SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Cool
VIDEO JUST POSTED =D POST # 86 PHOTOS POSTED @ # 53, FREE quad body still here! =D

Update: finally have a flying prototype for a new vacuum formed quad body... photos and drawings are on Post # 53... Enjoy!

Last year I discovered quads and as a toy designer, prototype developer and motion picture special effects artist (www.jareldesign.com ), I wondered why there were no cool bodies for these great craft…? So I ordered the makings for two separate (larger) quads and the complete set of parts, controllers, motors batteries etc sat on the shelf and collected dust as I began an 11 month back to back client prototype/project work schedule that had me working nearly 7 days a week since last March…

Then the little HH MQX came out and I was first in line to pre-order mine… What a blast right out of the box! But… I had no love affair with the supplied body… So I adapted the sketches and control drawings for the larger quad bodies I had begun working on so they would fit this little gem… (I figured I could squeeze in a smaller body build in between my client’s projects…)

During this past month (my first break in a very long time), I worked to get my R/C kit line tooling complete and kits back in stock (www.jarelaircraftdesign.com ) and… returned to working on my quad body designs, focusing on a few for the little HH MQX…

Untitled (1 min 1 sec)

When I work with clients, there is a process that goes from concept sketches, to control drawings to “bread-board” read: “rough” prototypes to proof of concept models to final product… (Posting a few photos of past work to give you an idea of what I do for a living)

As I began translating my concept sketches to my bread-board model (to outline shapes, measurements etc to begin work on the master vacuum forming plugs), I realized the 3mm Depron foam model looked great on its own and with how simple it was to build, I decided to share this with members here at RCG who might be interested in creating their own until I complete the plastic kits….

So what I am sharing with you here is my “bread-board” model for what will later be offered as a highly detailed vacuum formed kit complete with cockpit, pilot, clear canopy, engine details, motor nacelle covers and more… (Posting photos of my Micro Ryan and Raptor kits to give you an idea of what you might expect in the final kit.)

Please understand that as a professional, I am only sharing these plans for private, non-commercial use only. All rights are reserved! Now with that out of the way, I do offer (encourage!) those with larger quads, to scale up these plans to build a larger body for your 350mm to 650mm quads! (Maybe using balsa and/or 6mm Depron?)

For now, I am beginning this thread by posting downloadable plans (with scales on them…. Check to make sure translation from my files through this website to your computer and printer retain the correct horizontal and vertical 6” on the printed scale!) as well as enough photos to get you going, if not complete this build… I’m guessing an average modeler could build this in one or two evenings.

Later on, I’ll come back to write more details, share more photos, answer questions and add more posts covering treatment of foam, painting, detailing “Hollywood style” as well as sharing all sorts of “tricks of the trade”… I am also working on a downloadable decal sheet (print on clear Avery labels with your home printer, spray with Krylon Clear Coat (to render them waterproof) as well as a pattern for the cockpit interior and a one-piece clear canopy template you can cut out of common merchandise clear plastic packaging.

For now… here are the photos with a post labeling each part of the build. I believe there’s enough photos to cover every aspect and question you might have about the build. I begin with altering the short power lead on the MQX to altering the landing gear and battery mount. (Larger quad builders will probably pass over these posts…. )

This particular model is build using 3mm Depron foam, a couple of small 1/32” balsa vent dividers and two small 1/16” pieces of ply to adapt the landing gear. Final AUW for the body and landing gear was 19 grams… minus the original body (3.5 grams) = 15.5 grams (Know that I used a few solid resin cast parts form toys I designed over the years and used WAY too much paint to cover my flaws after I realized the finished model was worth keeping and flying…) I’m pretty sure I could build the same model and keep the weight to around 10 grams with paint, decals and details…) (I believe the MQX is rated to carry 28grams? I know I’ve carried my key chain camera in a similar breadboard model of my EyePod MQX ball turret camera mount body)

If you have any questions please post them here… I just started another client prototype project today and will be working round the clock to finish it before leaving with Tresa to get married in Hawaii on March 6th! I’ll keep tabs here until then, be gone until the 17th and should be able to get back to adding more information about this build and others I plan to share as I complete the other body styles in the works…

Until next time, I hope you enjoy!

Best,
Richard
jarel design is offline Find More Posts by jarel design
Last edited by jarel design; Oct 10, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: update with photos and video
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
MQX Longer battery lead

photos showing how to replace your battery lead with a slightly longer one.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
MQX langing gear, battery holder modification

Several MQX owners reported their batteries coming loose... I also wanted a more "aggressive" stance for this little attack craft...

