HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Mar 2010
132 Posts
Discussion
Radio Frequency for Long Range?

Right now we are using a 2.4Ghz radio to fly the plane. How far can we safetly fly using the 2.4ghz frequency? Should we move to something lower for a 1 mile to 2 mile radius? What about a 20 mile radius? I would imagine something like Dragon Link for the latter.
AeroWRX is offline Find More Posts by AeroWRX
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroWRX View Post
Right now we are using a 2.4Ghz radio to fly the plane. How far can we safetly fly using the 2.4ghz frequency? Should we move to something lower for a 1 mile to 2 mile radius? What about a 20 mile radius? I would imagine something like Dragon Link for the latter.
depends on the equipment you got, if you have say a spektrum dx6i you will be limited to under a mile, if you have a good quality tx and tx then maybe 2 miles is max, then you need to start looking into boosters, and all that, but i dont know enough to offer usable advice i just know that a your limited with factory equipment
keithy351 is offline Find More Posts by keithy351
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:55 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,432 Posts
The way I understand it, the folks going over 10km are all using UHF in the ~433 MHz range. It's what I use (Dragonlink)

Spektrum w/ satellite Rx might get you up 1.5km, and I've seen it done on video w/UMX fpv planes, but I will not take it over 1km myself.

I am also planning to pick up another 9x and put a FRSKY unit in there, w/ patch antenna -that can supposedly get several km out, best range of any 2.4 RC kit.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:36 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroWRX View Post
Look into 433mHz based HAM band systems as you want to venture past a mile with no concern. Study the variations on each and accept it will take some time to study them all, but once you understand how they work, the various options you'll be glad you spent the time. You'll need to get your HAM Technician's License which is easy to get and a good thing to have. There is great study info on RCG posted by BloomingtonFPV.

As for the 20 mile thing.... don't ask... way past what you need to be thinking about. Is it possible, sure.... but only few have been on a trip out that far and it takes tons of experience and knowledge for long range stuff like that. It's best to start small inside of 1 mile and work your way out with success.... if you fail bring it back in some and repeat.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave