HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sir_clive, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:49 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
Discussion
BluBaby 42" with Clark Y profile - Part 2

Finally, the second part of my blog.

Except for, maybe, covering the wings with packing tape and for placing a few decals, the Baby is finished. And she looks GREAT!

Of course, there are some points that I would do differently now, but that's what it's all about: learning.

Here a few of the most important experiences I made:
  • Always TAKE YOUR TIME. Measure 3 times, cut only once. Don't hurry things. There is nothing worse than spoiling a great job with a small but irreversible mistake done because one was not patient enough
  • Watch out while painting your plane. As you can see, I managed to do my paint job less than perfect, although I took quite some time to mask the wing. See point one.
  • Always use your glue as it was designed to! I had to throw away my first fuse (presented in the first part of this blog) and to completely redo it because I applied UHU Por badly. I just poured it generously over the EPS and connected the parts before waiting for the glue to dry up a bit. The result: at first, the connection seemed OK, but than the glue ate its' way through the EPS and the bond was destroyed!
  • Watch out for your cats (if you have any) not to develop too much of an interest in your plane. Luckily, I cought my cats chowing on the scrap EPS parts laying around, but it also could have been the wing!
  • Clark Y wing inclination recommendation: 3 deg positive.
  • Take your time when thinking about the placement of push rods. Also make sure the push rod is not fixed too near the control horn, otherwise it won't be able to move freely enough
  • Take the laminating film (the office stuff) and iron it onto the EPS. It gives the EPS great strength and very nice look! Adviseable: spray some glue onto the EPS before, to make sure the film will really stick to the EPS. Also first try it on a scrap piece of the EPS, to make sure you chose the correct temperature!

Specifications:
  • Wing weight (42" plus the winglets, including servos): 180g (6.35 oz)
  • The AUW is 660g (23.3 oz), with a 3s 1550mAh LIPO, which sounds pretty light to me.
  • Wing loading: 24g / sq. dm (7.98 oz / sq. ft.)
  • Wing Cubic Loading: 4.67 g / cu. dm (interestingly turns out to be 4.67 oz / cu. ft. )

If the calculator on http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm can be trusted, the stall speed should be 19.8 km/h (12.3 mph), provided the max. lift coeff is indeed 1.295, as stated on http://www.worldofkrauss.com/foils/483.

But enough talk, let's move to the pics.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Last edited by sir_clive; Feb 14, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:04 PM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Sweet build mate!
I am completing my first build at the moment, the Pitts Challenger from Tony65x55. Certainly is a learning process, and I am pretty sure I will have to re-make my monoblock too!

I think I will make a BB 33" KFM sport wing one soon.
Looking forward to hearing a flight report
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:37 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
Thanks pal! I'm afraid the flight report won't come for the next 1.5-2 weeks, the weather is horrible. But I'm looking forward to it too!

The pitts Challenger looks great, and the size sounds just right! I was planning to move to a similarly sized warbird next (I *love* WWII planes), but the Challenger could just as well be the next one that I build. Which motor / prop did you choose for your plane? Your blog is (still? ) empty.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive