HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:37 PM
Georgia
Joined Jan 2009
226 Posts
Question
Slowing Down a Servo

I'm adding flaps to my Parkzone T-28. I'm going to use the Ch 5 switch on my DX5e. I know something like a DX6 would probably be better.

I saw a video where someone used some kind of servo rate reducer to slow down the flap servos. Does anyone here have experience with these? Which would be a good one to get? Will it work fine with the DX5?

Thank you for the help.
Mike81 is offline Find More Posts by Mike81
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:30 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
Here ya go, last item on the page, the servo go slow. It also can reverse one servo so it might suit both your needs in one unit. I am using this on an aircraft to control the flaps. It's a nice unit, you can control both the deploy speedc and the retract speed independently.

http://www.emsjomar.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=6

Just noticed, you have to go to page 2, then the item at the bottom
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:08 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Here's a similar unit to consider:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Regulator.html

Just by the way, a DX6i can't do "servo slow".

DX8 does have that functionality. I don't know about the DX7s.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Nov 2010
83 Posts
So do you have to have a certain type of transmitter before you can use a servo slow down unit???? I only ask because i wanted to get one for retracts.
npowell28 is offline Find More Posts by npowell28
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:32 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npowell28 View Post
So do you have to have a certain type of transmitter before you can use a servo slow down unit???? I only ask because i wanted to get one for retracts.
You only need the external gizmo if your Tx doesn't have "servo slow" functionality built in.

To get back to the DX6i example, the flaps and gear channels are instant on/off. There's nothing that can be done within the Tx's programming to delay the deployment time to say 3 seconds, and use of those external units - placed in the plane, between the Rx and the relevant servo(s) - is one way to compensate for the Tx's lack of functionality in this area.

A DX8 can delay servo travel according to configured parameters. The Tx itself will slow flaps/gear/whatever deployment by any value up to 15 or 30 seconds (I forget which). The external unit is not needed at all.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:12 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npowell28 View Post
No, you can use any Tx with a separate servo slow device. BUT, servo slow devices only work with standard servos not retract servos.

On my Spit I have used a standard heavy duty servo, (not a retract one), and a Turnigy servo slow.

Here's a link to one - Turnigy 3 Channel Servo Speed/Direction Regulator

If you already have a retract servo, sorry they cannot be slowed.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
Georgia
Joined Jan 2009
226 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I believe I'll be getting one for the T-28 flaps. What type of plug do I need. Is it the Futaba J, or JR/Hitec/Z? I think I need the JR/Hitec/Z plug.
Mike81 is offline Find More Posts by Mike81
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Only difference in the plug ends is the Futaba has a locator tab on it, so you can only plug it in one way. If you have a JR/Spektrum rx, you just trim off the tab with a razor blade.

Note: if you go with the Hobby King one, you will need one lead with female plugs on both ends, to connect it to your rx.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike81 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I believe I'll be getting one for the T-28 flaps. What type of plug do I need. Is it the Futaba J, or JR/Hitec/Z? I think I need the JR/Hitec/Z plug.
Is this for a Parkzone T-28? It doesn't need flaps... dropping the flaps on it will really screw it up. I would suggest getting a better radio anyway if you want to do this kind of thing... I don't even think you can actually do flaps on a T-28 with your radio... how are you going to make both servos go the same way? They are programmed to go in opposite directions and you can't change that.

The DX8 and JR9503 support slow servo movement... if you are wanting to do things like flaps on your planes, you need a radio like that. To sum up... flaps won't do anything worthwhile on your plane, you can't do it with your radio anyway, and a servo-slowdown device mounted to your aileron servo would ALWAYS slow it down, and that would be bad. If you are planning to add two new surfaces and use that for flaps, you still have a problem... you will have to do it with one servo. You need a better radio - there isn't really much of a way around that.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:48 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,949 Posts
Yes you can use 2 servos. Theres 3 ways to use 2 servos. 1 is you can buy a reversing servo or 2 you can flip the servo so its facing the same direction like the other one or 3 use a reversing Y connector. That dx 5 has a switch for flaps.

This would be the thing to get because it reverses the servo and slows it down
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Regulator.html
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:50 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,949 Posts
The DX7s also has servo slow down. Flaps are fun on any airplane
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:55 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
The DX7s also has servo slow down. Flaps are fun on any airplane
Are you sure ?, my Dx7 doesn't.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:58 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,949 Posts
Or you can take a normal servo and reverse it your self
http://web.archive.org/web/200708300...oReversing.pdf
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:22 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
The DX7S is a new radio. The old DX7 didn't have this feature. I believe the DX5 "gear" channel is non-adjustable... so, if you use it for flaps, you're going to have to use it with a separate servo and surface than the ailerons, and you're not going to be able to fine-tune the travel, so your mechanical setup might be more tricky. With a DX6i or better, your ailerons can be the flaps and you can adjust everything so it works exactly like you want.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
DX7s not DX7