HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:10 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Build Log
Micro Focke Wulf Fw190

Thought I would get stuck into an idea that I've been knocking around for a while. A profile super small scale warbird with the looks and detail of a much larger bird and some true scale character too.

I also wanted to base it around the ever popular AR6400 and AR6400L Rx brick and to see if I could design it so it would kit really easily too.

The FW190 has go to be my favourite Axis fighter and in researching to create the printed illustrations I got to find out a whole lot more about the aircraft and the pilots who flew them.

The actual aircraft I chose to illustrate and build, an A7 variant named 'Red 13', was flown by Major Heinz Bär in 1944. The Major was a 221 aerial victory ace. The task of illustrating the aircraft became a bit of an obsession right down to the rivets and rank!

The model spans 406mm or 16" and AUW is 57-59g depending on battery.

I really wanted to get a knee-jerk reaction to whether a kit like this would be of interest - so let me know on this thread and I'll add more detail of the build as and when I can. I'm working on several new illustrations that could see the light of day if it proves positive

Video as well.... A very dull UK winter morning and my dubious stick skills. Enough of the excuses!

1/24th profile scale RC Focke Wulf Fw190 A-7 (4 min 49 sec)
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,726 Posts
i usualy hate profile planes, but this one is awesome! love the detail on it.
nemoskull is online now Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Very well done DB

Looks very cool. Weight seem a bit high, I guess that's because it's solid foam.
I'm use to 2mm full fuselage birds with weights in the mid 30gr's.

Looks like there's no problem though, again well done.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,921 Posts
Close up pics usually show every flaw but yours show every detail, absolutely beautiful. Your plane graphics would make a killer 9'' classroom fighter.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:45 PM
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
367 Posts
Good Job, nice plane,
A P38 will be great.

Regards!
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:33 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,620 Posts
Awesome detailing and nice flying too! Now the big question, is it airbrush work or printed?
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Dec 2010
54 Posts
Sweet looking plane.

I want one!!!!
jake21 is offline Find More Posts by jake21
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:58 PM
Am I a Registered user?
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined Feb 2012
200 Posts
That's cool!!!
Eratix 3D is offline Find More Posts by Eratix 3D
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:28 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
Thanks nemoskull. I must admit I've never been that keen either but all those flat surfaces make for a great canvas and really stable in flight - I guess due to the whole fuselage acting as a stabilising fin!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:39 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Very well done DB

Looks very cool. Weight seem a bit high, I guess that's because it's solid foam.
I'm use to 2mm full fuselage birds with weights in the mid 30gr's.

Looks like there's no problem though, again well done.

Pete
Thanks Pete,

I tried to keep the weight as low as possible but being a slightly larger than 'Ultra Micro' at 16" WS even using 3mm Depron Aero it still added up. But as you say - it doesnt do too bad. I wouldnt class myself as anything but a novice flyer and it really is quite docile, even in my hands with no nasty stall and its really responsive to all control inputs. Slows nicely so you can see some of the detail as it goes by!

BTW - it's actually not made of solid foam. I've done something a bit different. I'll post this evening with the details.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
Profile planes need love too I am in love with this one. This is very nice work I give you two thumbs up on this one!

Bert
DynamicFoamy is offline Find More Posts by DynamicFoamy
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Customer Support Forum
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:20 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Producing the artwork

A great deal of research was done to kick the project off into the aircraft type, gathering reference material from books, magazines and the Internet.

Then setting to work with a combination of Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop to build the aircraft up. Its a bit like building an actual aircraft skin as each panel is drawn, textured and shaded in greyscale - so it actually looks like unpainted aluminium.

Then painting it in Photoshop - with more research on the actual aircraft & pilot illustrated to find out specific details such as the Major's flying jacket - not regulation Luftwaffe but a USAAF brown leather jacket modified with his rank epaulets which he considered his personal talisman.

The illustrations dictated the way the Depron Aero was cut so it was important to get the artwork done first.

I reckon all told the research and artwork took 200 - 250 hrs to complete.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, AL
Joined Feb 2012
345 Posts
I will buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought about the micro FW-190 a while back but i am only experienced enought to fly one and fix one not build haha
broncoboy36081 is offline Find More Posts by broncoboy36081
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2010
54 Posts
Simply gorgeous. Will you be selling any because I would definately buy a couple!
jake21 is offline Find More Posts by jake21
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:10 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
Simply gorgeous. Will you be selling any because I would definately buy a couple!
Thanks Jake21, I do hope to make it available as a kit soon but as with anything like this there is a bit of investment required to get it 'to market'. I reckon RC Groups is probably the best place on the WWW to find out the risk factor.

I'll be going through the build and how the kit comes together over the next few days/weeks on this thread. Your comments at this stage are seriously encouraging to say the least!