Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by YamaDan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:48 PM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Discussion
Mutterings from an IMAC/EMAC Sportsman!!

“You’re gonna do what!?!?!” I need to fly, I have the first EMAC coming up Saturday, and I haven’t been able to practice.

I last left you all at the end of the IMAC season. The Little Plane that could.. My little 65” 3DHS Vyper that took a 3rd and 9th in two IMAC event’s had a bad day. I pulled when I should have pushed.. RIP little plane that could.. So this was Thursday, the next EMAC was Saturday.. I needed a plane. Lucky for me, I have a very good friend that also has a Vyper, so I called Kevin, IPSmotors, and asked the dreaded question, “I just plowed my plane into the ground, can I borrow yours…paaallleeese!!!” Kevin was kind enough to say yes. I run out, pick it up, and swap out receivers. Now, they are the same planes, but, different power systems, slightly different set up, and I’m nervous as heck flying it. I do two trimming runs, do one series of the routine before the wind picks up. Crap, ok, gonna have to be enough. Load it in the car, with the rest of my gear, and try not to think about it. So, do I get another Vyper?, I really love this plane. It’s perfect for me for the EMAC… IMAC I’ll need something else. Something, bigger.. But for EMAC, it’s just right. I guess we’ll have to see.

I took a 2nd, and two 1st places so far at the EMAC..best 4 out of 6.. If I can place well, I can win the overall tomorrow..on a borrowed plane.. sweet. Just don’t do anything stoopid!

It’s overcast and windy when we arrive.. why should it be a easy flying day? Rob draws the first round, we both have very close runs. He edges me out. The afternoon runs, I think I’ve got him..it was close, but it’s between us for the win.. or not. Rob wins, I end up 3rd! What the….? That’s the thing about judged event’s, sometimes the judges see something on your flight, and not on others, or sometimes they’re just nice to someone on that day.. regardless, I had a 3rd. That was enough for the overall win. My first year in EMAC and IMAC, and I won!! Awesome!! “Now Move UP!!” ……Crap.

The Sportsman routine is challenging, and a little intimidating. But, do-able.. I start working it out in my head.. I’ll do Sportsman at the final in Hemet! I’ll use my 72” Extra..

So, I start working on that routine.. hummmmm maybe, I’ll just finish out the year doing Basic..no, I can learn this, I’ve got to. Did you know that every year, they change the routine? Yeah, go figure. Also, they put different maneuvers in.. there is one common maneuver from 2011 to 2012.. Yeah, I’ll do the Basic routine at Hemet. What am I going to fly though?

Then, it fell into my lap. I was flying the 72” Extra at my field, and another member asked me if I would be interested in selling it. I was a bit taken back. I initially said that “no..I really love this plane..” but he persisted, and told me to think about it. I did.. and I did..and I did. About a week later, I said ok.

I used that money to help me fund an 87” Extra SHP. A larger, gas project for IMAC… Definitely doing Basic at the final. Definitely getting another Vyper.

So several months later..pretty much no precision flying at all. In fact, little to no big field flying, mostly foamy baseball field hucking, I pull up the schedule for EMAC. Crap, the first one’s this Saturday!!!!!!!

New Vyper, haven’t even maiden’d it yet… New routine.. Oh, and it’s winter.. It’s rainy, windy.. Oh, and Obama is coming to town tomorrow so no fly 8am to noon.

So I bring the plane out, we had a safety meeting today anyway, it’s cold, windy, light sprinkles.. I start putting it together..a member comes up looking at me in total disbelief ”Your gonna fly?!?!”

Yes, yes I am….
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:02 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
....and with very limited practice, we did great @ the first EMAC

Dan took 2nd in the Sportsman w/ maybe 9 practice flights total leading up to it.

and I took 1st in Basic w/ a grand total of 1 practice flight at the event before round 1
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17