HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:30 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
That was the first thing I did, works great. I had a lot more damage to the surrounding foam but nothing major.

The more I think about this, this thing is just awesome. I was able to pick mine up from my LHS for $106.99 minus a $5 dollar coupon for $101.99. That is a steal and checked with the clerk several times to make sure that was the correct price and he confirmed it and asked if I wanted to pay more.

I will be ordering all future purchases from my LHS they have been great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Picture of my box mod so that I can store the F-86 in the box with the landing gear attached..

Still wondering why they didn't mold these holes in the box for us..
Attached Thumbnails

Mod to box done using the Micro Therm Flameless heat gun to melt the holes..
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:49 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
That was the first thing I did, works great. I had a lot more damage to the surrounding foam but nothing major.

The more I think about this, this thing is just awesome. I was able to pick mine up from my LHS for $106.99 minus a $5 dollar coupon for $101.99. That is a steal and checked with the clerk several times to make sure that was the correct price and he confirmed it and asked if I wanted to pay more.

I will be ordering all future purchases from my LHS they have been great!
That was a great price,, And I thought that I was getting a deal at $135.00.. But as I had a $100.00 gift card from Christmas from my son the cost was only $35.00.. So a much better deal than the Tower one.. And I'll buy my second one from the LHS also but I'll wait till the others in the area get their first one,,,, or maybe not depends on how it flies.. But I do need one for flying and one for show....
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Im jealous guys lol
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:01 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
950 Posts
Hey guys spent the weekend flying the F86 at E-Fest really impressed with how it performs. I will be doing some more outdoor flying over the next week with it, time to take the gear off

Devin McGrath
Devin McGRath is offline Find More Posts by Devin McGRath
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:07 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
on the lipo, with micro deans, the prong sticking out is on negative or positive side?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:10 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
on the lipo, with micro deans, the prong sticking out is on negative or positive side?
They used the so called industry standard of letting the positive be the exposed pin.. My personal standard is to always protect the positive so I had to switch the plane over to match LB's standard..
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:22 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Damn

My lipos have the negatve pin exposed (doesn't this make the most sense?)

So I'll also have to change my over like you did Bob, or make an adapter I guess.

I plan on using HK Nano Tech 180's, but they might not be big enough anyways, so maybe I'll have to get some 240's in which case, I can fix it there

Quote:
They used the so called industry standard of letting the positive be the exposed pin.. My personal standard is to always protect the positive so I had to switch the plane over to match LB's standard..
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:31 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I thought it was the negative, I will double check.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,562 Posts
I have to say I got one while at Efest and I am really impressed. I have been waiting for a micro EDF to come out for a long time and was happy to see the Sabre! I have only flown it a couple times so far, but it does fly very well. I have done a couple hand launches with it, as well as rolled off the gear and it takes off within 50 ft and climbs out nicely. It does nice loops, scale rolls, and just looks good in the air!

I look forward to more of Great Planes Tx-R Airplanes, and hope there will be some more Edf`s coming............................................ .................................................. ............................................... Hint Hint Micro L-39

I`ll post a little more in depth flight report as soon as the Lovely Northeast Weather Starts behaving!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:37 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
950 Posts
It comes with the positive pin exposed on the battery side.

Devin McGrath
Devin McGRath is offline Find More Posts by Devin McGRath
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:40 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Damn

My lipos have the negatve pin exposed (doesn't this make the most sense?)

So I'll also have to change my over like you did Bob, or make an adapter I guess.

I plan on using HK Nano Tech 180's, but they might not be big enough anyways, so maybe I'll have to get some 240's in which case, I can fix it there
As I have hundreds of micro Deans made to my standard it was easier to change the plane and stock battery over. If you do this make sure you cover the area with aluminum foil so that the soldering iron doesn't melt any of the foam. I cut the heat shrink off and then replaced it with JB KWIK as there isn't room in there to replace the heat shrink.

I made up two Hyperion 240mAh battery packs so far.. I'll have to say I was glad when I got them done as it's hard doing the power leads and the balance plugs on these little ones without setting the house on fire. On the next batch that I do I'll do it a different way I think. As I'm using HK 2S balancing charger extension cables I'll do them as one piece next time and not as two separate wires like I did this time,, then I'll not have the problem of soldering two wires and a tab at the same time as I'll just strip the wires in the middle and solder that to the battery tab,, having the balance plug on the one end and the Deans premounted on the other..

I have to go to the post office to mail a slipper clutch out and the flying field is right next door to it.. From looking at my street there is a chance that the flying field/parking lot might be free of snow.. But it's still to windy I think for a first flight.. But I might take it with me ,,, and if the Champ likes the air I might try the F-86 out.. If not I'll fly the V120D02S.. It doesn't care if it's windy or not..
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:45 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTALJR View Post
I have to say I got one while at Efest and I am really impressed. I have been waiting for a micro EDF to come out for a long time and was happy to see the Sabre! I have only flown it a couple times so far, but it does fly very well. I have done a couple hand launches with it, as well as rolled off the gear and it takes off within 50 ft and climbs out nicely. It does nice loops, scale rolls, and just looks good in the air!

I look forward to more of Great Planes Tx-R Airplanes, and hope there will be some more Edf`s coming............................................ .................................................. ............................................... Hint Hint Micro L-39

I`ll post a little more in depth flight report as soon as the Lovely Northeast Weather Starts behaving!
How is it in the wind?? I'm looking at 8-10 MPH right now and wondering if I should go give it a try..
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:47 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin McGRath View Post
It comes with the positive pin exposed on the battery side.

Devin McGrath
Yes this is correct and the way Deans tells you to do it for what ever dumb reason I don't know.. As most people are used to real car, boat, airplane etc where we always protect the battery positive lead. I for one wasn't going to be using to standards as it's to confusing for me. So I always protect the positive one.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
right i forgot about the balance leads as well

why dont hyperions come with them? Dont you have to balance a 2S?

I might just make an adapter to convert over to +pin exposed, as it'll be easier.

jb quik as heat shrink? good idea; liquid electrical tape would work as well, except I cant get it here

Bob

you build slipper clutches for people?

ps

link to 2S balancing charger extension cables

Quote:
As I have hundreds of micro Deans made to my standard it was easier to change the plane and stock battery over. If you do this make sure you cover the area with aluminum foil so that the soldering iron doesn't melt any of the foam. I cut the heat shrink off and then replaced it with JB KWIK as there isn't room in there to replace the heat shrink.

I made up two Hyperion 240mAh battery packs so far.. I'll have to say I was glad when I got them done as it's hard doing the power leads and the balance plugs on these little ones without setting the house on fire. On the next batch that I do I'll do it a different way I think. As I'm using HK 2S balancing charger extension cables I'll do them as one piece next time and not as two separate wires like I did this time,, then I'll not have the problem of soldering two wires and a tab at the same time as I'll just strip the wires in the middle and solder that to the battery tab,, having the balance plug on the one end and the Deans premounted on the other..

I have to go to the post office to mail a slipper clutch out and the flying field is right next door to it.. From looking at my street there is a chance that the flying field/parking lot might be free of snow.. But it's still to windy I think for a first flight.. But I might take it with me ,,, and if the Champ likes the air I might try the F-86 out.. If not I'll fly the V120D02S.. It doesn't care if it's windy or not..
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
right i forgot about the balance leads as well

why dont hyperions come with them? Dont you have to balance a 2S?

I might just make an adapter to convert over to +pin exposed, as it'll be easier.

jb quik as heat shrink? good idea; liquid electrical tape would work as well, except I cant get it here

Bob

you build slipper clutches for people?

ps

link to 2S balancing charger extension cables
I don't know why they don't come with them they should,,

I didn't like the adapter way as to much chance of making a mistake one day and smoking it,,

Yes I prefer the JB KIWK as it does a much better job cures in minutes not hours like LET I use it on all my Deans connectors on the heli's,

slipper clutches are for the Walkera 120 size shaft driven tail heli's as it stops the tail drive system gear stripping problem..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577528

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_bag_.html