HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:55 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
Sounds similar. And I know what people are gonna say. You got it too slow and it stalled, yada yada.. let's think this through. I'm holding full power for takeoff. Nice, not pitchy climbout, level out still holding full power and accelerating. Recipe for a stall? No, not at all. And that's when it decided to go vertical with no stick input. My first thought was the canopy came off and the battery shifted back. Nope. CG correct too. Maybe I hit a bird's wake turbulence. All I know is that it didn't do what I told it to and I certainly didn't cause it to wallow into a stall.
Did you watch my second flight video where it did the flip at 1:00 I still think it was going to fast to stall and I was heading down hill with the power on..

And this thing is so light and has so much power that if it's pointed level and the power is on it should start flying right away even if it was stalled..

I wish I had a HobbyTown where I could go pick one up for $106 I would go get another one... But at 135 and none left in town looks like I'll be waiting till March by than I'll see what happening and if I want another one.... As it is mine is now going to be sitting on the shelf..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:01 PM
Crashy McLandington
Northern Colorado
Joined Dec 2005
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Did you watch my second flight video where it did the flip at 1:00 I still think it was going to fast to stall and I was heading down hill with the power on..

And this thing is so light and has so much power that if it's pointed level and the power is on it should start flying right away even if it was stalled..

I wish I had a HobbyTown where I could go pick one up for $106 I would go get another one... But at 135 and none left in town looks like I'll be waiting till March by than I'll see what happening and if I want another one.... As it is mine is now going to be sitting on the shelf..
Well, like somebody else said in this thread there is no such thing as too fast to stall. You just have to exceed the critical angle of attack on the wing. I haven't got to check out the stall characteristics of this model, I'd expect them to be somewhat vicious.

My other EDF is the big foamie HABU, and it's fairly docile in the stall, it wobbles a bit and gives tons of warning.
bob loblaw is offline Find More Posts by bob loblaw
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,842 Posts
Quote:
I use an older T9CHP which has never given me a single issue. The Anylink bound to the plane upon power up and all the throws were in the correct direction. But no motor initialization. The only way I could get the motor to work was reverse the channel, full stick for no throttle. Reverse it again and quickly pull the stick down to the bottom, then throttle works normally. You have to do this every time. I played with the subtrims and epa's.

This radio system has issues, I think.
If you read the directions (page 8) that came with the Sabre you will see that the motor wont arm unless you give the stick full throttle till one beep is heard and lower the stick and you will hear 4 quick ones...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:08 PM
Crashy McLandington
Northern Colorado
Joined Dec 2005
590 Posts
Manuals are for sissies!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:14 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Well, like somebody else said in this thread there is no such thing as too fast to stall. You just have to exceed the critical angle of attack on the wing. I haven't got to check out the stall characteristics of this model, I'd expect them to be somewhat vicious.

My other EDF is the big foamie HABU, and it's fairly docile in the stall, it wobbles a bit and gives tons of warning.
OK I'll agree there,, but what if I was telling it to speed up and go down and it pulled up and slowed down?

I was just doing a test here with mine to see if the vibration from the chipped blade was going to be to bad to fly it. I started my timer and was running the throttle between half and full back and forth leaving it at one place for about 15 seconds.. At around the 2 minute mark the red light on the plane blinked off and on a couple of times and the motor was slowing
down and speeding up with the light. I didn't think fast enough to check the elevator... Thinking this must be LVC I then went to full power which it still had and it ran at full power till the 4 minute mark where is then slowly lost speed and stopped..

I think it's would still be flyable,, but I'm afraid to fly it now with the radio problems..
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I had to redo the secondary programming, first try the rudder did not work. Redid the programming back to normal and then to secondary again and it all worked. I ended up making my own cable for my DX8.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Manuals are for sissies!
LOL!
to be fair, this is the only manual I've read on a new plane..
mostly because of this AnyLink system.. and I did notice that the link would shut down when I was moving it on the table where I was setting up my Sabre and the motor spun up all on its own?
the AnyLink did loose signal 3 times while setting up this jet...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:

My other EDF is a F-18 It's about like the F-86 you can hold the nose up and walk it down. But then it does what I tell it to do not just pointing at the sky while cutting power when it wants to. And making me walk it down when that wasn't my plan...

With he red light on the RX just now flashing on and off when doing a motor test I'm even more thinking it not my flying..
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:29 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
LOL!
to be fair, this is the only manual I've read on a new plane..
mostly because of this AnyLink system.. and I did notice that the link would shut down when I was moving it on the table where I was setting up my Sabre and the motor spun up all on its own?
the AnyLink did loose signal 3 times while setting up this jet...
I would double check and make sure your cables are tight.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:33 PM
Crashy McLandington
Northern Colorado
Joined Dec 2005
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
My other EDF is a F-18 It's about like the F-86 you can hold the nose up and walk it down. But then it does what I tell it to do not just pointing at the sky while cutting power when it wants to. And making me walk it down when that wasn't my plan...

With he red light on the RX just now flashing on and off when doing a motor test I'm even more thinking it not my flying..
Not so good.. Going to be a little nervous about flying the replacement. These things don't bounce too well, why couldn't they have used Z-Foam?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:10 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
341 Posts
Well mine is pretty much toast!! I flew it yesterday afternoon for a very short flight. Followed all the instructions per both manuals, etc on setting it up with a DX6i. I also had what seemed like some kind of pwr disruption, or something with the rx. I didn't worry too much about it at the time. I did a range ck before the maiden and everything seemed ok. I took it off and did a couple of wide circles. On the third time around the plane looked to pitch up pretty much vertical, stall, and then crashed into a group of trees!! Tore off most of vert stab, punched a hole in right wing, etc. Not really sure if it was a Anylink problem, LVC, etc. All I know is that I did not command up elevator at the time of the lose of control, and it didn't seem my control inputs duriing my attemped recovery had any effect. I have been flying fixed wing rc since 04, and would consider my skill level to be high intermediate. I think I will wait it out with other flight reports from you guys before I buy another F86.
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I would double check and make sure your cables are tight.
that's what I was doing when it lost signal?

but I just did two more test.. one at 30% throttle and another at 45% throttle, and things are looking good..
now I'm calculating the amp draw at those settings..
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,178 Posts
M3_matt: Maybe another unexplained AOA/stall issue, a la Livonia Bob.....

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
M3_matt: Another unexplained AOA/stall issue, a la Livonia Bob?

Not really sure? I was in a slightly banked left turn a 3/4 throttle before it pitched up and fell off. Like someone else said earlier, a plane can stall at any attitude or airspeed!! I do not think it was a accelerated stall like I think Livonia Bob mentioned. In my situation the thing pitched straight up then spun in!! It happened so damn fast all I could do is basically watch it come smashing down on the trees. I might power on the the plane again and see if I can find out if its a electronic problem, etc.
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:11 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
514 Posts
Hmmm, it sounds like a couple good pilots on here are having grief. Are there many folks out there flying their new f-86s who aren't having problems? So often I think we just hear about what is not going right on forums, and people don't bother posting about uneventful outings. I hope you guys get things sorted out and continue to share your findings.

Thanks!
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato