HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:38 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane Airport
Joined Oct 2006
99 Posts
Discussion
Spitfire - Who Makes It

Anyone know what brand this Spitfire (60 size) is and what it flys like.

Ive been told its a Superandcheaper model (wholesaler in Australia), but if so, it will be a rebadged model manufactered by someone else.

I was also told it was a pig to fly and wanted to wingdrop stall on landing (by someone who is proficient at flying warbirds)

So anyone knows who makes it and is it worth getting it to flying condition.

Cheers
PlaneHeli is offline Find More Posts by PlaneHeli
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,467 Posts
Looks like a copy of the World Models Spitfire. Same cowl arrangement, funky looking attempt at a Mk.XVI canopy, tail surfaces, etc.

Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
99 Posts
Thanks Chad,

I had a look online at the WM Spitfire manual.
Yes, it looks very similar to the World Models Spitfire, but with some differences.

I have a World Models P47 with a 20cc petrol and its a very nice flying plane.
If this Spitfire is a copy of a WM plane, youd think it would fly well.

The plane looks old, but no sign of a previous crash, so maybe its not a bad flyer.

Heres some more photos of it in case anyone can recognise who makes it.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:29 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,958 Posts
I'm with Chad and I have the WM Spit hanging on my ceiling. Looks an awful lot like it in the key proportions, control surface arrangement, firewall etc. Where it differs is in the rear fuse are, and placement of the LG. The WM spit is said to fly nice, as you heard, which is why I forgave the horrendous nonscale appearance. Of course, yours could look similar and fly totally different.

The key of course is to build it as light as possible. Re: tip stalls...I had good luck on a 32oz win loaded CMP .50 size Mustang with using aileron reflex on landing with lots of flap. As long as I kept some power, it would come in nice, stable, and surprisingly slow for such a lead sled of an aircraft, settling into a wheel landing. You could improve the coeff of lift of those flaps by 33% to .8 CL by skinning the wing above them to create split flaps.

What I don't like about your wing is the wrinkles in the covering around the mounting holes. If it were mine, I'd remove the covering in the area and see what's happening underneath. I'd probably glas and expoxy there for reinforcement or at least harden with CA. I'd also run a 2in strip of 1oz glass over the wing joining seam to ensure a strong bond.

Good luck.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Last edited by TTRotary; Feb 14, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Oct 2006
99 Posts
TTRotary,

Thanks,
Strange no one out there has the same model. Still undecided whether to put the time and money into getting it flying.

Ive taken the covering off around the bolt holes, all looks secure.

What do you mean by 'Mustang with using aileron reflex on landing with lots of flap.' , did you mix both ailerons to move up slightly when flaps were down.

Modifying the flaps to 'Split flaps' sounds a good idea. My P47 has split flaps and is very stable. 'You could improve the coeff of lift of those flaps by 33% to .8 CL by skinning the wing above them to create split flaps.' Do you mean the CL of the flaps or the CL of the wing. Do you have a reference.

Cheers
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Oct 2006
99 Posts
Heres the specs on the Spit.

Wingspan 1610mm - 63.5"
Wing chord at centre 355mm - 14.0"
Fuse, Front cowl to end of rudder 1270mm - 50.0"
Fuse, Firewall to end of rudder 1150mm 45.5"
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:11 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,958 Posts
Correct, the ailerons move upward when flaps are lowered.

Flaps increase the CL of the wing area which they cover. Standard flaps increase CL by 60%, split flaps by 80%, and slotted flaps (the ones on a jetliner) by 100%. Example: youbhave slotted flaps which span 50% of the wing. They will double the CL of 50% of the wing and the other 50% will be the wing's base CL. Assuming the base CL is 1.0, the slotted flap will increase total wing CL to 1.5. Now, if your wing loading was 30oz, extension of the flaps will decrease that to 20oz, which will produce a stall speed of 18mph versus 27mph at 30oz.

I got all this info from a book by Andy Lennon.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Oct 2006
99 Posts
Good info thanks TTRotary.

Still surprised no one has this model.

Anyone?