Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall_l View Post
Wow, deadbird. Just WOW!

The FW190 is my favourite Axis bird as well, seconded by the Stuka.

As for funding... Have you heard of Kickstarter or Crowdfunder? They could be a funding venue for you.

Any more information on pricing or progress?

Cheers!
Randall
Randall - I have to thank you tremendously for the compliments and the funding leads. As you will see as the thread develops the kit has some components that I feel are essential to the kit but can be modestly expensive to produce. This is why I need to get a feel for the 'market' so to speak.

I'm going to have a good read thru both the sites and see what gives!

With pricing so far I am aiming for 'reasonable and comparitive' to others in the market and keeping shipping costs to a minimum.

Thanks once again!
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:20 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Heinz Bar would be proud of your rendition I would think!

Marc
Marc, I think of all the compliments and congrats that everyone has been gracious enough to post yours comment certainly makes me feel the extra effort has been worth it. Is that Heinz's Red 23 I see lurking in your profile pic?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch View Post
Deadbird, your detailed graphics really make the plane pop! You've taken the 'printed warbirds' idea to the next level, and honestly, it makes me want to build one of these.

Even more than a whole kit, I'd be interested in (paying for) a "PDF kit" -- plans plus the skins. Please let me know if you'd like to try out this sort of idea.
Thanks Jeffsch for your kind words and I dont want to dissapoint but it is very unlikely that I will do an 'e-kit'. There are a number of reasons but its mainly down to the makeup of the kit itself. Not only has there been a large amount of research into the graphics but there are some other special materials and ideas that have also been meticulously researched, designed, trialed and tested. I guess what I'm trying to say is 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'.

Stick with the thread and I hope I will be able to explain this in greater detail. And I would be very grateful for your feedback once were there!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:52 PM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
377 Posts
You're welcome deadbird. Isn't sharing and helping each other what forums are all about?

There are other alternatives. I just googled "kickstarter alternatives".

Are you thinking kit, ARF or something in between?

Personally, I'd love to throw one of the AS3X boards in when (or if) they come out as user-programmable.

Realistically, I'd pay $50USD for a kit (no electronics) or up to $110USD for an ARF (kit+motor+ESC+servos).

Of course with quite a few of the online fund sites you can have multiple levels, so you could have: kit, ARF, kit+plans, ARF+plans, etc.

I'll be glad to help out any way I can.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Dec 2010
54 Posts
Hey deadbird I had noticed that you used to make planes from molding. Is that something you still do? Sorry getting off topic but I was looking at your 109 and it looks awesome.
jake21 is offline Find More Posts by jake21
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Marc, I think of all the compliments and congrats that everyone has been gracious enough to post yours comment certainly makes me feel the extra effort has been worth it. Is that Heinz's Red 23 I see lurking in your profile pic?
It is, I did my first plastic kit in 20-25 years and that is what I did. It is funny, on this side of the ship, the Red 13 exploded and that is how the Red 23 ended up there. I figured that the two sides were flown in the same month so how could it be that bad. I am in the process of building a 1/5 scale 190 D9, go to www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1583068 to see it.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall_l View Post
You're welcome deadbird. Isn't sharing and helping each other what forums are all about?

There are other alternatives. I just googled "kickstarter alternatives".

Are you thinking kit, ARF or something in between?

Personally, I'd love to throw one of the AS3X boards in when (or if) they come out as user-programmable.

Realistically, I'd pay $50USD for a kit (no electronics) or up to $110USD for an ARF (kit+motor+ESC+servos).

Of course with quite a few of the online fund sites you can have multiple levels, so you could have: kit, ARF, kit+plans, ARF+plans, etc.

I'll be glad to help out any way I can.

Cheers!
Randall
Super useful info once again. I was thinking of doing a kit with everything but the the Rx & Tx and a kit without electronics. I'm with you on the AS3X. Wonder whats going in the new UM Spit???
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:35 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
Hey deadbird I had noticed that you used to make planes from molding. Is that something you still do? Sorry getting off topic but I was looking at your 109 and it looks awesome.
It's still sitting on the shelf waiting for new electronics. I havent continued with the moulding, only because I wanted to concentrate on this idea. Still got all my moulds so hope to get back to it sometime. Got a 1/32 Sopwith Camel just waiting to be finished off too!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:33 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Turning the artwork into a jigsaw puzzle

Tried as I might I couldnt find any covering material that suited the requirement in the current hobby market so I kept my eyes peeled. Anyone noticed the wrap they put around bottles of Cola?

Looking at the material you can see you can print on it to a good resolution, its quite resistant to stretching and it's strong too. So I eventually found a company in the UK that supplied this type of material.

I explained to them what I was trying to do and they very kindly sent samples of a range of materials that were even tougher, more dimensionally stable, self adhesive, waterproof & chemical proof and still very light.

And another advantage I was soon to learn was that the material's dimensional stability makes the aircraft a whole heap stronger. With my flying skills that's important!

Now what was needed was to work out how best to carve up and present the artwork to make it easy to apply to the airframe. The parts could then be arrange in sheets and printed and cut by robots!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
OCRCC @ MCAS El Toro
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined May 2008
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
...and cut by robots!
I like big bots!

SamBones is offline Find More Posts by SamBones
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:45 PM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
377 Posts
Have you given any thought to retracts or flaps? Those are probably the first mods I'd do. May as well use channels 5&6 on an AR6400/AR6410.
Maybe replace the inner trailing edge with 1 (or if you can find it 1.5mm) depron for split flaps.

Are you using normal depron or depron aero?

How about a main wing airfoil for added speed/maneuverability?

I've been messing with a paperclip and some pieces of card stock paper to figure out a way to do retracts with a single SPMAS2000/SPMAS2000L. I've got a couple ideas that might work.

Edit: I realize we're talking about a 406mm wing span, but it's possible.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by randall_l; Feb 16, 2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: I realize the size we're talking about
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2012
194 Posts
that looks awesome, your hard work on the detail really paid off. great thinking on the method of covering as well.
paul_mccaughey is offline Find More Posts by paul_mccaughey
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:08 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,145 Posts
Hey Jon...get in contact with Andy at Micron Radio Control, he may be able to help you out with getting the core parts laser cut. He's going to be producing my line of micro kits under licenses for the UK market, so I know he's got access to a laser cutter.
zbrubaker is online now Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, CT, Old Lyme
Joined Sep 2011
79 Posts
Simply amazing. Keep us updated!
paintmann111 is offline Find More Posts by paintmann111
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:51 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Yes Please keep us updated! This is slick! Really think your on to something here.
Jim
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot