HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
122 Posts
Discussion
Rallyon's Flamewheel build and set up for FPV

Hi all, I hope its OK to start a thread about my own personal setup and experience, I didn't know if I should post this in the FPV, Aerial vid, Multi, naza... threads, so i just started this one.

Basic F450 kit:

DJI Flame Wheel first flight (7 min 28 sec)

Flying the Flamewheel FPV (5 min 45 sec)

Week #2 flying FPV (4 min 37 sec)

Roll stabilization (0 min 26 sec)

Gotta say, I LOVE this new dimension to RC hobby! It' so fun to be able to explore new places with this thing. I'm excited to try new things and for it to get WARMER!

Thanks for all the info on this forum! Lots of knowledge here, and most of it is given out graciously I hope in my turn I am able to contribute something useful back into the community.

Ryan
rallyon is offline Find More Posts by rallyon
Last edited by rallyon; Feb 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: adding new vids
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Outstanding build Ryan, keep the videos coming.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:34 PM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
Excellent Ryan, thanks. I have the F450 kit; just about ready to bind/calibrate and program the electrics. Yours is the first video I've seen with the Spektrum radio which is what I'm using.

Did you use the gear switch as your "two position switch" to change between attitude and manual?
Additionally, the leg extensions are great.

Thanks for your time.
SeniorSpan is offline Find More Posts by SeniorSpan
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:42 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I am loving the Flame wheel frame, I have a WKM mounted on mine all FPV tricked out with a Range Video OSD. I feel like I am doing a special OP's mission when I fly it with all the telemetry info and AHI.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
122 Posts
Senior, I did use the GEAR channel for the ATTI/MAN switch, I have been mostly leaving it in ATTI as I creep around getting familiar with FPV flying. I like the stability, I have rallied around on MAN and its pretty fun, but I have been really eager to do the FPV for now.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
122 Posts
Tarro - Yes, position hold would be sweet! But I fear dji has no motivation to make GPS for NAZA since they already have WKM. There is likely a Hex in my future though, so I may try some higher-end systems.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
Thx Ryan. I'm looking forward to getting it into the air. Had a binding problem with the radio but it it turned out to me not the radio. Just need to do the electrics and adjustments, then clean up the wire bundles and put the top plate on.

I appreciate your time.

Cheers

Bob
SeniorSpan is offline Find More Posts by SeniorSpan
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:50 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Awesome setup. I want one exactly like yours
What video tx are you using and what kind of antenna is that ?
Also, I see you have your receiver running off the main battery, do you also have the FPV camera and TX running off the main battery?
I have range video equipment that's a few years old and lost the 900mhz 500mw TX when my plane crashed.
Tried to get another one from Vova but he won't return my emails so I need to find another TX and maybe not 900mhz this time.

Bought a HPQ-1 and waiting for it in the mail.
But already wanting to build a F450 with NAZA for FPV
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
122 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm loving this!

Some still frames from this mornings flight, would have flown longer but my transmitter battery was getting low! I'll get some video uploaded sometime soon.

jasper - Video is lawmate 300mw 1.3 with Blue Beam Antenna set. Check out ReadyMadeRC. I had a patch, but I like this Omni-directional way better because I like to fly all around me, look up IBcrazy's antenna designs on RCG, good stuff.

enjoy!

Ryan
Last edited by rallyon; Feb 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: answer queston
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:46 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Excellent video. One of the best.
I've got the same frame. How did you do your lg extensions?
Nerm is offline Find More Posts by Nerm
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I too want those same leg extension. They look great.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:20 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
My, what a big deck you have...

Nice video and build
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
122 Posts
Leg extensions are just 3/16 carbon flat stock TIGHTLY ziptied to the inside and outside of each "landing pad". I use the small zipties because they are more elastic and I feel i can get them tighter. I pre-drilled and put one screw to hold them from sliding down, working great so far, the bottoms are held together with a little rubber nipple used to seal off automotive vacuum ports. I was going to glue them in place but the have stayed put nicely!

Very happy with them, visually they flow with the stock frame and I think simple is best!

MCrites - Yes deck is bigger then my "house" !
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
122 Posts
I balanced my motor bells and used some of these avionics mounts that we had around the hangar to whip up a prototype mount today. plan to use carbon or abs sheet soon soon, just wanted to try these dampers out. I was having random jello with my GoPro and wanted it gone for good.

Initial tests look real good, but I think the harmonics from the wind were part of the jello problem so when its stop raining I will test.

Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:59 AM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Looks good, can you provide a full spec list? I'm looking for a basic quadcopter FPV setup so I can get flying, and this looks perfect

Thanks

Matt
Add1ct3dd is offline Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd