HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined May 2009
595 Posts
Build Log
Trenton Terror from a short kit

In the last six months or so I've become enamored with old timers. They have never held any romance for me before, what's happening to me?! Almost all of them, but especially the cabin models, seem to be all I can think about anymore. This one is a Trenton Terror that I came by here on RCG from Ian Easton. I'm not sure if I'm working from the original DeAngelis plans or not, but they are drawn for free flight. So, alterations have to be made for 3 channel operation. My plan is to power this thing with either an O.S. 40 four stroke or an old Saito 45. One thing that has never changed for me is a love of four strokes. What else in the world sounds like one?

I'm getting a bit older every day and the eyes and reflexes aren't what they used to be. This seems like the kind of model that won't tax either...I hope.

Since the build is far more interesting to me than the actual flying, I think I'll just indulge myself and get going. I'm sure my Astro Hog (that is VERY near completion) won't mind the delay. Man, I love gluing sticks together! I'm still undecided about covering, but am leaning toward doculam overlaid with tissue. I've read encouraging things from Sundancer and others about it. Even though it sounds like a comparatively lengthy process, it's tough and light.

I got started yesterday and took a few pictures. I've never built the second fuse side over the first before, but with snow on the ground today, I'm feeling adventurous!

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Last edited by cd_webb; Feb 13, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_webb View Post
In the last six months or so I've become enamored with old timers. They have never held any romance for me before, what's happening to me?! Almost all of them, but especially the cabin models, seem to be all I can think about anymore.

David
Don't worry David, it's just an acute attack of "vintagemodelitis", with cross complications of "Balsa Stick Syndrome" and "Cabin Fever", it isn't painful or life threatening, just fun! Once contracted there is no cure and the only know palliative treatment is to build lots and lots of vintage models, so you have made a good start!

Watching with interest.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Jan 2005
715 Posts
David, As I got older and the eyes and reflexes are not what they used to be I am into old timers. 4 stroke sound is the best in my opinion. That covering method is favored by some folks. A couple mods I would make to the Trenton Terror. More down thrust would make for a better flying model with R/C 3 channel. Also, move the wheels to the leading edge of the wing instead of the further foreward location on the plans. If you plan on flying the model in SAM competetion you have to leave the landing gear per plans. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,134 Posts
Quote:
In the last six months or so I've become enamored with old timers.
Welcome to the 'old timer' club David. I'm gald to hear you plan to use real engines rather than go electric

You'll find a wealth of information and some very helpful people in this Vintage forum.
DeeBee1 is online now Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
David, the TT is a wonderful airplane. I built mine from Model Builder plans back in 1996 and still have it. I've run a variety of engines in it, including an Enya .15, Supertigre 2.5cc diesel, and finally a '70s-vintage (non-Schneurle) OS .20 RC. Covered in Polyspan, my TT weighs around 40 ounces and a three-minute engine run will take it almost out of sight. The nose moment is deceptively long, and there's a lot of mass up there with all that plywood and the forward landing gear, so plan on having your radio gear at the rear of the cabin to maintain a reasonable CG with that four-cycle up front. You won't be hurting for power either.

I caught the old-timer bug as a teen in the 1970s. There's just something about seeing the sun shine through an open structure that grabbed me early in life and never let go. There's also something uniquely satisfying about cutting a gluing all those sticks together. Your build looks like it's coming along nicely.

-Mark

-Mark
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
772 Posts
Welcome to the club David !

Please keep us updated with the TT build...this one is on my "to do" list as well, so I'll be following with keen interest.

Have fun

Chris
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
Great stuff david. Glasd to see the kit getting used and really pleased to know I can follow the progress here.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:51 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
What beautiful joints you make, David! I wish mine looked like that. If you're interested, Im attempting to build a Tomboy, which was a plan that came out in 1950.

I was mildly interested in the vintage planes when i joined RCG nearly a year ago. However, as I learned more and more about the sport the more and more I respected guys that build from a piece of paper or kit rather than gluing premade parts together, buying an RTF or worse yet, an RTF foamie (I am pretty much guilty of all of those, I have 3 rtf foam planes that I learned to fly on and a .40 sized trainer which I purchased nearly complete that Im about to learn to fly). With that, the more and more I got into the vintage stuff. One of the best things is that some of my favorite planes (P-39, Caudron racers) are old and there are free plans for some of them here! Im new to the sport and to building but hopefully one day I will be the guy giving advice on the forum somewhere. Im having a blast with the guys on this forum and learning to build a plane from scratch and I hope you do to!
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined May 2009
595 Posts
Hey guys! Glad all of you are here. Hope this project can hold your interest. I could, in all truthfulness, be called a slow builder, and hopefully boredom won't overtake you.

Really glad to see previous TT builders looking in too. Any and all lessons learned from your builds are absolutely welcome. From the moment I first saw the plans for this one I was concerned about the apparently short nose and what that might mean for the CG.

