HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
Discussion
APM 2.0 vs DJI NAZA?

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about either of these flight control boards? I need to decide very quickly as I already have an order in for the APM 2.0

Thanks
Harrison256 is offline Find More Posts by Harrison256
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
One has user-friendliness of about 1/10, while another one is more like 10/10.
If you like endless dicking around, of course choose APM.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined May 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
One has user-friendliness of about 1/10, while another one is more like 10/10.
If you like endless dicking around, of course choose APM.
Is that a fair comment considering this is a new version? and no one has really played with it yet
chipp is offline Find More Posts by chipp
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
62 Posts
I think very fair
farooq_niaZ is offline Find More Posts by farooq_niaZ
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farooq_niaZ View Post
I think very fair
I am one person looking at getting the new APM so i would be interested in hearing of any issues with the V2
glenncol is offline Find More Posts by glenncol
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
Technically, almost nothing changed from V1. Just a minor sensor refresh. Still same buggy core code, still same obsolete 8bit MCU, and of course, the same arduino setup that requires endless screwing around to get anything to work. Far from Naza's plug-and-fly setup.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Oct 2011
24 Posts
But once you actually do get it setup, you have an incredibly stable and full featured system. Especially with 2.3, with the addition of the rate-D, people are getting really nice results. It also benefits a lot from simonk's esc firmware.

The Naza is limited, but easy to use. If you have a problem with it your going to have to wait for DJI to resolve, with the APM there are hundreds and hundreds of active users all working on revisions and modifications to the code.

RTL and auto landing are working pretty well now, new code to automatically tune PID's is being worked on, waypointing is fully there. The old circling loiter problems are being squashed as the stabilize loop is getting more attention, resulting in all other modes behaving as they should.

There is also some promising work being done with inertial navigation, not the mention the upcoming switch to ARM chips in line with the rest of the Arduino family.
AP7d is offline Find More Posts by AP7d
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
Ahh perfect guys this is exactly what I need to here. What about overall flight characteristics of each? And is it possible to add GPS to NAZA at all?

I am currently on the preorder for APM 2.0 but really considering switching to NAZA.

Also I'm pretty sure the MCU is 16bit? but I could be wrong
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:50 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,464 Posts
From my point of view it is easy, if you wanna be part of a project, that evolves, than the AMP is great, if you find and resolve an issue or implement something new you get acknowledgements from hundreds and hundreds of other users. But if you just want to fly a copter?

If you have a good friend and this friend is maybe not an expert in computers, he is just a pilot that wants to get familiar with multicopter, think of the amount of questions he will pose to you if you recommend the AMP (yes of course you can say "look at the wiki"), and now see how happy you would have been (and he would be) recommending Naza (or something comparable).

There have been, and there still are great opensource projects out there, but that does not mean that every opensource project is great, or that everything should be done with opensource. As beeing a software engineer, having hundreds and hundreds of users who contribute and check in, I do not want to be the one who tidies up that mess (of course, if there are two, three or four motivated people working together that can change everything).

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:45 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison256 View Post
And is it possible to add GPS to NAZA at all?
Nope - and probably never will. So no GPS features like RTL/waypoints/autoland etc. Also no support for Octos (and y6?) and PPM sum.

Neither of both FCs are "plug&fly". Both require hardware- & software setup and tinkering/tuning to adjust the values for your airframe and both require a good choice of motors, ESCs, receiver&transmitter.

I guess you pre-ordered the APM for some reasons. If they are still applicable you might want to stay with your decision.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
I think I am going to stick with my decision, I like the all of the extras on APM 2.0 my only concern was tuning it but if they both ultimately require a lot of tuning (especially if PID related) i might as well stick with APM
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Aug 2004
874 Posts
Quote:
I think I am going to stick with my decision, I like the all of the extras on APM 2.0 my only concern was tuning it but if they both ultimately require a lot of tuning (especially if PID related) i might as well stick with APM
Pretty much everyone here has valid points. I have been testing the Naza lately and I am impressed with it's stability and altitude hold. It is also pretty easy to setup and tune, but the drawback is you are more limited on what you can tune or control. The APM2 on the other hand looks very promising with a ton of capability at $200. I expect it to be a little more technical to setup and tune so if you wanted to keep your time on the computer to a minimum it may not be for you.

I'm not going to say you made the right choice or not, but I myself have a APM2 on pre-order and I'm eager to see what it can do. I think it has a lot of potential and we'll start to see that soon as more and more people use it. But to me neither controller is actually "better", it just depends on what you're doing and the goals you want to accomplish. If you said you need return-to-home then obviously the APM2 would win. If you said you wanted a more simple install and configure with a more manual controller then the Naza might win.
ramovan is offline Find More Posts by ramovan
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:01 AM
Flying like a bird!
Saudi Arabia, Riyadh Province, Riyadh
Joined Feb 2010
253 Posts
I love the comparison especially totally agree with 'ramovan'
as TC mentioned in the beginning sure...naza is user friendly.
Actually Naza is for the people who don’t want to play with setup.
In most of the cases, the default setup will take care of your flight without much headache provided you have recommended air frames, ESC and Motor etc. stuff. One day you will be saturated with Naza because there is nothing else to invent.
On the other hand, APM is for the people who want to do research and studies. You will be thrilled when the bird is flying smoothly and hovering...with your own frame and setup..
I had before UVAX .... I had very hard time to make the setups...I was about to give up.. so for hard working technical people.. APM is the choice..

happy flying..

Dominic

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Quote:
dompower is offline Find More Posts by dompower
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Jun 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP7d View Post
The Naza is limited, but easy to use. If you have a problem with it your going to have to wait for DJI to resolve, with the APM there are hundreds and hundreds of active users all working on revisions and modifications to the code.
This is a common misconception (and applies to this as to many other projects). "Community driven" means only that there is a bunch of people developing it. It does not mean all these people are there to help you. They have no obligation to help anyone. If they do, that's just pure kindness and being a great guy/gal. A company on the other hand HAS to give support to its customers or it will lose them.

I have discovered that most of my problems have been left unanswered in APM forums. I may have asked the wrong questions or something but still... A friend of mine had some issues with his Wookong and received an answer from DJI support within 24 hours. These are just my observations and should be taken as such.
Trnquill is offline Find More Posts by Trnquill
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:31 AM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
If you want to compare, then you need to compare two similiar feature sets
that means

Wookong x APM

plug and play x DIY - it's as simple as that

regular users couldn't care less if it's tarduino or ARM as long as it works well - APM does a good job with mission planner - regular user does not need to know it's arduino at all when updating and setting up.

There are problem in a software, sure, but I'd be very surprised if Naza/Wookong didn't have their own backlog of critical issues, you just don't hear about them because it's not as open.

IMO there's still nothing "better" than APM for a guy who likes DIY and open source. Not until someone makes ARM-based UAV.
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko