HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2003, 02:43 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,040 Posts
Mini-Telemaster maiden flight

I flew it this morning! What a nice little plane. There was zero wind for the first flight. I tried a 7 cell, 500 mah pack first. The model lifted off the hard surface runway in about 10 feet,Ö just as smooth as you can imagine. No trim changes were required at all. It just flew! It quickly got to pattern altitude, very smooth, very relaxed. It looped well from level. I couldnít do a spin, it just spiraled. If I move the cg aft Iím sure it will. Snap rolls were extremely bad, but I think thatís because Iíve got lots of rudder and not much elev. throw. But it handled just as smooth and nice as you could imagine. A high speed pass produced no flutter ( I was expecting some from that thin, large stabilizer). I flew around at half throttle easily. I entered the traffic pattern down wind, at very reduced throttle and it just puttered along beautifully. I lined up for final approach and could not ask for a better glide slope attitude,Ö right down to the ground, flair, perfect landing about a 3 foot roll out.

I put a 8 cell 500 mah pack in and it ws noticably more powerful. A breeze had kicked up, but nothing serious,Ö. Less than 5 mph probably. I wouldnít want more power than the 8 cell, on a stock 400 setup w/ 3:1 gearbox, 9 x 6 apc slow flyer prop), actually with no wind, the 7 cell was just fine for flying around ( even loops). I tried inverted flight with the 7 and 8 cell pack. The 7 cell flew inverted very very easily. The 8 cell pack I was putting in too much elev., but got the hang of it shortly. Iím still learning good inverted technique, so itís me, not the airplane.

There is no reason to put flaps ( or flaperons) on this airplane. You couldnít make it land any easier with flaps. My last touchdown rollout was 2 feet. Ailerons?, yeah, I guess, it'd roll nicely with the 8 cell pack escpecially, but it turned and flew so well that the onlt reason for ailerons would be to roll it.
occasionally.

I didn't have anyone take inflight photos, sorry about that.

Fred G.
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2003, 03:18 PM
Joined May 2003
4,040 Posts
It flew so well, now I want to build a Telemaster 40 and convert it to electric.

Fred G.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2003, 03:21 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Congrats Fred! Great looking bird.

You've gotta love that Futaba 9C too, best R/C investment I've ever made
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 13, 2003, 04:58 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Glad to hear it, Fred. I'm looking for a testbed to fly a bunch of motors for an upcoming magazine project and have been thinking of this one....I think you've convinced me.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 13, 2003, 05:05 PM
Joined May 2003
4,040 Posts
I've never had a big Telemaster, but saw one fly at PSSF fun fly in Lacey,.... flew just like it,.. majestic,... yeah, that's the word that describes it well. It's a smaller version of majestic-ness.

Tres - 9C... yes, very nice. I couldn't program my 8103, glad I switched, much easier.

Fred G.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2003, 05:11 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,404 Posts
Great Project!

Fred:

I really enjoyed following your project. Great job on the thread and great job on the aiplane. It flew just like I thought it would...perfect!

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Oct 13, 2003, 06:00 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,320 Posts
Thanks for the flight report Fred. Mine will be next up on the building board thanks to you. I'm thinking about building the fuse with slab sides for extra strength though. Remember mine will be built as a twin so the slight extra weight won't be an issue. Strength will be my main concern.
I've already started making nacells for the Astro 801P's from the Stevens Aero laser mounts. I think they're gonna look pretty cool!

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 13, 2003, 07:00 PM
Joined May 2003
4,040 Posts
Joe - I can't wait to see it, keep us posted. You are going to do ailerons aren't you? I have to admit to wanting to do some rolls with mine, especially when I had that 8 cell in it. Building a second wing would be no problem,..... oops my "bashing"is showing.

Btw, take-offs where really, really easy. And they were really, really easy to keep straight. Be sure to put a steerable tail wheel on it.

