Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
54 Posts
Hey deadbird do you have any rough estimate on when the kit will be out? Also do you plan on selling different skins for the 190?
jake21 is offline Find More Posts by jake21
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:48 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,129 Posts
Jon...were there any tutorials you found to help you to learn Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop for making the skins? I'm thinking it might be cool to try doing something similar for printed tissue.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
Hey deadbird do you have any rough estimate on when the kit will be out? Also do you plan on selling different skins for the 190?
Jake21, with all the main panels, shading etc done it wont be difficult or take too long to do a whole set of different Fw190 liverys from both the Eastern & Western front. I have collated enough information to do a number of them already. All it takes is time and a bit of investment for printing setup. In theory it would be possible to put together a whole 'Staffel' of differently marked aircraft.

I am aiming at April/May for release but dont hold me to that!
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:12 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
Jon...were there any tutorials you found to help you to learn Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop for making the skins? I'm thinking it might be cool to try doing something similar for printed tissue.
I learnt Photoshop through trial and error over a very long period of time. I dont think I have ever looked at a tutorial for anything in Photoshop although I would imagine there is a huge amount of info out there - youtube etc. I'm still scared of Illustrator and just use it for the basic outlines.

If you have any experience with either package, however small, I would recommend setting yourself a task of illustrating a small component - say a rudder or a wing tip. If you keep it small your not going to get overwhelmed and frustrated.

Take your time doing it because you'll find out what works for you and you will be developing your technique all the time - which can then be translated to larger components and soon whole aircraft.

Unfortunately I'm not sure there are many shortcuts, just a long old lurnin' curve!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:10 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Onto the Fuselage - some new ideas

The build continues with the fuselage starting with installing all the furniture that sits between the port and starb'd sides.

This includes a carbon tube, pre bent tail wheel wire (following the shape of the Fw190's actual tailwheel) and a mounting plate that sits in the nose. This plate provides a neat place to attach the electronics.One side battery and ESC, the other side the Rx brick. A few lozenge shaped stickies are use to hold everything in place before bringing the 2 fuselage pieces together.

The fuselage pieces have a channel pre cut into the Depron to accomodate the CF tube.

I have designed a clip system for the Rx brick that occupies the port side of the aforementioned mounting plate. It provides an easy, glue free installation of the precious electronics. The Rx brick can be clipped in and out very quickly and is supported by a secondary design for a quick release system for the elevator and rudder control rods that attach to the linear servos on the brick.

The ailerons are controlled by a specially designed servo arm. This very direct method has so far proved a very reliable and simple system. Feedback to the servo is never enough to damage it - even deliberate pushing of an aileron thru its full plane of movement. The 1.7g servo supplied sits in a pre cut cavity and is installed before the port side sticker is applied.

I wanted the main controls from the Rx brick to run under the sticker surface. Originally I had CF rods with z bend wires that ran over the surface of the model but it really detracted from the look and spoilt the graphics.

The pre bent rudder & elevator control rods run through a plastic sleeve that lies on the surface of the Depron and is covered and held in place by the port side fuselage sticker.

The last few images show how this comes together. It looks a bit messy but as soon as the port side fuselage sticker is attached it all dissapears!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:24 PM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
374 Posts
Looking great so far Jon.

One thing I thought of while flying my 1/9 scale FW190 today was that the swastika can cause issues with some folks. Are you going to be providing them as separate decals that can either be added or left off?

I understand the desire for historical accuracy. I just don't want to have my enjoyment of the plane taken away by dirty looks and insults--it's happened before.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:34 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall_l View Post
Looking great so far Jon.

One thing I thought of while flying my 1/9 scale FW190 today was that the swastika can cause issues with some folks. Are you going to be providing them as separate decals that can either be added or left off?

I understand the desire for historical accuracy. I just don't want to have my enjoyment of the plane taken away by dirty looks and insults--it's happened before.

Cheers!
Randall
Randall,

That swastika issue is one that I had thought about but put to bed in my own head in the fact that it is part of the livery of an historic aircraft. But I was only thinking of it from the perspective of the modeller - most of whom I dont think have a problem with this.

It never occured to me about those onlookers who may see it as offensive. I must admit I did have one individual recently who was most put out that I was flying a German aircraft on British soil! - I was at the local cricket pitch, I can see their point!

So I think I should do as you suggest!

Thanks Randall
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:42 AM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
374 Posts
That would be great Jon.

Most folks who frequent my favourite park don't mind me flying German planes. Some don't mind as long as there is no swastika on them. There are a couple however, that insist I only fly allied planes while they're on their walks. Fortunately, they keep to a fairly rigid schedule and I set alarms to let me know when to change planes or go home.

I'm happy to forego some historical accuracy to keep the peace.

Have you given any more thought to funding? I had another idea that you could offer pre-orders for a deposit, say $50USD. That would allow you to collect some capital while not committing to a specific price point. It would also give you a more concrete idea who is interested.

I almost forgot to ask: Is there any airflow over the ESC?

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Most folks who frequent my favourite park don't mind me flying German planes. Some don't mind as long as there is no swastika on them. There are a couple however, that insist I only fly allied planes while they're on their walks.
That whole scene is totally absurd!

You mean to tell me all those folks "walking" have spotters guides and binoculars to check markings?

Please!!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:03 AM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Quote:

Most folks who frequent my favourite park don't mind me flying German planes. Some don't mind as long as there is no swastika on them. There are a couple however, that insist I only fly allied planes while they're on their walks. Fortunately, they keep to a fairly rigid schedule and I set alarms to let me know when to change planes or go home.

Cheers!
Randall
Hey, Randall, tell the "thought police" the story about the Brit fighter pilot and the German fighter pilot, who both had to bail over Catholic Ireland during WWII. They ended up scampering over the landscape, revolver in hand, searching each other out for "the kill." It finally got too much for them, they quit, and went arm-in-arm to be interned for the rest of the war in the sunny Irish seaside. Ck it out on Google. .

Bill
billyjim is offline Find More Posts by billyjim
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:44 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
That would be great Jon.

I'm happy to forego some historical accuracy to keep the peace.

Have you given any more thought to funding? I had another idea that you could offer pre-orders for a deposit, say $50USD. That would allow you to collect some capital while not committing to a specific price point. It would also give you a more concrete idea who is interested.

I almost forgot to ask: Is there any airflow over the ESC?

Cheers!
Randall
You must live the politically correct capital of the world.

I think funding is covered at the moment. All the costs coming in are manageable so far and MOQs arent silly. I was expecting some nasty suprises but so far so good. Suppliers seem to like what I'm doing and are being helpful at the moment. Some of them I have been talking to for over a year. Dont want to take that for granted tho!

As for airflow over the ESC - I designed it so that all electronics are hung out in the prop wash under those 'cheeks' up at the nose end. There is direct flow from prop over motor, ESC, batt and Rx.

Should do the trick!

Jon
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Tail & Wing Assembly

The pre covered stabiliser and rudder now get their control horns and install quickly & simply onto the fuselage.

The horizontal stab is secured with some fillet stickers that adhere to the fuselge and stab, keeping it locked in place.

Its then the turn of the wing, which comes as one piece with various channels and holes in. The seperately cut ailerons already have a 45 degree chamfer on them courtesy of a clever robot! No sanding required.

The top of the wing is covered first, in much the same way as the horizontal tail surfaces - just bigger stickers and a few more of them. The underside gets the CF tubes, aileron control rods and the wing brace installed before it recieves its covering.

Once all the stickering is done the wing is very rigid with a fixed dihedral, very resistant to twisting and very resistant to damage.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:06 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
[Most folks who frequent my favourite park don't mind me flying German planes. Some don't mind as long as there is no swastika on them. There are a couple however, that insist I only fly allied planes while they're on their walks. Fortunately, they keep to a fairly rigid schedule and I set alarms to let me know when to change planes or go home.]
Remind me of the antique nude statues at the Vatican museum having a strategic fig leaf added
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fig_leaf
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Feb 23, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:16 AM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
726 Posts
**** censure by people with no other interest in a subject, than the lame excuse to open their mouth and complain it provides them.
I would complain about that, their behaviour. Mind themselves.
If it would have been about nuisance or security issues...
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Chrizz; Mar 04, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:29 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Can we put the Swastika issue to bed now one and all???

I really think the subject would make a hot topic all on its own.

Just as rudder kick to get us back on course, but I would really like some feedback on the methods and techniques that have been developed for kitting a product like this. And most of all, if you havent commented on the thread yet but have been following - wether it would be a kit you would consider buying to give a go if the price point was acceptable. This isnt a commitment to buy at all but gives me an idea if it would prove popular.

Thanks - Jon