Ian, I'm not upset with you yet, things are going pretty well right now. When it gets to the point that I begin to loose sleep trying to figure some problem out, that's when I'll remember where I got this thing from!

Madbomber, part of the reason I figure I'm a pretty slow builder are those joints. I've been building for more years than I care to remember, and I've glued up some pretty disgusting joints. I finally broke down and bought a miter sander from Fourmost (bought from Tower). I can tell you, it's worth the 25.00 spent. I spend extra time on each joint, creeping up on a perfect (or near perfect) fit, sometimes 10 minutes or even more. The end result is, in my opinion, worth it.
I'm posting a picture of it for you.

I've been following your build too, and even downloaded the plan you're using. It's gonna be a great little plane, and you're doing it justice. I sense a lot of enthusiasm on your part and I'll bet you're gonna do great!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,134 Posts
The Fourmost mitre sander - my favourite tool - highly recommended
DeeBee1 is online now Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:21 AM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
I finally broke down and bought a miter sander from Fourmost (bought from Tower). I can tell you, it's worth the 25.00 spent. I spend extra time on each joint, creeping up on a perfect (or near perfect) fit, sometimes 10 minutes or even more. The end result is, in my opinion, worth it.
I'm posting a picture of it for you.
Thats a neat little tool. I may have to pick one up soon. I was at my local Harbor Freight store the other day and I saw they had this little bugger on sale. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...saw-93211.html Been thinking about picking one of them up. I would also like to get the drill press jig for my dremel. http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-220-01-.../dp/B00068P48O

I'll be staying tuned to your build!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined May 2009
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbomber View Post
Thats a neat little tool. I may have to pick one up soon. I was at my local Harbor Freight store the other day and I saw they had this little bugger on sale. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...saw-93211.html Been thinking about picking one of them up. I would also like to get the drill press jig for my dremel. http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-220-01-.../dp/B00068P48O
MB, I have thought about the dremel attachment too, and still think I'm gonna get one one day. As far as the saw, I came really close to buying the very one your talking about, and then I read the reviews. If I can't cut 1/16th basswood, then I'll just keep looking.

If you're in it for the long haul, experience has taught me to make do with what you've got until you can drop the cash for a good tool. Most of the time you get what you pay for (or sometimes a little less!).

David
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:34 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
MB, I have thought about the dremel attachment too, and still think I'm gonna get one one day. As far as the saw, I came really close to buying the very one your talking about, and then I read the reviews. If I can't cut 1/16th basswood, then I'll just keep looking.

If you're in it for the long haul, experience has taught me to make do with what you've got until you can drop the cash for a good tool. Most of the time you get what you pay for (or sometimes a little less!).

David
I hear that! I have had several harbor freight electric tools and, for the most part, have been disappointed. I don't mind their hand tools though. I have a blender motor that I have been saving. I figure it would make a good saw, lots of torque for blending up smoothies and ice and stuff....im not sure if I have the ambition to make it into a table saw...even though I work at a machine shop and it would probably be fairly easy on a manual mill.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
Just got a chance to look at your photos more closely, David, and it looks like you've eliminated much of the 1/4" ply that was shown in the original TT plan. I did not do this and, as I mentioned earlier, ended up with a nose-heavy airplane. I also agree with Jack regarding the thrust angle. Mine has a pretty leisurely climb angle with the .20, but if I were to install anything larger some more downthrust would not be a bad thing. As presently trimmed, with the stock thrust angle and the CG at 33%, my TT will fly out of my hand with the transmitter sitting on the ground.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined May 2009
595 Posts
O.K., so now I'm starting hear some faint alarm bells beginning to go off. I'm wondering if I've totally lost it or if maybe I've got some weird plan no one's ever seen before. The only 1/4" ply that goes in the nose area is the engine mounting plate as far as I can see. The rest shows to be open structure, except for some balsa fill...or am I missing it totally? The plan shows the mount plate built in at 2 degrees down thrust. Do you think more than that? The plan also shows about 1 degree of right thrust to be built in, yes? no?

I do have an O.S. 30 I can load into this thing. Nothing is engraved in stone until I cut the mount plate to fit.

One other thing I planed to do was line the engine compartment in 1/8" ply, mostly to try and contain any burnt castor that might mess things up, but the extra weight might be needed. I'm now setting my servos up in the last cabin bay.

If there's ply that should be there that I'm not seeing...I think I'll go back over the plan notes again!

Oooooh, OK! I see what you're talking about now. The lower cheek panels were originally 1/4" plywood, but the short kit makers substituted 1/4" balsa for the ply. Maybe that won't foobosh things too bad. I'll just have to beef up the LG mount somehow.

David
Thanks Moeregaard for watching my back!
Last edited by cd_webb; Feb 15, 2012 at 06:31 PM.