HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
A great day is good lift!
United States, TN, Hendersonville
Joined Jul 2006
78 Posts
Help!
Toggle switch -heavy duty replacement

I was watching an F3J video from Les Stockley from NZ and he showed that he replaces his slider radio switches out for heavy duty toggle switches. Claims cycles move from 5000 to 50000 by moving to a high quality toggle.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...-switches.aspx

My question is do any F3J guys use these and do you use a three pole or two pole and not hook up a charge lead through the switch as traditional.

RCSoaring.co.nz - How-To Series - 2. 'Servo Installations' (6 min 34 sec)

Any advice would be appreciated, I know the slide switches are not good but what are some of your experiences.

Thanks
d_maroney is offline Find More Posts by d_maroney
Last edited by d_maroney; Feb 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Wrong numbers
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,547 Posts
I use plugs, like the Deans two pin connector myself. They are simple, change them out yearly, and are small.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
Some restrictions apply
USA, AZ, Tempe
Joined Feb 2003
639 Posts
I put one of these in my Sprite 2M: http://www.frys.com/product/2860284

In the off position I wired the charging jack; the on position goes to the RX. Feels very solid and easier to use than a slider.
emersunn is offline Find More Posts by emersunn
Last edited by emersunn; Feb 12, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Updated link
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,848 Posts
Here's somebody elsr that uses a toggle http://kevin-newton.blogspot.com/2001/01/switches.html
Seems like a good idea.
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:23 AM
Tailspin
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
436 Posts
Slide switches themselves are not bad, any switch that has contacts that "wipe" during opening and closing are really good, it keeps the crud off. Some toggles do not, some do a little.

The most important thing in a switch (other than the mechanicals) is the material of the contacts. This alone will make a switch a good one or a bad one.

So how do you know which is better, I really do not know other than the spec sheets and the price. Generally you get what you pay for.

Jack
jiafret is offline Find More Posts by jiafret
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:26 AM
Tailspin
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
436 Posts
Oh BTW, same goes for relays. I used to do electrical in the auto industry and it was a constant fight with the budget to keep high quality switch gear and relays in the car. Relcalls are really expensive in that industry so we used high reliable stuff.

Jack
jiafret is offline Find More Posts by jiafret
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:29 AM
Joined Jul 2006
78 Posts
Thanks for the help. Looks like three pole is the way to go if you want to use a charging jack off the switch. I did notice on the blog he used epoxy to cover the solider joints. I have heard this breaks down over time and could cause issues. I looks the pole switches as they seem a strong on/off position vs a slider.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:03 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
875 Posts
Gosh, made that vid ages ago for a sponsor. I still use them, still make them myself, have thrown one away recently due to being suspect, when they cost only a few $ to make its not worth it unless you are 100% sure of them.

The one linked a few posts up looks good, you'll note its rated to 60000 cycles. Personally I just use SPDT though, dont worry about double pole. I was in the air force until recently so had access to electrical potting epoxy and silicon compounds etc, now I just use heatshrink.

Wiring them is easy, use a female rx and 2 male rx leads. Positive of the female goes on the middle terminal, positive of a male lead goes on each of the outer terminals. All 3 negative leads get wired and soldered together. So one side of the switch will put power to the rx, and the other side when switched off will provide charging access via the other servo lead. If its not clear I can post a pic/circuit diagram for you.

Regards, Les.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:23 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,863 Posts
Well here is something new and interesting I ran accross at Planet Soaring

Magnetic switch

http://zepsus.com/magnetic-switch/
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Jul 2006
78 Posts
Thanks Les, your discription is good enough!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:39 AM
Toowoomba, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Hmmmm,,,, 5,000 cycles vs 50,000 cycles ??

Maybe if I sat at home flicking the on/off switch every night for a couple of hours while watching the telly then this might be important. Changing a switch harness (along with the rest of the wiring) every couple of years is cheap insurance against broken wires and corroded plugs as well as possible switch failure.

I suppose the other main issue is the voltage drop across the switch, but without testing the two switches back-to-back it would be impossible to comment.
bjr_93tz is offline Find More Posts by bjr_93tz