Fred G.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2003, 10:40 PM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
603 Posts
Great news Fred! I only expected the best but ya never know until that maiden is over.
I had been wanting to ask you about your power set up but decided to wait until you had flown it. I'm pleased that you posted the motor, gear, and cells you were flying with.
Mine won't be any hard choice as I don't want flaps, ailerons, or anything that adds weight of complexity. If it rudder turns OK then it will be fine with me. I want a picnic table cruiser.
I fly from pretty heavy grass so the tailwheel can probabaly go as well. I will hand launch nearly all the time.
I'd like to find some light aluminum gear instead of the wire if I can...It would match my E-40 version better. If not I may make up leggins from balsa and paint them silver to resemble the wide aluminum gear...all just idea at this point.
Your thread has been most useful.

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:02 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL
I'd like to find some light aluminum gear instead of the wire if I can...It would match my E-40 version better. If not I may make up leggins from balsa and paint them silver to resemble the wide aluminum gear...all just idea at this point.
Your thread has been most useful.

Randy
Light ALU. main gear can be found at your local hobby store .... I bought one main gear of all ALU. and plan to drill lighting holes along the material since this is "not" heat treated and it only cost $7.00US.

They should have heat treated as well but those start at $12.00 and up but, these can NOT be drilled into since it will weaken the material.

Carlos.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:07 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blaze
Joe - I can't wait to see it, keep us posted. You are going to do ailerons aren't you? I have to admit to wanting to do some rolls with mine, especially when I had that 8 cell in it. Building a second wing would be no problem,..... oops my "bashing"is showing.

Btw, take-offs where really, really easy. And they were really, really easy to keep straight. Be sure to put a steerable tail wheel on it.

Fred G.
Fred,

Don't hold you're breath. This one will take a while. I do plan to add ailerons and probably flaps if only for the "wow" factor. It will definitely be a twin though. I bought another Astro 801P especially for this project. I already have one nacelle done. I'll probably make more mods to it to make it blend into the wing. I won't do any more until I have the wing built.
I may start on the fuse first as that's where a lot of work will be done. I have trouble with stick building because my hands are pretty beat up and I just can't work with the little stuff. The stick portion of the fuse is history. It will have to be slab balsa. I'll just cut lightening holes in it. I'm also toying with the idea of making it trike gear too. I've got a lot of ideas for this thing. I just hope they work out.

Joe
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:21 PM
Silver Lake, Ks USA
Joined Dec 2000
603 Posts
Thanks Carlos, I will look around a bit soon as the kit gets here. I've heard of TNT company but have never purchased from them. Maybe I will look them up on the net and see what they have if I find nothing local..

Randy
RandyL is offline Find More Posts by RandyL
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:23 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turbojoe
Fred,

Don't hold you're breath. This one will take a while. I do plan to add ailerons and probably flaps if only for the "wow" factor. It will definitely be a twin though. I bought another Astro 801P especially for this project. I already have one nacelle done. I'll probably make more mods to it to make it blend into the wing. I won't do any more until I have the wing built.
I may start on the fuse first as that's where a lot of work will be done. I have trouble with stick building because my hands are pretty beat up and I just can't work with the little stuff. The stick portion of the fuse is history. It will have to be slab balsa. I'll just cut lightening holes in it. I'm also toying with the idea of making it trike gear too. I've got a lot of ideas for this thing. I just hope they work out.

Joe
Joe,

What happen to your hands, if I can ask? There's several tools you can buy at HOME DEPOT that are helping hands to those little items secure while glue is being cured. That's one tool I am getting very soon!

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:34 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by guapoman2000
Joe,

What happen to your hands, if I can ask? There's several tools you can buy at HOME DEPOT that are helping hands to those little items secure while glue is being cured. That's one tool I am getting very soon!

Carlos
22 years of working on cars, two carpal tunnel surgeries on the left wrist, one ulnar release on the left elbow and a fused thumb on the left hand. Still have carpal tunnel problems with the right wrist but I'll be damned if I'll let another butcher cut me open again!

Joe
Old Oct 14, 2003, 03:19 PM
Joined May 2003
4,040 Posts
I've found one area I'd do differently. There is a "pucker factor" in the covering, on the fuselage just aft of the T.E. Now this may be because I'm using #64 rubberbands still, and the way I wrapped the rubber around,.. L.E. to T.E.,.... may have forced the wing aft more than nececessary. But it were me, building it again, I'd bring the two 1/8 x 1/4 pieces of balsa together rather than have them separated by 1/2".

I need to add a ply T.E. protector to the wing also.

Fred G.
RCG Plus Member