Note: the final photo of the new landing gear assembly shows 1/8" ply... This was an earlier version... the final model uses 1/16" ply and 2-56 X 3/4" screws and blind nuts... (Pliers were used to press fit blind nuts flush with wood.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:16 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Building the Main Fusealge

Cut the appropriate parts out and start building! Use foam safe CA and accelerator... Foam parts fit tight to the MQX frame, but are NOT glued to it... later I'll share how to use micro magnets to attach the body to the frame.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:21 AM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
932 Posts
Very cool. Thank you for your effort and work. I'll be sure to credit you when I post my built model.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:21 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Fuselage Top, side wings and Tail Feathers

Pretty much covers these items of construction...

The micro magnets are great for holding down the body... If I had to do it over again, I might go to the next size up depending on weight... The magnet attachment method and design allows for removal of the body for repairs, adjustments and new bodies!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:24 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Ball Turret, bottom of forward fusealge

Look around for a small plastic cap that fits the shape and size of the ball turret... I sued a liquid Locktite product cap... next time you go shopping, check cosmetics... Lipstick cover? maybe the clear plastic cover for some card mounted product?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Missles and Hard-Points

The particular model I built weighed more than I wanted but flew great as is... If I had it to do over again, I would use soda straws instead of styrene modeler's tubes for the rocket bodies... look around, you can find different diameters... Check out Starbucks straws... they're pretty wide... scuff them up before building... glue will stick better as will paint.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Engine Nacelles

I used 3mm Depron for these as well but as the plans point out, cut extra narrow strips from 1/32" balsa... These made great intake and exhaust vent dividers.

I used a scrap piece of 3mm Depron for the mounting stand-off.

IMPORTANT!: Position your nacelles while the body is on your quad frame! Make sure the blades/rotors are at least 1/8" away from the nacelles!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:39 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Completed foam model

I used a couple of jet engine parts from a plastic model kit as well as two HEAVY resin cast parts from an old prototype to hold the side guns...

The plastic model parts were probably fine, but if I had it do over again, I'd use Depron...

Guns are made from styrene rod and tube available at your local hobby shop.
Antennae were cut from thin plastic sheet (packaging material?)

I sanded everything with 320grt paper before spraying primer.

NOTE: If you do not mark your foam parts like I did with a fine line magic marker, you won't need as much paint to cover the white foam!

Also... First great trick!:

I spray a THIN coat of 3-M 77 on the paper plans/templates and then stick it onto the foam to cut my parts. I then use rubber cement thinner to remove the paper... Just dampen a folded paper towel and wipe the thinner onto the paper... it soaks through the paper dissolving the 3M 778 but does not attack the foam! Instant and guaranteed results with this technique... if any remains after you peel the paper off, just gently wipe the rest off...
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:44 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Completed, primered model

As I shared earlier, had I not used a fine line magic marker to outline my parts, I would not have been tempted to continue spraying primer on the foam trying to cover it up... I can't guess just how much useless weight I added with paint.. Try using any water based model paint (available at your local hobby shop) to paint your model... A thin coat airbrushed on will go a long way! (keep your missiles separate while painting the body...) guns and antennae can be hand painted.

Ok... that's it for now... Gotta get back to work...

Enjoy!

Best,
Richard
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,245 Posts
I like these bodies a lot more than the original.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
that was a superb build bruv very nice
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:20 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
932 Posts
Oops, sorry. I didn't realize I was posting in the middle of your build.

I'm going to scale up your nice design to fit my tricopter. Thanks again.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:40 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
TRhanks for the kind word guys!

Please... you're not interrupting... I'm hoping this will turn into something like my vacuum bagging thread in the slope forum with others chiming in on sizes they are going scale this design (and my upcoming designs although doubbtful for at least a couple of months). Looking forward to people sharing thier build experince here to share with others...

This is all I'm planning to post until after coming back from my upcoming honeymoon... Leaving March 6th, coming back March 17th...

Opus, please do share...!

Curious as to what frames people are wanting to adapt these designs to... I also have some great ideas for boom treatments... and... if I have enugh time and others are willing to give me layouts for their boom tip motors and mounts, I'd be happy to design and layout plans for nacelles... My other designs (including this one) as kits will include moldings to cover (yet cool) the motors...

Richard