Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:30 PM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
508 Posts
New Product
DJI Flamewheel F450 Clone

Just thought I would throw this into the pile of ever-growing quad clones!. I found this at GLB (GoodLuckBuy), http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hj-x450-c...uadcopter.html All pics are property of GLB and their perspective owners (In other words, Not mine) but I don't think they'll mind me advertising it for them. At half the price it may be a bargain, It doesn't appear to have the metal inserts in the plastic arms (Hard to tell from the pics). Anyone willing to give it a go, Let us know if it's any good.
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
lol!
Maybe this one doesn't vibrate to death like original
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:40 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,831 Posts
Doesn't appear to have the power distribution either?
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Doesn't appear to have the power distribution either?
That alone accounted for like 200 grams of the original lamewheel. Not something to get excited about. I'd rather have a light carbon center.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
They should sell it with extra arms.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:44 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
TC bashing a DJI product? Say it aint so!

I personally love the power distribution plate. Makes the quad look nice and clean. And the completed frame only weighs about 270-280 grams so what's the big deal? A Vic 450 frame weighs about the same, and that's without the power board and tabs for FPV gear. And those are things I would've added to the frame myself asap. I've seen people have problems with jello in GoPro footage with many other frames. I have very little jello in my videos, all I did was put the camera on velcro instead of hard-mounting it to the frame.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Last edited by WiseDuck; Feb 12, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
TC bashing a DJI product? Say it aint so!

I personally love the power distribution plate. Makes the quad look nice and clean. And the completed frame only weighs about 270-280 grams so what's the big deal? A Vic 450 frame weighs about the same, and that's without the power board and tabs for FPV gear. And those are things I would've added to the frame myself asap. I've seen people have problems with jello in GoPro footage with many other frames. I have very little jello in my videos, all I did was put the camera on velcro instead of hard-mounting it to the frame.
lol, all you care about is jello? It's not even flyable with anything except naza, and I'm guessing the frames sent out separately won't even fly with that

DJI F450 Flame Wheel aka LameWheel vibrations FAIL (0 min 52 sec)
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:07 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,311 Posts
My Flamewheel and Naza flies like a dream..and luv the PCB board..
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:15 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Something has GOT to be wrong with that setup. My quads have never done that, if they did they would've crashed a long time ago.

I have two F450 frames. One with the Naza (Rock-solid as far as I can tell.) and one with the Crius board. I had issues with that for a while, but others have the same issues too with other frames, the accelerometer seems to be insanely sensitive. Installed a modified firmware and stepped down to 8" props since the 10" APC props were too large for windy conditions. So far so good.

It certainly isn't the perfect frame, but I'm happy with it. And I'll jump at the first opportunity I get to purchase the new Vic FPV frame, I don't have anything against this frame or other frames.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Something has GOT to be wrong with that setup.
yep, the frame.
Moved FC from blueskyrc frame (hardmounted with plastic standoffs). Same 20-28 KDA motors, same 8" props, about the same size, same ESC (esc32), same battery, etc.

One flies smooth as silk, one can't even get off the ground due to bouncing throttle and some weird resonance going through the whole frame.
Note, this is one of the "free" frames they gave away to WK-M owners. Got rid of that together with WK-M.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:55 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
What are you guys on about? My F450 flies very well using MultiWii + 10DOF.
I don't get any vibration or resonance at all, I do balance my props though
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:41 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
508 Posts
My experience with the Flamewheel started out good, using sunnysky 2212 980kv motors and 10x4.5 props on 3s. With stock ESC's and my FY-90q FC everything was nice and smooth. I wanted to try out my new bumblebee FC so I flashed the ESC's with Simonk's firmware and without changing the motors or props the thing acted like the props were way out of balance. I summed it up to the faster motor response from the new firmware, That and the fact that taller motors and larger props multiply the torque on the arms. I am waiting on some 2208 1260kv motors that I'm either going to use 9x4.7 or 8x4.5 props on. The shorter motors and smaller props should decrease the amount of torque on the arms causing less vibrations. I absolutely love my sunnysky motors, best low priced motor I have seen come out of China. I have also ordered some HobbyLord high PWM ESC's form GLB since they are cheap and available now at GLB. I figure they might do better since they were designed to go with the BB FC. My CRIUS FC has been on the back burner since I got it, Everytime I mess with it, It tries to kill me!. Luckily I have been able to deflect it everytime it has come at me. It powers up O.K. And it's able to arm the motors then the motors start running, I lift off then land and my motors won't re-arm, I try to disarm and re-arm the motors and nothing happens then I noticed if I give it right aileron the thing goes crazy, Motors go full throttle and I have to run for cover. Funny thing is, This device is supposed to balance the craft but whenever it goes crazy it doesn't matter where I am in relation to the quad, It comes blasting towards me In an unbalanced state!!!. Anyhow, I think this would be an O.K. frame as long as your not trying to do aerobatics with it but who knows. No matter how many things are going plug-N-play these days some things just don't plug-N-play nice together.
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:46 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
lol!
Maybe this one doesn't vibrate to death like original
I have a WKM on my F450 frame and I love it. I fly around pirouetting the whole flight, I even can piouette as I land with the new IOC feature.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:58 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Speaking of the Crius board, today I tried to fly my first quad with the F450 frame and the Crius board. A second after take-off it flipped violently to the left and landed upside down in the snow. I may have a busted ESC now, or two. This is just weird. I setup another quad last night, maybe I changed something on my transmitter...

So yeah, today I learned that pre-flight checks are IMPORTANT.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
9,701 Posts
never mind
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Last edited by blade strike; Nov 25, 2013 at 04:18 PM.