SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:41 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
For the Arizona sailors

(I just remembered to post this, sorry for the lateness)

Good day Skippers,

Mesa Model Yacht Club is pleased to announce a Marblehead regatta on Saturday April 7, 2012 at the Dobson Pond. This is a “fun” regatta open to everyone to sail (members and non-members). The goal is to get as many Marblehead’s together and to have fun, while keeping with the Rules of Racing.

Skippers meeting is at 9:45am, and racing begins at 10:00am. We will try to get 12 races in, with 2 throw outs, time permitted.

Beginners are welcome, and will be coached through the rules of racing, if needed.

There are several “Classic” Marblehead’s out there being sailed or in storage. They are welcome to sail also! If 3 or more “Classic” Marblehead’s show up, they will have their own “mini regatta”! They will have their own start after the last modern Marblehead rounds the first mark.

Registration is free! But we are asking donations to keep the club afloat (times are tuff). If you are not a member of Mesa Model Yacht club please consider it, registration forms will be made available

Certificates for 1st to 3rd will be awarded. If enough Classic boats show up, certificates will be made for them also.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,526 Posts
Pictures if you've got 'em!
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:40 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
Unfortunately, not many people showed up Some left early, others arrived late. We only had 5 boats on the water at one time.

Sadly, this is the start of our off season. Everyone leaves for the summer for cooler climates.

It was difficult keeping score for the certificates. I basically gave those who left, last place for the rest of the regatta, same for those who came late. I just couldn't bear giving them DNF/DNS's. That was the best I could do for the situation.

Happily, I did get first place over all. And not just because I completed all the heats, but I came in first in all but two.

As for the pics. For some reason, we just aren't the shutterbugs as much as others. Even though one of the guys that sails with us was a profession photographer before he retired.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:12 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Sorry I couldn't make it, Guz. First day off in way too long. Not waking up to an alarm was the best thing ever.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,526 Posts
A Marblehead Kit was recently added to the AMYA classifieds if anyone is interested.
http://www.theamya.org/classifieds/

From the sounds of it, it's something from the 80's that didn't get built.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,526 Posts
Duncan Dana

Today was the first race for Modern M's at Redds.

Since our regular photographer (My girlfriend) was off at work, and competing while taking photos is next to impossible, I only managed one action shot.

We had 6 boats show.
Only 5 made the Photo.

And 4 of those were swing-rigs.

Yes, that's my conventional B+ rig in last place on the downwind leg.

Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:36 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
UK (Vane Sailing) Marblehead Championship 2012

Last weekend saw 10 boats competing over two days at Fleetwood. The wind direction was variable but often the wind speed would be between 8 - 15mph. A great weekend with some skippers electing not to use spinnackers when they could, as the boats were simply too fast to keep up.
Please view the (UK) MYA website soon for pictures and results. My new design 'Pixel' showed good potential finishing 2nd..

Now to convert the boat to a radio yacht, ready for the Radio Marblehead Championships at Fleetwood again in June.
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor View Post
Last weekend saw 10 boats competing over two days at Fleetwood. The wind direction was variable but often the wind speed would be between 8 - 15mph. A great weekend with some skippers electing not to use spinnackers when they could, as the boats were simply too fast to keep up.
Please view the (UK) MYA website soon for pictures and results. My new design 'Pixel' showed good potential finishing 2nd..

Now to convert the boat to a radio yacht, ready for the Radio Marblehead Championships at Fleetwood again in June.
Vane-Steering M's with Spinnakers.

AWESOME
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,526 Posts
Today was the first VM Race of the season at Redds. We had 9 boats turn out.

One really dead-wind start, so I was able to get a photo of that.

Here's a couple more photos.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,526 Posts
A little video of tune-ups prior to racing

Vintage Marbleheads (1 min 9 sec)
Last edited by breakwater; Apr 22, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,137 Posts
Is Mr Stanley Goodwin the wizard of Redds Pond still sailing,if so give him my regards from Barbados,i have sailed many Championship regattas with him and not heard of him for years i think 2003 in San Diego was the last time.Thanks Peter
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Is Mr Stanley Goodwin the wizard of Redds Pond still sailing,if so give him my regards from Barbados,i have sailed many Championship regattas with him and not heard of him for years i think 2003 in San Diego was the last time.Thanks Peter
He sure is, and he's still tough to beat.
PM me your Full-Name and I'll send your regards to him.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:41 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
I pulled out my old M (from the '90s) for a refurb. I got it all stripped down and ready fro sanding and paint.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:43 PM
rjd
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Apr 2009
93 Posts
Magic Dragon Mach II

Is the Magic Dragon Mach II considered a Vintage or Classic Marblehead?

Robert
rjd is offline Find More Posts by rjd
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd View Post
Is the Magic Dragon Mach II considered a Vintage or Classic Marblehead?

Robert
A classic, with bulb protruding forward of the keel.
-If the lead was even with the keel, it would be considered a High-Flyer. (because of the spade rudder)
-If the lead was even with the keel, and the rudder was a skeg, or full-keel, it would be Vintage.

All 3 are sailing together in my neck of the woods currently... with the Modern M's seperate.

That's a very nice breed of M you have there.
Last edited by breakwater; Apr 24, 2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Technicalities