to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:01 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
It is, I did my first plastic kit in 20-25 years and that is what I did. It is funny, on this side of the ship, the Red 13 exploded and that is how the Red 23 ended up there. I figured that the two sides were flown in the same month so how could it be that bad. I am in the process of building a 1/5 scale 190 D9, go to www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1583068 to see it.

Marc
Very nice paint job on the 13/23 - clever save! and the super size Dora is looking very cool. I would love to model the D and the Ta152 in the profile format some time.
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:48 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall_l View Post
Have you given any thought to retracts or flaps? Those are probably the first mods I'd do. May as well use channels 5&6 on an AR6400/AR6410.
Maybe replace the inner trailing edge with 1 (or if you can find it 1.5mm) depron for split flaps.

Are you using normal depron or depron aero?

How about a main wing airfoil for added speed/maneuverability?

I've been messing with a paperclip and some pieces of card stock paper to figure out a way to do retracts with a single SPMAS2000/SPMAS2000L. I've got a couple ideas that might work.

Edit: I realize we're talking about a 406mm wing span, but it's possible.

Cheers!
Randall
At the moment I reckon its best left to the genius of the individual to add those sort of details at this scale. Happy to look into producing a little illustration pack for the internal wing structure and wheel wells in the future.

Also - quite by accident the channels for the CF tubes in the wing end at the nav lights and the tube to the tail ends up in line with the tail light on the rudder!!

Apart from the wheels its all Depron Aero.

Adding an airfoil on the face of it is very desireable - but in practice it causes several issues with the method of construction that arent easily resolvable so I've stuck with flat for now. Flight characteristics seem very good though.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:08 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
Hey Jon...get in contact with Andy at Micron Radio Control, he may be able to help you out with getting the core parts laser cut. He's going to be producing my line of micro kits under licenses for the UK market, so I know he's got access to a laser cutter.
Thank you zbrubaker. I'm a regular internet customer of Andy's. Didnt know he did the laser cutting.

I've actually developed a different process to cut the Depron that allows 45 degree angle cuts and the formation of channels for CF and control links. It's a little more involved than laser cutting but still economically viable (just) and means theres no need for any prep on the parts - just slap on the stickers.

Thanks for passing on the info tho, this seems to be a really friendly and supportive market to try and become a part of.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Tough little Focke

I'm really shocked at how bad I can fly sometimes - and put a camera on me and the worst always seems to come out!!!

So with some trepidation for my broken pride and complete lack of reputation, I uploaded some outakes of the video'd morning last weekend as I thought it might be of interest to everyone to see what sort of punishment this airframe design can take.

1/24th scale RC Focke Wulf 190 - the 'rough landings' (1 min 57 sec)

The Fw190 really came out of it completely unscathed apart from a few little scratches on the underside of the wings from scuffing in the ground turns. The rudder has more authority on the ground than I give it credit for...
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:45 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
886 Posts
'Bloopers' are fun. Thanks for sharing.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:47 AM
Carbondale PA
Joined Aug 2005
552 Posts
Your artwork is really excellent. I have been working with illustrator for a few years, but I have not spent much time with Photoshop. I was wondering what the benefit is of using Photoshop to add the color to your designs, and not just use illustrator.

I am working on releasing several of my 1/72 scale designs as RTF's like my Corsair.

Joe.
Joe Malinchak is offline Find More Posts by Joe Malinchak
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Laser 3D
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:08 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malinchak View Post
Your artwork is really excellent. I have been working with illustrator for a few years, but I have not spent much time with Photoshop. I was wondering what the benefit is of using Photoshop to add the color to your designs, and not just use illustrator.

I am working on releasing several of my 1/72 scale designs as RTF's like my Corsair.

Joe.
That is one beautiful model Joe. At 1/72 scale that is truely artful in looks and construction. I look forward to seeing the rest of the squadron!

To be honest I actually use Photoshop more than Illustrator because quite simply I am more familiar with it. And I think you could spend a lifetime learning all the tools and tricks in one or other of the packages. I just know my way around PS much better because I've used it for about 15 year in work and hobbies.

Jon
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Starting Construction of the Fw190

The first steps of construction centre around the stabiliser, elevator and rudder. The thinking is that this gives the un-initiated modeller a chance to get used to laying the stickers accurately on a smaller part of airframe, before tackling the larger bits.

An essential tool to ensure an easy time of it when sticking is a good pair of metal tweezers. Fingers are just too big a surface area for sticker handling. I have a rule of never picking up a sticker without using tweezers - it makes life so much easier and reduces the risk of unwanted tearing and massive amounts of frustration.

The outer dimensions of the Depron parts are exactly the same as the stickers so there is always plently of reference as to where the stickers go. They are laid in a logical order (the idea is that they'll be numbered and cross referenced in the construction manual).

If a mistake or misalignment is made the sticker can be peeled off and re stuck. This is done very carefully and I have found is best done by holding the Depron down with a steel rule as the sticker is removed.

The images below should give a good idea of the general construction techniques. I wont bore you with the complete step-by-step build in the following days but I will provide some highlights and design ideas that I think add to the kit.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
This looks so neat!
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,994 Posts
Jon,

What are Multipurpose lozenge stickers, and where do you get them?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
391 Posts
That looks about how I would have expected it to. Great work!

I found this site today. It has lots of different angles for details of Red 13.

Any timeline yet as to when you'll be ready to start releasing kits? I volunteer to be one of the testers. Any more thoughts on pricing?

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Half-good ain't all bad
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:27 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Jon,

What are Multipurpose lozenge stickers, and where do you get them?

Gene K
Hi Gene, I should have said 'lozenge shaped' stickers. 'Lozenge stickers' makes 'em sound like they're normally used for holding down cough drops. lol

They are all part of the kit. There are 24 or so of them on the sticker sheet. They get used for all sorts. I'll make sure I highlight some uses as I go thru the build.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:36 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall_l View Post
That looks about how I would have expected it to. Great work!

I found this site today. It has lots of different angles for details of Red 13.

Any timeline yet as to when you'll be ready to start releasing kits? I volunteer to be one of the testers. Any more thoughts on pricing?

Cheers!
Randall
Hi Randall,

Cheers for the support. That Red 13 youve got there is Klaus Faber's famous Fw190 D. The Dora is definately on the list to illustrate. Fantastic underside would look amazing in the air!

I'm still waiting on final pricing for various services, components and packaging so nothing definate at the moment but Im really pushing as much as possible to get things done sooner rather than later. Sorry I cant be more specific but as things start falling into place I will let you know.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:05 PM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
534 Posts
Nice model. Subscribed!
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4