HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:19 AM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,239 Posts
Quote:
I am planning on painting it as A8-132 in the ARDU colours.
I always liked the ARDU scheme, I was going to do it too, but can't remember why I didn't

Quote:
I was going to ask you Glenn, how did you tackle the tailplanes? Did you stick to the plans or did you use a different method? I was going to use carbon fibre tube to join them and some brass tube through the balsa sides and foam engine nacelles as a bearing.
I used a square brass tube the same thickness as each tailplane half at the scale hinge location. In the fuselage was a smaller square brass tube, full width of the fuselage plus about 3" extending out that the tailplanes slid onto. The fuselage tube used round brass tube as bearings. I made a central single drive horn from ply.

Quote:
Would you consider building another one, or do you want the old one back for sentimental reasons?
Both. If I got the old girl back I would give it to a mate that I promised to sell it to if I ever disposed of her I forgot all about the promise and have felt bad ever since. I have contemplated building another 2 (!) - one for said mate and another for myself. I would go for Phil's original size though, the big one took a fair bit of room in the car.
salisbug is online now Find More Posts by salisbug
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:27 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,239 Posts
I'm also waiting impatiently for Xtreme hobbies to release their pig:

They say it's close....
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:03 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,121 Posts
You and me both - I ordered and paid for mine way on back last year some time.

They were hoping to have them ready for Chrissy, but still nothing...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:19 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,121 Posts
...and all this talk of F-111's lately... I've re-visited a few old threads, and the Dan Savage one as well... it's really go me wanting to build again now.

I still have that 2.2m fuze plug that I was so disappointed in a while back - not being what I wanted (and paid for) and being a fair bit out of scale. But just about all the pics I've seen of RC Pigs are based on or around this plug - apart from Franz Walti's and Mike Selby's (which was supposed to have been kitted and gone into production over a year ago now, but nada).

There was even a Turbine version for sale in the US for $3,500 (no motor) a while back - and it's for sure from my plug too.

Soooo... do I get back on the horse and finish what I've got? The plug was sawn into pieces which I more or less got back together fairly straight. Still needs some bogging/sanding around the joins to get it nice and flat. Maybe Shane could help me get it to a stage ready to take some moulds off, then make the moulds? And even better, teach me how to cast a few fuzes

I also have the rear stab and tailfin moulds ready to go. All I'd have to make from scratch would be the wings themselves. The long ones, I reckon.

Or do I go back to square one and have a second go at scatch-building a new scale plug (and the stabs, tail, wings etc.)?

I guess I'm still waiting for the Xtreme hobby one to arrive so that I can make up my mind if I still want to make a BIG one.

Ahhh... decisions decisions...

BJ
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,121 Posts
The plug, as it is at the moment...

BJ
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:46 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,231 Posts
BJ, you really need to give it to (convince) Shane or the like to fix and take a mold from it. Surely it's not THAT bad to use? I'd buy a fuse and some cores for sure, and I bet I aint the only one. Not sure where I'd fly it, but who cares, it will fit perfectly in the pool room .....if I ever get a pool room that is

Glen, as usual, your scale detailing is simply amazing, but your razor work sucked back then! Salisbug....the bogan era

Jindivik: Great work so far, looking forward to watching the build
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch View Post
BJ, you really need to give it to (convince) Shane or the like to fix and take a mold from it...
You're probably right there, Gouch.

And it's not that 'bad' per se - just the belly isn't like the real deal scale-wise. In fact, it's nothing like it.

But then again, you won't mistake it for what it's meant to be once it's in the air.

Gonna need a bloody decent pool-room to hang one from the ceiling off but

BJ

PS - I'm lookin at that Vector of Mick's with big eyes at the moment...
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:05 AM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
699 Posts
Does any one know the cost of the F-111 through Xtreme Hobbies?

Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just some of the hanger.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:37 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch View Post
Glen, as usual, your scale detailing is simply amazing, but your razor work sucked back then! Salisbug....the bogan era
I was actually abiding by a Serbian tradition, not to shave or cut your hair for 12 months after your wife passes away.

I tried the bearded look again after Camperdown this year until my gorgeous work mate said I looked like a dirty hobo. Shaved it off the next day.

Glenn
who has been called worse...
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesmadhouse View Post
Does any one know the cost of the F-111 through Xtreme Hobbies?

Shane
Mid $500's - delivered (in Oz).

They were meant to be out before Chrissie, but nada so far.

Original plan was for scale landing gear, but apparently it all worked out too heavy, so they opted for a 'modular' non-scale rear gear for the interim.

Modular meaning that when they fnally sort out a workable lighter version of scale rears, it's supposed to be able to be swapped out from the temporary ones.

Last I heard a couple of months ago was that they were evaluating ESC/Fan combinations.

Fingers crossed that something hits the market soon...

BJ
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:20 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Mid $500's - delivered (in Oz).

They were meant to be out before Chrissie, but nada so far.

Original plan was for scale landing gear, but apparently it all worked out too heavy, so they opted for a 'modular' non-scale rear gear for the interim.

Modular meaning that when they fnally sort out a workable lighter version of scale rears, it's supposed to be able to be swapped out from the temporary ones.

Last I heard a couple of months ago was that they were evaluating ESC/Fan combinations.

Fingers crossed that something hits the market soon...

BJ
Is there a page or anything with more details anywhere BJ?
Jindivik is offline Find More Posts by Jindivik
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindivik View Post
Is there a page or anything with more details anywhere BJ?
Nup.

They had something up on their site when they announced that an F-111 was in the pipeline - the rest is from phonecalls to them.'

Which reminds me - might be time for another update...

BJ
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:03 AM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Nup.

They had something up on their site when they announced that an F-111 was in the pipeline - the rest is from phonecalls to them.'

Which reminds me - might be time for another update...

BJ
Yeah, been meaning to do something, but spent the last 3 days of last week up at Wodonga doing a job at the Latchford Barracks. If anyone is going to the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide or the F1 GP in Melbourne, keep an eye out for the Team Army car transporter, took two and a half days to do the graphics but worth every minute.

Will post an update once I have some time to get some more down.

Chris
Jindivik is offline Find More Posts by Jindivik
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:16 AM
Pointy end at the front.
Joined Aug 2009
663 Posts
They probably cant make it fly right
benjo is offline Find More Posts by benjo
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,121 Posts
Good build day today Jindi.

How you gettin on with the F-111 sloapie?

BJ