SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Sep 2008
296 Posts
absolutely fantastic looking plane. I'm a WWI fanatic, but I love FW-190s and spitfires

I would highly suggest printing directly to foam to make it lighter. a profile WWII fighter aircraft with a 16" wingspan should only weigh 32 to 35 grams all up with battery.

you could even use the same or a similar construction method.

this would make indoor flight much easier as it could be slowed down.

that being said, it is a great little model, at the present weight, it probably cuts the wind outside quite nicely, and looks amzing doing it.

I would be interested in purchasing those graphics from you and have a go at it using my construction method. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55808

great stuff
thank you for sharing
dcwwcp
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:39 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Hi dcwwcp,

I must admit I did look at and very much consider printing on Depron before choosing the sticker method over it for a few reasons.

First was quality of print achievable on the sticker material which really supported the artwork I produce,

second was the enourmous amount of strength and durability the covering provides to the model - I coudnt believe how well it holds together even in the worst crashes. I've had a few RTF aircraft in my time - it is so much more durable.

thirdly the stickers also provide structural functions such as wing and tail bracing and attachment points for UC and their presence creates pockets in the fuselage for putting servos and hiding wire, control rods etc.

And fourthly I wanted to make an engaging kit and something a little bit different.

The sticker material & print is also waterproof and chemical and abrasion resistant too as well as being extremely light itself.

But none of that would have mattered one bit if the aircraft had to be flown too fast to control easily or look stupidly unscale in the air because it was too heavy.

At just shy of 59g I think it's actually pretty close to where it wants to be. In flight, especially with the brushless motor and less pitchy prop, it can slow right down with no nasty stall characteristics looming. You have to remember its 1/24th scale not 1/28th like the UM Mustang and Corsair so the wing area at 16" is wide enough to generate plenty of lift for its mass at lower speeds.

Indoors is definately possible. I have flown in a low ceiling hall that was 60ft x 40ft. It was a little challenging but mainly due to the ceiling only being about 15ft away.

But then I look at the models you make and think hmmmmmmmm, they are lovely. It's another great technique for model building.

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Last edited by deadbird; Mar 01, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:20 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
The only thing that is vaguely comparable are the profile birds sold by Robotbirds in the UK
such as http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4723

and http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1305

They're, to put it politely, dog rough - very poorly printed and epp sheet which has nothing like the surface of depron. Not in the same class as yours at all but the pricing might give you a marker as to whether you can make your project sing for you?
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:09 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
The only thing that is vaguely comparable are the profile birds sold by Robotbirds in the UK
such as http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4723

and http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1305

They're, to put it politely, dog rough - very poorly printed and epp sheet which has nothing like the surface of depron. Not in the same class as yours at all but the pricing might give you a marker as to whether you can make your project sing for you?
Thanks for flagging those Roger. I try and keep my eye out for similar products but hadnt come across those babies.

Out of interest (and hypothetically) would you pay an additional 15 for the Fw190 if it was presented to you side by side with the Micro Street Racer?

Or indeed would there be enough interest for something like the Fw190 for you to make a purchasing decision at 39 for a kit (excluding motor & ESC) without ever seeing the competition??

I'd be very interested to know what you think.

Jon
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:04 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2012
247 Posts
hi jon, i think the attraction with these is how it looks. the level of detail on those graphics will be the main selling point i think. given the type of material being used i suspect polished alu effect p-51's will be possible. in terms of pricing i think the best option is to look at similar products in the micro scene. the micron site would probably give you a good idea as to kit price. bear in mind that with a lot of the kit's, covering, wheels are needed on top of the kit.
http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/model_browser.html
39 seems about right to me.
paul_mccaughey is offline Find More Posts by paul_mccaughey
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:44 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_mccaughey View Post
hi jon, i think the attraction with these is how it looks. the level of detail on those graphics will be the main selling point i think. given the type of material being used i suspect polished alu effect p-51's will be possible. in terms of pricing i think the best option is to look at similar products in the micro scene. the micron site would probably give you a good idea as to kit price. bear in mind that with a lot of the kit's, covering, wheels are needed on top of the kit.
Hi Paul, I think your right. Its definately about the looks. I'm hoping that it will also be about ease of succesfully building the kit and subsequent flight performance too but that will only come with time. Building the brand!

