HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2 Posts
Discussion
Electric Big Bird XL

I'm looking to do an electric Big Bird XL. Any experienced based recommendations on motor,prop and battery configurations?
animalsmom is offline Find More Posts by animalsmom
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
I am currently building the BB XL and will put in the Turnigy 3536-1100 or the SK Turnigy 3536-910. I have both motors and either motor should be plenty of power. I plan to use the Aeronaught folding prop 12-6. The battery I will use is the turnigy LiPo 3 cell 2100 MAh. I have test run this combo on the bench and I don't know the rpmm but it has plenty of thrust and should work fine. I need photos of how to shape and configure the motor in the nose. you have to sort of figure this out on your own. the plans show a conversion, but it is for a geared motor rather than an out runner. So any photos of this sailplane or similar set up would help. I want a nice rounded nose to fit the spinner diameter.

I will user a 50mm turbo spinner from aeronaught to get some cooling through spinner nose. I am not too worried though about cooling because it will have only 15-20 second runs to get it up to 600 or 700 feet, then the rest is thermal hunting. good luck. I love the BB. I also have another BB that is non-electric that I have flown for years. Good Luck
Dave
dwmumford is offline Find More Posts by dwmumford
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2 Posts
Dave,
Thanks a bunch.I spoke with my son and he figured the a Hacker A-30 16m would work out about the same as the Turnigy. BTW, my sons live in the Salt lake City area.
Regards,
Tim Jesky
animalsmom is offline Find More Posts by animalsmom
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:38 PM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
Tim, you can look at some of my photos I posted in this forum under Big Bird XL Nose conversion. That might help you. I also wrote some notes about it.

Dave
dwmumford is offline Find More Posts by dwmumford