HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 09, 2001, 01:12 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,066 Posts
Andy,

Cleaner is better. Keep up the good work!
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2001, 01:29 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,960 Posts
Hi Andy,

This style of discussion board has a few built-in disadvantages, the biggest (in my opinion) being that the reply function is a little awkward.

But the HUGE advantage of this format is that the multiple forums help readers to access the material that's of interest to them without wading through hundreds of other messages.

Point is, I'm sure people sometimes lose track of a thread when it gets moved from "general discussion" to a specific interest forum, but if they're all that interested in the topic, they should be reading that forum anyway.

You can't make a soufflé without cracking a few eggs, and I for one appreciate your efforts to keep threads sorted into the appropriate forums.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Jul 09, 2001, 02:50 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leccyflyer:
As one from these isles you'll be familiar with the oft-quoted statement that the best referee is the one that you don't even notice during the game- that for me just about sums up your handling of the moderator's role
Did I miss something, have things been moving without me noticing? Perhaps I've not been around for a while, or perhaps everything is just fine the way it is. Thank you to everyone concerned for a free service - without adds that take over the whole show.

Best Regards, John

John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Jul 09, 2001, 08:05 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Andy,
You do a fantastic job. If it's gotta be moved, it's gotta be moved. I appreciate the way you moderate this forum and the time you put into doing the moderation job. Please keep up the great work!!!
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jul 09, 2001, 09:27 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
I second what Jim Ryan said. If someone is interested in Slow Flight they will be there anyway so I don't see a problem with it. I also Thank You for your help with these forums and advice you have given me in the past. Keep up the good work.
Mike C
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Jul 09, 2001, 09:38 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Jul 2001
14 Posts
My experiences with much more active boards (ever heard of planetarion? Online massive multiplayer game with 180,000 players?) lead me to believe that this board is very well handled with no spam or just angry, trolling posters. The PA General discussion board threads run the average intellegence level of bathroon stall graffiti. Ya'll are doing a fine job.

Clearing closed threads is the way to do it. If something gets posted to the wrong forum, it's likely not to get the right kind of replys anyway, so if it gets deleted by accident it is not a huge loss.

[This message has been edited by Overhaul (edited 07-09-2001).]
Overhaul is offline Find More Posts by Overhaul
Old Jul 09, 2001, 09:57 PM
Wilmington Oh 45177
Joined Nov 1999
885 Posts
I don't think you should worry about it Andy
You do a nice job.
Regards,
Shelby

[This message has been edited by shelby (edited 07-09-2001).]
shelby is offline Find More Posts by shelby
Old Jul 09, 2001, 10:04 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Everything looks fine to me. I've been on quite a few boards over the years and this is one of the very best I've participated in.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Jul 09, 2001, 10:48 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
I don't have as many posts to deal with in general so most of the time I say where I moved a post. However, with the number of posts that you have to wade through, I understand why you don't. It would be nice if UBB would put that on a thread when you close and move it. It could be done with a slight mod, but mods can cause more problems than they fix.

Anyway, I think that you do a great job and handle your forums just fine.
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Jul 09, 2001, 11:05 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Andy -

Keep doing it the way you have.

And ** THANKS ** for all you do, and how you do it.

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Jul 09, 2001, 11:17 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Andy you get a double thumbs up from this guy.keep the great work.
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jul 09, 2001, 11:47 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,418 Posts
Most of us know when a thread is off-topic and know where to find it if it disappears. Considering the gratefully limited number of topics here on Ezone, they aren't hard to find when they get moved.
Besides, I KNOW when a thread is about to head my way and so should the rest of you.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 10, 2001, 12:09 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
A question for Open Discussion Forum readers

When topics are posted in this forum and would be better suited to another, I often simply move them over to the other forum. Unlike other moderators, I do not leave a closed copy of the topics in Open Discussion. My reason for doing this is that the Open Discussion is incredibly busy, and it takes me a while to wade thru the varied topics posted here (and if it takes me a while, I wonder how long it takes less-frequent visitors)! For example, if a reader wishes to avoid Slow Fly information, I am serving that reader by moving Slow Fly-related topics to that forum.

An issue recently arose where a topic I moved was no longer accessible in the other forum (I've seen this from time to time) and the original poster was frustrated at my action.

I'm here to try and make life easier for people. What is your opinion?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 10, 2001, 12:32 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,469 Posts
I like the way you do it.
Makes it a particapatory event to post a subject in the proper topic file.
Sparky Paul
PJB's Seriously Aeronautical Stuff
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 10, 2001, 12:49 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Andy

As one from these isles you'll be familiar with the oft-quoted statement that the best referee is the one that you don't even notice during the game- that for me just about sums up your handling of the moderator's role and it works very well as far as I am concerned.

Thanks

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Closed Thread