HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:25 AM
Cypress Texas
Joined Dec 2007
400 Posts
I second the comment about the kit quality ver nice indeed.I got the red and blue version
Anyone have a suggestion for a pilot source?
I was thinking Wally World
CaptPJB is offline Find More Posts by CaptPJB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:06 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
United States, KY, Leitchfield
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystro View Post
EPP kit arrived today. I am impressed with the kit parts. And, I am now even more impressed with all who have scratch built the FFF Magnum Reloaded.

TonyS
Got mine too. Pics to follow. I am very impressed with the kit. The foam looks like great quality and the parts are cut well with the actual airfoil in the wing. That's the one thing that was keeping me from finishing the build I started on mine.
I am not sure what motor and prop to run though, any suggestions from "the kids in the hall"? I have a 1200 KV C2826 Aeolian motor, is that too much?
BigD1961 is offline Find More Posts by BigD1961
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More SEFF pics.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD1961 View Post
Got mine too. Pics to follow. I am very impressed with the kit. The foam looks like great quality and the parts are cut well with the actual airfoil in the wing. That's the one thing that was keeping me from finishing the build I started on mine.
I am not sure what motor and prop to run though, any suggestions from "the kids in the hall"? I have a 1200 KV C2826 Aeolian motor, is that too much?
If all these great reviews keep comming in i might have to break down and clean the cobwebs off of my wallet and order one. Better Yet i will send the buy site to my kids for a x-mas gift for ME . : And you thought i was realy going to buy it myself . lmao joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:05 PM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
If all these great reviews keep comming in i might have to break down and clean the cobwebs off of my wallet and order one. Better Yet i will send the buy site to my kids for a x-mas gift for ME . : And you thought i was realy going to buy it myself . lmao joe
And you have only one item on your wish list? I handed my son a slip of paper with nineteen "I really could enjoy life better if I had this" items on it.

TonyS
tonystro is offline Find More Posts by tonystro
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:42 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,670 Posts
We have 9 left. Taking them to HEF this weekend. We will load them back into the site Sunday Night if we dont sell out. We also have another batch on the way... round 2 should be here soon and able to be under the tree for Christmas.
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystro View Post
And you have only one item on your wish list? I handed my son a slip of paper with nineteen "I really could enjoy life better if I had this" items on it.

TonyS
Yea i sold off 15 planes in the last 3 months and i still have over 40 still hanging from the ceiling in my basement. Thats what happens when you have been building planes for 30 years and collecting kits too. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2011
419 Posts
What are the thoughts on Glue... I am thinking Epoxy... but am open to suggestions... Cannot seem to find UHU Por around here...

As to a motor.. i will use either this one.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14739 Which does a nice job on my heavy FFF versions, or this one.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2069 Which I have on my lighter $tree foam version.... With an 800ma battery this motor gives about a 25 minute flight...
ggrimley is offline Find More Posts by ggrimley
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley View Post
What are the thoughts on Glue... I am thinking Epoxy... but am open to suggestions... Cannot seem to find UHU Por around here...

As to a motor.. i will use either this one.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14739 Which does a nice job on my heavy FFF versions, or this one.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2069 Which I have on my lighter $tree foam version.... With an 800ma battery this motor gives about a 25 minute flight...
I would go for the Hextronic. Very efficient, economic. But the choice depends on how light you want your plane to be.
As to glue choice, the perfect match for EPP is polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue in your country). When set, it is hard. While curing it expands and grows into the foam, thus improving adherence between non-smooth adjoining surfaces. Hot wire cut surfaces, though, tend to be shiny and smooth which need to be sanded finely to break the surface and allow the expanding glue to enter the material.
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:24 PM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley View Post

I think either will work, but I am going with a equivalent to the Hextronix because I have five brand new ones.

I agree with Pigeonflyer, I have successfully used Gorilla Glue "Dries White" (not the standard brown) for EPP slo flyers, and a couple of larger EPP planes as well. I have also used thick foam safe CA and cool melt glue.

TonyS
tonystro is offline Find More Posts by tonystro
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:47 AM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Magnum Reloaded kit

Well, I guess this will have to go into the "Kit" threads now, but here are the pictures of the kit I promised from WM park flyers.
I am going to try to get started on it today so I can have it ready for indoor flying this Wed. But seeing as how this is my first foamy kit, I will take it as it comes and fly when it's ready.
I plan on using hot glue for the build. I want to use magnets to hold on the floats instead of the supplied rubber bands. I am going to look for a figure to place in the cockpit, as wild figures are kind of expected in these planes. I am thinking Snoopy with his WW1 fighter gear and scarf.
I'll post updates as it goes along.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:01 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,325 Posts
Very happy to see this kit available. Mine was an act of desparation.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:26 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Very happy to see this kit available. Mine was an act of desparation.

Ken
You know, I wanted one badly enough to start building my own (after a long search on the forums for anyone who would make me a kit) but my knowledge of foam scratchbuilding is limited to, oh.... I don't know......nothing!
So I started my own build, then ran into questions like, thrust angle and foam type / thickness, etc. and just gave up until I saw the kit finally available.
I am pretty excited about getting started, and if I am right and this plane turns out to be as much fun as it looks like on the 'net.....it won't be my last one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
419 Posts
Pilots and Glue

On my first build I used Owens Corning Fanfold (1/4" 6mm) foam and a lot of hot Glue as well as brown gorilla glue and Titebond II wood glue.. both of which dried brown... that is ok if you are careful... Hot glue adds a ton of weight.. so use it sparingly... Subsequent builds I used 3/4" high density foam for the center core of the fuse and pontoons and the wheel/pontoon supports... made things much quicker and lighter. On the last build I used light weight bead board (3/4") for the center cores and Dollar tree foam board with paper removed (4-5mm) for the outer coverings. Also I used Loc-Tite seal and stick contact glue. The end result was a very light and durable plane.

For pilots, I went to WalMart toy section and got the little soft plastic creatures, which I used in the closed cabin models.. for #5.. the open cockpit model I went to the Family Dollar and got "Trixie" With long blond Hair... In my biplane I made a foam Snoopy from Chara's thread. Here are some pictures of my pilots... If you want the link to snoopy let me know and I will find it for you...

All of the various pilots seem to be able to fly the crafts very nicely... Trixie likes to hit the shore... Here is a 1.6 minute video showing the problem with magnets holding on the pontoons... I have had good luck with magnets, but some times it takes a little more...
P 5 Just for Joe (1 min 43 sec)
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
419 Posts
One more comment.. Motor angle is very critical on this model (perhaps on all models)... each of my five have taken a lot of washers added under the motor mounts to get it right... but when landing on the water, it sure is nice to have the correct thrust angle... I assume on the kit it will not be a lot different, as each builder will mount the motor a little differently, esp if using hot glue which is my preference for motor mounting... but so using, the seam between the foam and the wood will vary in thickness from one side to the other, necessitating some washers to be added to adjust the angle..

Another tip... be sure before your first maiden flight that your CG is in the right place.... My first one was way off and it was almost her two flights in one (First and Last)
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
419 Posts
Flying high

Here is another shot of Trixie flying the Magnum Reloaded.. She is a great pilot, loves the wind in her hair and the easy handle-ability of the Magnum Reloaded. With the pontoons she had a bit of trouble landing