C charge rate as they are not the same unless the LiPoly happens to be a 1,000 mAh one.

Quote:
Are there any pre-made balance adapters that I could purchase??
Yes but as E Flite uses many different types of connectors one must first determine which one ids being used.

This vendors carries a wide selection of high quality parallel charging and balancing adapters. I use his UXM Beast ones and it works great.

http://www.progressiverc.com/adapter...arallel-cables

Note:

If the parallel cable for you connector type does not come with both Bullet and balancing leads connectors the missing one will have to be added.

With a 1S is very simple as there are only two lead on the LiPoly and thus the balancing leads and the charging leads are in fact merely paralleled.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 20, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
Thank you guys so much!!!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:49 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Where do you plug 1s balancing connector? There is no such thing

I'd think FMA could reconsider adding a higher power 1s preset, I totally understand safety reasons, but lots of people charge 6 pack in paralell for mcpx and these can be charged at more than 1C.
There are 6s series cables available, but I am nto too keen on these.
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:19 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
Quote:
Where do you plug 1s balancing connector? There is no such thing
It is called a parallel charging / balancing adapter (harnes). There are many such available, some of these for 1S and some for multi S.

Quote:
I'd think FMA could reconsider adding a higher power 1s preset
Why , it will go up to 10A which is more that a lot of chargers used everyday. Preset #3 will go up to 40A (full power). If you were thinking of the Non Balanced Prset then it is more limited for safety reasons and FMA stands for Safety First when it comes to chargers.

Charles

Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
It is called a parallel charging / balancing adapter (harnes). There are many such available, some of these for 1S and some for multi S.

Charles

Exactly which one has 1s balancing plug? How do you balance 1s pack? None of the presets you mentioned will work on 1s pack, because all of the require balance plug to be connected, unless I am wrong and they will charge through discharge leads only.
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:47 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,840 Posts
It is really very simple. Purchase which every parallel charging harness you need to match the LiPoly cells you are using. Make an adapter ( charging leads) to go from the Power Labs output to the parallel harness's positive and negative and there you go.

Balancing lead Positive goes to battery Positive and PL 8 main ouput lead Positive goes to same .
Balancing lead Negative goes to battey Negative and PL8 main output lead Negative goes to same .

Balancing leads and main power leads from charger are connected in parallel.

This one is for 2S UMX Lipolys but notice how the red and black are joined at the charger's balancing connector? Now picture the one cell parallel harnesses wired the same.

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 12, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
It is really very simple. Purchase which every parallel charging harness you need to match the LiPoly cells you are using. Make an adapter ( charging leads) to go from the Power Labs output to the parallel harness's positive and negative and there you go.

Balancing lead Positive goes to battery Positive and PL 8 main ouput lead Positive goes to same .
Balancing lead Negative goes to battey Negative and PL8 main output lead Negative goes to same .

Balancing leads and main power leads from charger are connected in parallel.

This one is for 2S UMX Lipolys but notice how the red and black are joined at the charger's balancing connector? Now picture the one cell parallel harnesses wired the same.
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html
Wouldn't you have to obtain an FMA 9 pin balancing connector and substitute it for the one in your example to get it to plug into the PL6 or 8?
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26