Funny you should mention the polished alu effect. I actually tried some of this material recently but the only stuff I could get was 2 x the weight of what I normally use. I'll keep on looking.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Sep 2008
296 Posts
well the UM mustang is wingspan is 16" also.

I say lighter is better, but you are absolutely right about it being tougher.

you're graphics work is fantastic, and I do love to see a different building technique.

it looks like a fun build.

If you make it a kit, that will go a long way for how many you sell.
there are alot of planes that look good, and/or fly well, but if they are not a fun easy build, they get avoided.

my criticisms are only meant to be constructive, and if you make kits, I would be interested in purchasing one.
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:19 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
The critisicms & observations are always very welcome. The weight issue is always one that is at the forefront of my mind when building and I have to agree that lighter is definately better.

If I'm going to produce kits seriously I have to listen and absorb the harshest of critisisms and advice and use it to improve the product steadily. There is so much expertise and experience in these forums that it would be damn foolish not to.

The subject of wingspan actually brings up an issue I had to put a bit of thought to when designing the aircraft.

At 1/24th scale the Focke Wulf should have a wingspan of 438mm (17.25") but of course part of that wingspan includes the width of the fuselage. In a 'profile' scale model this is next to nothing.

So - do I extend the wings to keep the dimensional scale - but loose the profile or do I reduce the wingspan by the width of the fuselage and keep the scale profile in the wings?

Well, I figured I would prefer to keep the wing area accurate as it would look more scale and may even exhibit some scale characteristics of the aircraft if I'm lucky.

So the actual wingspan isnt scale but the performance (possibly) is.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:29 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
OK - new brushless prototype build starts this weekend. Last peice of the puzzle arrives tomorrow (if tracking info is correct). A newly fettled motor mount prototype.

I havent posted any of the brushless Fw190 images yet because the ones I have been testing were a bit of a hack job on previously coreless motor prototypes.

The change over to brushless has meant a whole new mount design, reconfiguration of the sticker layout up front too, not to mention changes in the cavities in the Depron.

Still - all done now - which should result in an easier build and a better flying experience.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
What a brushless Focke Wulf 190 looks like

Managed to complete the build over the weekend of the Fw190 with the brushless motor installed in a milled prototype mount.

Also took the opportunity to add a few enhancements too. These included:

Removeable portions on the nose sticker to prevent tearing and general finger wrestling with the complex shape. Makes for a less fraught experience!

Treads on the tyres giving the wheels a bit of a lift,

and reversing of the drop tank mounting system so if you fly the Fw with the tank on but U/C off you can still belly land it - the tank just comes free as soon as it hits the deck. Slots back in a second.

Test flying should be a breeze as I have already flown the Fw airframe with brushless installed - just not in the new mount. (Famous last words)

XCWeather.com is predicting super light winds tomorrow so I will have to get out there when I can.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
588 Posts
Looking good!
JSS4 is online now Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Dec 2010
54 Posts
Wow that plane looks sweet. Are you going to post vids of the 190 with the brushless? Also when you sell your kit will it be compatible with both brushed and brushless?
jake21 is offline Find More Posts by jake21
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:27 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Im hoping to shoot some video this weekend - if its not raining/blowing a gale/snowing etc - this is England!

The Fw is going to be an out and out brushless butcher bird. In fact for all the late war aircraft I hope to design, this 1s brushless setup provides an almost perfect power range for scale performance.

I have tried to eek the same performance out of coreless motors but for the weight they dont quite get there and I have gone thru around 20 motors trying, living up to their unreliability reputation.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Typical - rain & wind forecast for tomorrow. Sunday could be better. I need to move to a warmer climate!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
393 Posts
Yeah, the weather here hasn't been the best for flying either.

Your work inspired me a couple weeks ago and I used a bunch of scrap bits to throw together a D9 variant (on my blog). I haven't had the right mix of warm enough and low wind to get out and give it a maiden.

It's my first attempt at a scratch build so I don't expect it to fly worth beans, but the process was loads of fun. I guess fun is all that really matters at this point in my learning curve.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l