HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:40 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,255 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Repairing my Whirlpool Calypso Dryer!

Well guys,

Forced Labor:
I usually do an ALL NIGHTER for my RC airplane models but, in this case I was force to do it for my 10 year old Whirlpool Calypso Dryer. The reason being was because about two days ago my family member informed me that the dryer was making this loud squeal noise from the bottom front area of the dryer. Sure enough, it was loud and wash was building up after almost one solid week so....what does a guy have to do!

History / Background:
The Calypso line was the most expensive Dryer appliance you could find at Sears and other outlets back in late 2002 and since I bought them late in the year, I got a very good deal. They were still expensive as far as my book is concerned.

Years past and had the Sears Service and Repair agreement and let me tell you...don't do it! These so called repair men came and left without really doing a complete cleaning on the unit and thereby large clumps of Lint built up as a result. I was shocked to find the machine with lots of Lint within the motor windings and motor idle pulley and other parts of the machine.

Thought to share my repair result with you all in case you might have a similar issue with your machine. Of course we all must follow SAFETY first and make sure you disconnect the POWER cord from the Wall outlet (220 Volt for Electric dryer).

I did not take any pictures at the time I initially opened the machine by taking the lower and front panels off. I was just too ashamed because I should have not allowed the machine to reach this level of neglect, however, I can tell you all that I was able to save myself a large amount of money doing it myself and I almost ordered a motor at a tone of $157.90 plus shipping but, instead I sprayed CRC 2-26 into the bearing case of the motor, both front and rear after a good vacuum to all areas, parts and cable harnesses.

Just look how much they want for a motor:
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...rHelpVideoTabs

$157.90 Big Ones plus Shipping!!!

Okay, a few pictures!

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/w...InternalsB.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/w...rfinished2.jpg

Later I will upload the Video showing how Smooth and most especially quiet it runs now!!!

As promised!! Here is the Video!!!
Whirlpool Calypso GEW9868KQ1 Repair 02-14-2012 (5 min 4 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 14, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts