SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Discussion
Help needed on purchase of FPV TX/RX setup with my Spektrum DX8. Which MHZ to use

Hello,

I already have my 900mhz FPV system less the TX that was lost when my plane crashed a few years ago.

Getting back in to FPV with a Quad and looking for some assistance.

I read somewhere that they said do not use a video TX/RX lower than your radio frequency. Since I have a DX8 on 2.4 does that mean I shouldn't use 900mhz ?

And, what's the difference between 900, 1.2, 5.8.

I'm not looking for long range, I just want a clear picture so I think I'm ok with 500mw.

Can anyone suggest if I should just buy another 900mhz TX or buy a TX/RX on a different other than 900mhz
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
Hello,

I already have my 900mhz FPV system less the TX that was lost when my plane crashed a few years ago.

Getting back in to FPV with a Quad and looking for some assistance.

I read somewhere that they said do not use a video TX/RX lower than your radio frequency. Since I have a DX8 on 2.4 does that mean I shouldn't use 900mhz ?

And, what's the difference between 900, 1.2, 5.8.

I'm not looking for long range, I just want a clear picture so I think I'm ok with 500mw.

Can anyone suggest if I should just buy another 900mhz TX or buy a TX/RX on a different other than 900mhz
Jasper,

5.8G has come a long way lately. Get either a SkyRf based 200mW 5.8g set (available in many many places) or an ImmersionRc set with the 600mW tx. AND, most importantly, a pair of CP antennas as otherwise reflections will kill you. Other than this that should give you what you want and at this frequency, the antennas are really tiny. Note, the 200mW set is on par with the 600mW set in terms of range as the receiver senstitivty of the former is -90dB versus "only" -85 for the latter. My main point is that CP antennas have revolutionized the FPV experience. Especially in closer proximity and on the higher frequencies. You don't want a 900Mhz CP antenna (although it's doable) it's size would really form an obstacle. Not so with 5.8 though.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Thank you very much, I think I'll try 5.8
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Where is a good place to get the CP antennas.
Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Where is a good place to get the CP antennas.
Thanks
Alex ( IBCrazy) Hugo and I sell them. The former two run their own webshops, I only do them ocasionally upon request.

www.videoaerialsystems.com

www.trueRC.net/Canada

HTH

Markus
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Thanks,
Looking at those sites now.
I know nothing about antennas.

I guess this would be it, correct? $65 for both antennas.
http://www.truerc.net/canada/index.p...roducts_id=172

The other website is $80 for the both of them.

One question though, for FPV to start out at 5.8 will the standard antennas that a system comes with get me a few hundred feet away with no problem, and as I gather experience and want to go farther then get these antennas.

Just trying to get started with minimal investment possible

Also, is it ok to run a FPV system off the main battery. I was hoping I can use the main battery for the motors, radio receiver, and FPV camera and TX.
Last edited by jasper7821; Feb 14, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,
Looking at those sites now.
I know nothing about antennas.

I guess this would be it, correct? $65 for both antennas.

http://www.truerc.net/canada/index.p...roducts_id=172

The other website is $80 for the both of them.

One question though, for FPV to start out at 5.8 will the standard antennas that a system comes with get me a few hundred feet away with no problem, and as I gather experience and want to go farther then get these antennas.

Just trying to get started with minimal investment possible
Jasper,

Back when I started only linear antennas were available. I experienced a lot of interference, ESPECIALLY when flying nearby (but not limitted to). This was to a degree I almost abandoned using 5.8G any more. I invested in a diversity and patch antennas to no avail. Obviosely as linear antennas suffer from capturing reflections and reflections on a frequency as high as 5.8Ghz are everywhere. It's not by accident that radar systems operate in this frequency range and above.

CP antennas have two advantates. #1, they kill reflections, #2 they solve the problem with banking the plane and thus not having the antennas aligned to eachother.

You surely CAN fly with the linear antennas, but you won't experience the same amount of fun because of the constant interferances. So there is nothnig wrong with your aproach.

I can't speak for the windmill combo from TrueRc from personal experience but Hugos antennas are known to work well too. Main thing is they are circular polarized. But again, there is NOTHING wrong with starting out with the linear antennas as long as you don't give up on 5.8 before not having tried CP antennas.

