HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:40 AM
Crashy McLandington
Northern Colorado
Joined Dec 2005
590 Posts
I hope there's a bunch of good examples, it's a neat flier!
bob loblaw is offline Find More Posts by bob loblaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:43 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
I hope there's a bunch of good examples, it's a neat flier!
I should have mine up in the air this weekend, that is if it does not snow again...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:46 AM
Crashy McLandington
Northern Colorado
Joined Dec 2005
590 Posts
Nice, mine had a little crinkle on the top of the tail right out of the box.

The wings shear right down the black lines...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Got mine and flew it Wednesday,

do not exceed the throws for the elevator given in the manual!
When i gave it a bit more in high rate it snaped over and went nose high and took a lot of time to recover, long enough to hear the dozen or so people at the field watching making sounds of horror on what they expected to follow. luckily, i have had a lot of experience with the sabre airframe(50mm jpower) and thrust vector jets to be able to recover it from this situation.
First flight my right rear gear fell off on touchdown on paved runway, making me take it back up and into the grass. reglued and then on second flight lost the nose gear on landing. looks like the glue didnt penetrate through the silver paint and pulled off the foam. Easy fix at the field, just be sure to bring foam safe CA with you if you plan to use the landing gear.

wasnt able to get a third flight in that day, will post more info later.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post
Got mine and flew it Wednesday,

do not exceed the throws for the elevator given in the manual!
When i gave it a bit more in high rate it snaped over and went nose high and took a lot of time to recover,
long enough to hear the dozen or so people at the field watching making sounds of horror on what they expected to follow. luckily, i have had a lot of experience with the sabre airframe(50mm jpower) and thrust vector jets to be able to recover it from this situation.
First flight my right rear gear fell off on touchdown on paved runway, making me take it back up and into the grass. reglued and then on second flight lost the nose gear on landing. looks like the glue didnt penetrate through the silver paint and pulled off the foam. Easy fix at the field, just be sure to bring foam safe CA with you if you plan to use the landing gear.

wasnt able to get a third flight in that day, will post more info later.
sounds like this may be what issues some are having?
I think I will set my expo at 50% to soften things up before flight
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:15 AM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
sounds like this may be what issues some are having?
I think I will set my expo at 50% to soften things up before flight
i think i used 35% expo on the elevator and it was perfect, just dont give more throw than the manual says, infact i think i used that distance for high rate(100%) and set low rate to 75%. Also excessive throw can also cause the horizontal stabalizer to flex with the elevator input and cause unequal throws which cause roll
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post
i think i used 35% expo on the elevator and it was perfect, just dont give more throw than the manual says, infact i think i used that distance for high rate(100%) and set low rate to 75%. Also excessive throw can also cause the horizontal stabalizer to flex with the elevator input and cause unequal throws which cause roll
I think that's what I have mine set to now..
and I may add 15% more...
I think the throws if I'm not mistaken are set from the factory?
but I may turn those down to..
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:14 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Maybe twitchy servos, or flimsy tail?

Perhaps adding CF to tail would help.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:35 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Mar 2008
268 Posts
Adapter for dx8...
Eas thinking about just making my own, will a 2s lipo work for the power supply side? Or does it have to be life?

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk
Oryon is offline Find More Posts by Oryon
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:41 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Simple Questions

1. On full power takeoff is the plane going into a vertical climb even if you are trying to flatten it out.

2. Is your plane trimmed to what you feel is level flight at 3/4 power?

3. Have you had what felt like a uncommanded pitch up and lost of control or power lost.

For me it's.... YES, YES, YES
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:47 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Maybe twitchy servos, or flimsy tail?

Perhaps adding CF to tail would help.
Till the stab broke in the crash it was firm. No sign of twitchy servo's they have been quiet other then that one noise we hear between the two last crashes.

The plane is very well designed and built and flies nice. Other than just having to figure out if there is a RX problem, motor shutting off problem, or flying problem.. And solving this problem.

I'm going to have to do some more ground testing first to see if I get that motor shutting off and red light going out again.. Before risking more flights with mine..
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:16 AM
The woods
Joined Feb 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryon View Post
Adapter for dx8...
Eas thinking about just making my own, will a 2s lipo work for the power supply side? Or does it have to be life?

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk
I'm wondering the same. May experiment tonight, wont be out anything if it.doesn't work.
scribble79 is offline Find More Posts by scribble79
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:52 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
LB, Having seen these flown a bunch, what I saw was to much elevator to soon, once the nose pitched up, my guess is from input, as the speed bleeds off, you feel a loss of control due to the lack of airflow across the surfaces and it continues on it's tragectory and eventually flops over backward. Very different from a prop driven aircraft. My first flight in a double gym i performed a variation of your video as i yanked the plane up before it was ready and as the angle of attack rose and the speed bled, i hit a point where the fan angle in relation to forward motion created the flip. Moral of the story, let the plane build speed. Out doors, it will rotate witout input when ready. Jets can catch you out until you adjust to them. They won't forgive quite so much as a prop plane as in many situations a big prop blast over the surfaces will make everythinh OK. Maintain speed and explore the stall at altitude. This plane can be flown very slow but you do have to keep thenose down. Curious about your battery however, what was the temperature? How long had it sat? Best of luck to you!!

DJ
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:06 AM
Crashy McLandington
Northern Colorado
Joined Dec 2005
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Simple Questions

1. On full power takeoff is the plane going into a vertical climb even if you are trying to flatten it out.

2. Is your plane trimmed to what you feel is level flight at 3/4 power?

3. Have you had what felt like a uncommanded pitch up and lost of control or power lost.

For me it's.... YES, YES, YES
No, yes, yes. Uncommanded being I didn't move the right stick at all but it went into a hard climb until it stalled.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:13 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
LB, Having seen these flown a bunch, what I saw was to much elevator to soon, once the nose pitched up, my guess is from input, as the speed bleeds off, you feel a loss of control due to the lack of airflow across the surfaces and it continues on it's tragectory and eventually flops over backward. Very different from a prop driven aircraft. My first flight in a double gym i performed a variation of your video as i yanked the plane up before it was ready and as the angle of attack rose and the speed bled, i hit a point where the fan angle in relation to forward motion created the flip. Moral of the story, let the plane build speed. Out doors, it will rotate witout input when ready. Jets can catch you out until you adjust to them. They won't forgive quite so much as a prop plane as in many situations a big prop blast over the surfaces will make everythinh OK. Maintain speed and explore the stall at altitude. This plane can be flown very slow but you do have to keep thenose down. Curious about your battery however, what was the temperature? How long had it sat? Best of luck to you!!

DJ
Yea I was thinking that the pitch up and vertical climb on takeoff was a lack of airspeed over the elevator,, and as the plane goes more vertical the plane in effect is also becoming more tail heavy as the battery weight get more in line with the CG.. So as I can't keep the nose down I'll have to either reduce power or maybe add a little down elevator to throttle mix. But hate to do that as it will make the pitching up on power reduction even worst. Maybe I'll try more elevator throw but add a lot more EXPO to smooth it out..

Good think now that I have wrecked it and the blade has the nick in it I'll be more willing to explore the flight envelope and see if I can force it to do what it's been doing when I tell it to not when it wants to do it..

All flight's in those three videos were flown with freshly charged, warmed Hyperion 240mAh packs as the stock battery I received will only power the plane for seconds. I did one test last night with one of these 240 packs doing 3/4 to full power run ups at 2 minutes into the test the red light on the RX blinked ON and OFF a couple of times and the motor followed with powering down and back up. I didn't notice if the elevator was moving also.. The motor had full power up to the 4 minute mark where it then started to slow down so I stopped the test..