Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
Where is she now?
Do you have any photos to upload?

Pretty cool
It either is in the junk room or got tossed out.Edit found it in the garage it's rebuildable needs monocote covering bow bumper and a rudder i am shure i have the keel and a swing rig with no sails,carbon hull.At one time it was sailing so it's got K trunk etc.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Last edited by The Tug; Mar 15, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
It either is in the junk room or got tossed out.Edit found it in the garage it's rebuildable needs monocote covering bow bumper and a rudder i am shure i have the keel and a swing rig with no sails,carbon hull.At one time it was sailing so it's got K trunk etc.
Nice,
If it makes it's way out of hibernation, please do share.

Not to discredit the photos, in the least-bit that ToniGee just uploaded, but it would be fantastic to see other "modern" boats in-action other than the big-name Skapels, Crazy Tubes, etc.

By the way- Nice job ToniGee
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
question......A local fella has 2 hulls for sale with a amya number and tag in them and I think they may be marbleheads but im not sure.
the amya sticker says hull M2385 and the other M2534.
If anyone could be of help id appreciate it.
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
question......A local fella has 2 hulls for sale with a amya number and tag in them and I think they may be marbleheads but im not sure.
the amya sticker says hull M2385 and the other M2534.
If anyone could be of help id appreciate it.
Those are more than likely to be Marbleheads, based on the hull numbers.

Your best bet to try and find out extra information on them, is to email class secretary Standley Goodwin.

But, before you use his time, I would suggest ensuring that they are, infact previously-registered M's... Post photos here if you would like.

Stan does have the registration and lineage of some boats, and perhaps he has the design and owner's name of these you inquiring about.

Given the hull numbers, M2385 was likely built/registered around 1982.
M2534 I'm guessing more at, but is probably more around 1990.

As an aside, I do think it would be nice to have all classes publish the hull information to the class.
as an example, the EC-12 data is available for members of the class that shows the lineage of the hull, in excell format, and based on both the owner & the hull

Class Registry:
http://www.ec12.org/Admin/class_registry.htm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:51 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
I kinda got an idea of what I got fro Standley last night. only have one mast though for the 2 boats...anyone have one?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,461 Posts
Quote:
I kinda got an idea of what I got fro Standley last night. only have one mast though for the 2 boats...anyone have one?
Ok, so what kind of info did Standley provide?
We can point you in certain directions for masts & other fittings, but it will vary slightly on what type of boat you have.....

I.E. if you have a 1960s Magic Dragon, you aren't going to want to put a Carbon mast on it....
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
he mainly said the earlier number was about what you said and the latter as such too....I sent him pics of them so he could determine more. He also said the tapered carbon mast I got was good for the newer one and the fittings were good when I described them.....i'll get some pics on here tonight
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,461 Posts
Quote:
he mainly said the earlier number was about what you said and the latter as such too....I sent him pics of them so he could determine more. He also said the tapered carbon mast I got was good for the newer one and the fittings were good when I described them.....i'll get some pics on here tonight
Please do.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
Marbleheads in Annapolis Maryland

I've stumbled across this conversation. Hi Greg. We used to have an active Marblehead group here. I have one of my own design and I know there are at least 5 others around.
My friend at work pointed me to this forum and maybe we will get around to sailing our boats again.
It was as much fun as "real" boat racing and every bit as challenging. The designing and building of my own design was extremely satisfying. We went to the Nationals and a few other regattas and had an AMYA official fleet.
Then it died suddenly. Someone moved, kids took precedence, the CR 914s came in (toy boats).
I still have my Marblehead mold. And I still think it's a boat ahead of it's time. Keel and rig way aft, 20" depth, 7" beam and as I recall, 9 lbs. Electronics were always my downfall - many races lost because of wet wires. Leaks were of all things, through the weave of the carbon of the keel trunk!
Fun remembering all this.
tprice is offline Find More Posts by tprice
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:46 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,070 Posts
Hey Tom, I just heard from John Z, too. I am getting down to Annapolis pretty regularly. We ought to have a "Vintage" M sail get together soon.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,461 Posts
Big news in the class:

There is a movement that is being proofread before formally being submitted. It looks to bring ALL of the Marblehead class boats together under one umbrella. Vintage, Classic, and modern.
It makes all boats that sailed in the class at one time able to compete in the same event.
No more separation of Vintage, High-Flyer, Classic, Modern that killed the vibrancy of the class.
It enacts a new set of rules that is INCLUSIVE, and not EXCLUSIVE.

More details when it's officially ready to be offered, but it should be very agressive in bringing the boats back to the pond that were once left in the dust of progress.

There should be details in the Next AMYA quarterly. If not then the Summer quarterly.
It's too early to really lay out the guidelines, but as stated previously:

The problem in the M-class is not the lack of boats, it's the lack of active owners...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
213 Posts
Isn't the Marblehead an International Class? Are there going to be new international rules or special America only rules?
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2006
573 Posts
The us M rules are already special. As far as I understand the Amya has not adopted the international rules.
slotracer577 is online now Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:27 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
644 Posts
Hey guys! Mine has been on the wall for a while but it won't take long to get it set up again.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:19 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,141 Posts
Jumping the gun a bit as I'm still looking for value, but a fellow from northern Wisconsin is looking to sell a "mid-vintage" Soling 50 (Marblehead class) sail # 1575. Hasn't been in water in some time (static display) and appears to be in general good shape - except for one "ouch" on leading edge of keel that will need a bit of filler. It will come with two sets of sails (color and white) and has an Airtronics FM radio and a Vortex SC-3 arm winch. I believe this can race as one design as well as 50/800 and I am guessing mid to late 1970's or early 80's perhaps.

As noted - I am trying to gather enough info for him to set price. He knows radio would probably need an update but is concerned with cost to ship as it would require a box to hold it. When I get some pricing and an OK - I will update. In the meantime a photo of boat taken in 2009 and still there, the radio and winch layout. Also - if you provide me with your email, I can send a full size image for seeing more detail.

Dick

Please PM me if you wish to be notified directly if/when this becomes available. NOTE that I am not involved in this sale other than - just trying to find a new home. We don't race this size in Minneapolis area, otherwise I would jump on it.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.