HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, IA, West Des Moines
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Discussion
First hexacopter Looking at 6061 fpvpilot ...any reviews on this or suggestions?

I've been searching for awhile trying to gather up information about hexacopters. There is some great information out there but I always value the opinions of people that have had a lot more experience.

My plans are to build a hexacopter with FPV and video recording capabilities. I like the idea of finding a kit for the frame, motors and some of the basics. I'm on a mid to upper end budget, hopping to stay under 2 grand when all done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
timo123451 is offline Find More Posts by timo123451
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
It started with a red biplane
Joined Nov 2011
197 Posts
Hi
I would advise to first do what i did.
Go through this entire thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355
It was very helpfull for me.
tony3di is offline Find More Posts by tony3di
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:36 PM
It started with a red biplane
Joined Nov 2011
197 Posts
ho
I forgot ... if you do things right u can even stay below 1 grand ( if you already have a camera for it). What i was told is start small preferably a plug'n'play one to get a feel for it and then start to build your own to specs.
This could be a good starter http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...#quickOverview
tony3di is offline Find More Posts by tony3di
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
75 Posts
I too am curious about the FPVPilot hexacopter frame. Has anyone tried one, and if so can you post your impressions/weight figures.

It looks nice, strong, durable. But weight is important.

I tried asking them how much the frame-only weighs (could not find on their website) but did not receive response.
uavrat is offline Find More Posts by uavrat
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
It seems we are in similar boats, i'm just a little further down stream.

I was too looking to stay around a $2k budget and might end up staying under it... without my FPV gear. I did what most people advised and will advise you to do, buy a decent to good simulator. I bought the Phoenix Fly Simulator $129 and spent a ton of time flying there. If you already have a lot of stick time and are comfortable with a transmitter (not coax toy helis) then you may just skip this. I bought the version with the Dx5 and wish I didn't, I wont be using that for my hexa and wish I had more practice on my new TX. Hell, even if you dont need the practice a buddy and I get together once in a blue moon, hook the sim up to my 55inch TV and drink while flying all night.... it's safe and provides lots of laughs.

After that I did my research on flight controllers and realized the DJI NAZA ($230) was hands down the best choice. There are tons of info around to read through and PLENTY of helpful people ready to answer questions.

I was really interested in the F450 quad from DJI and liked the idea of a ARF unit since I am fairly new to all of this.... then I learned of the F550 Hexa. It's only $620 WITH the Naza FC, just add battery, transmitter and receiver. It just got to distributors this week and I hope mine is here by the end of this week.

Where to buy?
I cannot talk up Robert at DJI USA enough. Being new to all of this I had questions, when I actually knew what to ask, and he answered them all quickly (even once on a Saturday... sorry Robert). I was needing a new transmitter with more channels and he not only recommended one but ordered it for me. Seeing as how he was going to have my transmitter already, I went ahead and paid for his professional build service which includes test flying on my new transmitter/receiver. This took away the fear that my soldering or building skills would cause my new $620 toy to come falling out of the sky.

My totals so far?
$620 Hexa
$120 Pro Built
$580 for Futaba 8FG Super/receiver
$150 or so in batteries/charger
$300 GoPro Hero2 (I already owned this for riding my Yamaha 700R)
$100 in misc stuff (prop balancer/helping hands for soldering/heat shrink)
$130 Flight Sim

$2000 so far which includes the $300 camera I already owned. I plan on adding some FatShark Dominators and some 5.8 FPV gear soon....I havent priced it but thats about another $500.

Sure there are other/cheaper ways to get in the air, there are also more expensive. I went with the way that I knew I would have the most support from RCGroups, a distributor that I trust, all while also having reliable/quality parts.

Note:
I quoted the price I got things for... prices go up and down and I have no control over that. I also have never flown the Hexa I am recommending, I am basing all of my info off of the countless hours of reading I have done and recommendations from people with WAY more experience than me.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites