SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:23 AM
Life Is Good.
Texas
Joined Jan 2011
566 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix 4 vs. RealFlight 6 Screenshot (Comparison)

I realize this is not a comparison yielding empirical data, but just for kicks. Here are two screen shots from both simulators, showing their Cub. Graphics are maxed out on both. Graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT555M 3GB

Photos L to R:
1. System specs:
2 Phoenix 4.0 (Beta)
3. RealFlight 6
FlyinCowboy is offline Find More Posts by FlyinCowboy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FlyinCowboy; Feb 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:32 AM
Breaker of Things
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2011
284 Posts
I can't tell which looks better, but maybe that's because the images aren't full size? If I were judging the "looks" based on the planes alone, I'd probably go with Phoenix. The RF6 one is just a bit too polished or something. Too crisp?

But that grass in RF6 - that's some nice looking grass. Probably takes the sting off a bit when it jumps out to bite our planes.
elbowdonkey is offline Find More Posts by elbowdonkey
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:44 AM
Life Is Good.
Texas
Joined Jan 2011
566 Posts
Here are 100% crops of the above two photos in the same order.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Jan 2005
554 Posts
What anti aliasing options do you have set in your display options? Whilst Phoenix does this inside the simulator Realflight requires you do it via your display options. They appear to be different.

Realflight shadows are better, look at the support for the rudder in both screenshots.

That particular scenery in Phoenix has a lot of stitching errors (ghosting / blurry grass)

Have you tried comparing the Realflight Sky crane and P51 with their Phoenix equivalent ??
nemo_uk is offline Find More Posts by nemo_uk
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:34 PM
Breaker of Things
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2011
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo_uk View Post
Realflight shadows are better, look at the support for the rudder in both screenshots.
Definitely true.

I think the texture for this model in Phoenix is well done. It almost looks like there's some wear and tear on the model - adds to the realism. On the other hand, the environment textures (at least this one) are pretty sloppy.

I will say though - Phoenix runs better than RF on older hardware. On my Macbook Pro it runs flawlessly in Parallels. RF6 has a bit of trouble (but that's less RF6's fault and more Parallels' janky video driver).

It'd be interesting to see screenshots from other sims. I'm hearing good things about FS One - maybe if I pick it up I'll post here.
elbowdonkey is offline Find More Posts by elbowdonkey
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
PhoenixRC looks better, 2D fields that is.
Scenery is not the best one, so not a fair compare. (RF has some ugly grassy ones too)

The models in PhoenixRC look better, more real, because they use real Photos for their schemes.

Shadow of the rudder is different in PhoenixRC as the sun position is different.............

But personally I think Aerofly 5.7 beats them all
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Last edited by Puzom; Feb 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, IN, Grabill
Joined May 2004
1,523 Posts
The grass in Phoenix is much more realistic, look at the dandelions and weeds and different kinds of grass. RF is pretty much fake grass
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Jan 2005
554 Posts
Quote:
I tend to agree Aerofly is the best "looking" Simulator...

Eurocopter Tiger (Aerofly 5.7) (1 min 12 sec)

Phoenix with their use of photos look good from a distance but close up ....
nemo_uk is offline Find More Posts by nemo_uk
Last edited by nemo_uk; Feb 14, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo_uk View Post
Phoenix with their use of photos look good from a distance but close up ....
True Never really zoom in that close, so I have no problem with it.

PhoenixRC does not use bumpmapping etc. This way they keep system demands to a minimum. So yes, zoomed view models will always look less good.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
But now that Phoenix has a chase view, well they're gonna have to clean things up a bit I think.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:32 PM
Life Is Good.
Texas
Joined Jan 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
But now that Phoenix has a chase view, well they're gonna have to clean things up a bit I think.
Yep. Graphics are a few generations behind. Reminds me of Flight Sim for Windows 98. What I'd do is focus more on content and the quality of THAT content, rather than creating these sub par 3D expansive environments that are lacking visually.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:16 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
I wouldn't go that far, I'd leave in the 3D enviros and options... but leave them in long term Beta while delivering upgrades/enhancements to the base product. I really do like the chase view because it's training my thumbs to not move as much... because I can see the instant input effects on surfaces rather than guessing why my plane is or isn't doing something. FPV, I don't really care about, but some do.

However, the base product is what I (and hopefully everyone else) mainly rely on for actual sim to real life training. The rest is just bonus.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2007
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
PhoenixRC looks better, 2D fields that is.
Scenery is not the best one, so not a fair compare. (RF has some ugly grassy ones too)

The models in PhoenixRC look better, more real, because they use real Photos for their schemes.

Shadow of the rudder is different in PhoenixRC as the sun position is different.............

I have RF6, Phoenix and Aerofly5.7
RF screens look better this time around physics for planes is 2nd to none.
Phoenix 2d screens look really good i like camera positions better than RF. water scenes are awesome in Pheonix.
But after getting Aerofly 5.7 it is hard going back to the other 2, fields are nothing short of amazing, physics are believable.

Aerofly 5.7 cub screenies.
brentg is offline Find More Posts by brentg
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentg View Post
But after getting Aerofly 5.7 it is hard going back to the other 2, fields are nothing short of amazing, physics are believable.
Yup exactly the same feeling here.
Love their Multi-pano fields and the ambient light is superb.

Some custom material:

- http://www.ipacs.de/forum/forum.php (forum mainly in German)
- http://aerofly-sim.de/download (German too)

Cheers!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:30 AM
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined May 2006
135 Posts
Which one of the the three is the best in terms of physics and flight characteristics ? If your using this for practice and learning the fine detail of graphics should be down on the list.
rz22g is offline Find More Posts by rz22g