Markus
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Thank you very much Markus,

I used do do a little FPV with my Easystar airplane a few years ago but then crashed it.

Now I'm getting back into it but with a different platform. I bought a inexpensive HPQ-1 quadrocopter and just wanted to put my 1080p HD Contour GPS helmet camera on it and a FPV system to play around with in a field or whatever.

When I gain experience flying these I would like a larger one to hold my Nikon SLR camera and longer range FPV equipment.
I wish I could find a complete system with these CP antennas and one that is plug and play with my KX191 FPV camera I purchased from Range Video a few years ago.

Also, were you able to verify if running everything on the main copters LIPO is ok to do ?

Thanks again for the assistance.
Last edited by jasper7821; Feb 14, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Also looked for the SkyRf based 200mW 5.8g set and only found this but they're sold out.
Anywhere else that sells them.

http://www.bevrc.com/bev-58g-200mw-p...-fpv-p-18.html

And on the ImmersionRC website I do not see any TX/RX, only goggles,and OSD stuff.
Last edited by jasper7821; Feb 14, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Also looked for the SkyRf based 200mW 5.8g set and only found this but they're sold out.
Anywhere else that sells them.

http://www.bevrc.com/bev-58g-200mw-p...-fpv-p-18.html

And on the ImmersionRC website I do not see any TX/RX, only goggles,and OSD stuff.
Look here:

http://www.himodel.com/electric/FPV_...ng_System.html

They also have an OSD I like which is good to get your feets wet (Cyclops easy OSD) and other stuff.

Markus
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Thank you very much Markus,

I used do do a little FPV with my Easystar airplane a few years ago but then crashed it.

Now I'm getting back into it but with a different platform. I bought a inexpensive HPQ-1 quadrocopter and just wanted to put my 1080p HD Contour GPS helmet camera on it and a FPV system to play around with in a field or whatever.

When I gain experience flying these I would like a larger one to hold my Nikon SLR camera and longer range FPV equipment.
I wish I could find a complete system with these CP antennas and one that is plug and play with my KX191 FPV camera I purchased from Range Video a few years ago.

Also, were you able to verify if running everything on the main copters LIPO is ok to do ?

Thanks again for the assistance.
I always run everything off one LIPO, it's a matter of taste, but I do it this way. Less components to care for IMHO.

I can sell you a pair of CP antennas that match this tx/rx set if you like. Those from Hugo and Alex IMHO require an adapter for the SMA-RP connctors of the setup. Not sure on this one though. If they sell SMA-RP you are fine.

Markus
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I wouldn't mind but it seems shipping would be rather expensive to the states.
I'm having trouble finding the TX/RX set you suggested SkyRf based 200mW 5.8g set

I found this but don't know if it's the right one, and it's only the TX
http://fpvhobby.com/31-8ghz-500mw-a-v-transmitter.html
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Mar 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
I'm having trouble finding the TX/RX set you suggested SkyRf based 200mW 5.8g set

That looks exactly like a Foxtech 200mW transmitter which ReadymadeRC just discontinued due to performance inconsistencies. I haven't had any issues with it yet. I believe this is the SkyRF ppl are referring to.
AeroWRX is offline Find More Posts by AeroWRX
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,853 Posts
Quote:

Not sure to what you refer to with the shipping charges. Hi-Model is not expensive (did you checked the link?) and yes, foxtech is the same with a foxtech sticker on it...

SkyRf is ok by itself. It seems like some parts have some quality checking issues according to ReadymadeRC. Since I'm makeing my own tx and rx that never affected me. Especially the power connector seems flakey and thus I recommend people to solder the wires in directly.

If you refer to shipping from me to your place for the antennas, the bill would look like this: $40 for the pair of antennas, $18 for registered shipping, alas a total of $58.

HTH

Markus
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Thank you so much for the help Markus,

I ordered it and the cheap pan/tilt FPV camera mount for $4

I think I found an antenna and if it doesn't work I will gladly purchase one from you.

Thanks again.

Also might get the OSD you suggested, the Cyclops easy OSD. it's runs inline with the battery and ESC. Since I'll have 4 ESC's, does it just hook up to any one of them?
Last edited by jasper7821; Feb 15, 2012 at 03:43 PM.