SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Discussion
GP micro F-86 Sabre chat thread

Looks like we need a more friendly thread to talk about this great plane..

And what ever else is on your mind.. Usual chat rules,,, every post must be about something or other.. But no posts allowed about someone's post being off topic..

I have converted mine over to my standard micro Deans lay out and made up two Hyperion 240 packs for her...

Please read the corrected instruction manual, link below to down load it in pdf.. For the important update on the CG location.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...7&d=1333442506
livonia bob is online now Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Apr 03, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:46 PM
The woods
Joined Feb 2011
104 Posts
Bob did you get any of the foam melted or did your do enough protections to not burnt the connecter when changing over.
scribble79 is offline Find More Posts by scribble79
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
Bob did you get any of the foam melted or did your do enough protections to not burnt the connecter when changing over.
I cut away the heat shrink with a sharp #11 X acto knife, then I took some aluminum foil about 5" X 5" and cut a little X in the middle for the Deans to fit through and used it to cover the area where I would be working. I then covered the whole plane with some wash cloths that I use for working on stuff here at the desk. I was able to unsolder and switch the wires. I then use some J-B KWIK to cover the wire/connector ends like I use on my heli's..

No damage to the plane at all..
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:30 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I am trying to decide whether to make an adaptor that will go from the Deans on the plane to my UMX batteries. Got the connectors and everything. Not sure which way to go here.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:51 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I am trying to decide whether to make an adaptor that will go from the Deans on the plane to my UMX batteries. Got the connectors and everything. Not sure which way to go here.
I also gave a lot of thought to just changing it over so that I could use my Beast batteries.. But went with the switching the Deans over to my standard way.. I'll use my normal at home chargers and take the one that came with it with me in the truck so I can recharge from the cigarette lighter..

I did also look at making up a deans to Beast 2s balance adapter but didn't yet.. I'll see how it flies first and how long it looks like it's going to last me.. Hate to get too much stuff ready for it and then total it on the first flight..

I charged up the stock battery on the charger that came with it and it never shut off,, so I'll have to look into it more..
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:14 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
I have set mine up on the DX6i,, aileron, elevator and rudder all needed to be set to reverse..

Lots of power,,, it feels like without the wheels it might go unlimited vertical this was with the stock battery haven't try to see what the Hyperion 240's will do... But my wheels will stay on it..

I'm still very happy with it!!!

I'm going to start off with 65% L and 85% H on rates and +15 and +25 on EXPO on E,A,R. after looking at the control throws I'm getting.
Last edited by livonia bob; Feb 14, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
.....Hate to get too much stuff ready for it and then total it on the first flight.....
I want to laugh at that.........but it brings back painful memories........

Good luck!
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Tried it with my tactic 402 radio that came with my Fokker. It needs some programming to get it to work right, hopefully. The rudder is on the aileron throws and the ailerons are on the rudder throws. I did run it up and man does this thing sound mad! I ended up making a short adaptor from UMX to Deans. I tried the stock and hyperion batteries and there was a very noticeable difference between the stock (15C) and the hyperion (25C) batteries! This thing is going to have some awesome performance!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:41 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Tried it with my tactic 402 radio that came with my Fokker. It needs some programming to get it to work right, hopefully. The rudder is on the aileron throws and the ailerons are on the rudder throws. I did run it up and man does this thing sound mad! I ended up making a short adaptor from UMX to Deans. I tried the stock and hyperion batteries and there was a very noticeable difference between the stock (15C) and the hyperion (25C) batteries! This thing is going to have some awesome performance!

I'm thinking the same thing,,, also sounds neat..

I'm going to use some of my thin clear Velcro to hold the battery in,,,, I don't trust the magnets when doing outside loops..

Hyperion 240's 16.0g Stock 200 13.5g not a bad trade off for the extra power..
Last edited by livonia bob; Feb 14, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:06 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I was thinking the same thing I did shake it upside pretty good and they held fine.

Quote:
I'm thinking the same thing,,, also sound neat..

I'm going to use some of my thin clear Velcro to hold the battery in,,,, I don't trust the magnets when doing outside loops..
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:18 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing I did shake it upside pretty good and they held fine.
I went ahead and did mine.. Don't want the battery sliding backwards on those high G takeoff rolls...
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Some interesting reading material..

http://www.wingweb.co.uk/aircraft/F-86_Sabre_Part1.html
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:09 AM
The Last Question
United States, UT, West Valley City
Joined Oct 2006
546 Posts
Quote:
I'm thinking the same thing,,, also sounds neat..

Hyperion 240's 16.0g Stock 200 13.5g not a bad trade off for the extra power..
Could you tell me the velcro you used? Or a link if its not too much trouble. Thanks.
Entropy76 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy76
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:42 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy76 View Post
Could you tell me the velcro you used? Or a link if its not too much trouble. Thanks.
http://www.velcro.com/index.php?page...e-backed-clear

I get it at Wal Mart.. But most places will have it. it thin clear just the right thing for light weight batteries.. I get the 3 1/2" X 3/4" strips in the pack of 4 as they don't ever have the 10 pack..
http://www.velcro.com/uploads/images/product_91327.jpg
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:46 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Moved from closed thread

Picture of my box mod so that I can store the F-86 in the box with the landing gear attached..

Still wondering why they didn't mold these holes in the box for us..
Attached Thumbnails

Mod to box done using the Micro Therm Flameless heat gun to melt the holes..