SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:39 PM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
78 Posts
Hi Dick L. -
Not to cross-talk with your question to ToniGe, yet I was wondering the same.
My best guess is:
-The winch servo is a RMG rather then the Gaupner/Futaba original.
-In doing so the mainsheet/jibsheet need to be re-routed outside the mainpost cathedral.
-This sailor has spent a lot of time to reduce friction and any 'sheets' from getting caught.
Nice stuff...! More later as I pull out my boat to look at some upgrades!!!
Houdini13 is online now Find More Posts by Houdini13
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:22 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Toni - any chance you paid attention to - or recall, the small colored tubing on one photo of the deck? They look like they may have been used as "bowsies" - but I could be wrong. With so much "activity" going on in the deck "accessories" - if you didn't pay attention - no problem. Just thought I would ask.

Dick

It is the 5th. photo or the one captioned as "How Do Ya?"
I think the skipper coloured each line/bowsie/pulley to wherever it adjusted just so he could keep track of where it went and what he was adjusting.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Jan 2006
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp. View Post
Thanks everyone,I am trying to find out more and the spelling could be wrong as the guys at the club were talking.Are there plans available.
Have a great day
No plans that I know of, but you can buy the complete boat @ http://www.walickiboats.de/
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:39 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
577 Posts
To get an explanation of what some of those lines do check out this old issue of the AMYA magazine starting on page 33.

http://www.theamya.org/my/138-SampleWebEdition0801.pdf
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everyone,I am trying to find out more and the spelling could be wrong as the guys at the club were talking.Are there plans available.
Have a great day
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
No plans that I know of, but you can buy the complete boat @ http://www.walickiboats.de/

Yes, there are plans, but it is for an older version of the Skalpel.
Just like all other Ms the Skalpel went through development....

Here you go:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=65161
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
The BONE used Kraft 7-channel radio gear because that unit had interchangeable crystal modules on both the then current open frequencies and the FM channels requiring a license to "sail".

The maximum number of functions we actually used were:
1.Rudder
2. Sheets
3. "Jib trim" ( relative to main sheet) to get slot right
4.Backstay
5. Vang
6. Jib tweaker

The boat that won the U.S and Canadian Nationals had only the first 5 as I recall.

Karl
"
klkirkman is offline Find More Posts by klkirkman
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
gp.
gp
South Aust.
Joined Aug 2006
58 Posts
Thanks Breakwater
Have a great day
gp. is online now Find More Posts by gp.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Breakwater
Have a great day
Not a problem at all!

And special thanks to everyone else helping to bring out all this awesome information on the M 50/800!

have a great day!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:11 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
219 Posts
I bought a RM boat around 1986 that had been Canadian Champion in 1985 I think which I would like to tell you about. It was a "Modified Kisutch" built by Bob Stearne and sailed by Allan Gardiner. The hull was unpainted Kevlar and the boat was called "Goldrush." The main thing I want to tell you about was a very clever system of levers that acted when you sheeted in. In addition to the mainsheet pulling the jib and main booms inboard the main luff the backstay the vang and the outhaul all tightened. So very clever. I do not have any drawings so please don`t ask. The boat still exists and is sailed irregularly but the combo arrangement has long since gone. I still have some parts in my scrap drawer I believe. You just never know when you might need a little bit of carbon tube....right?
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:14 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
857 Posts
Hello Captain,
Your talking about the 'Gizmo' invented by Graham Bantock for 'A' Swing rig also used very effectively by Brad Gibson at this years RM Worlds I have just built such a rig I'll post some pictures up shortly.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
Hello Captain,
Your talking about the 'Gizmo' invented by Graham Bantock for 'A' Swing rig also used very effectively by Brad Gibson at this years RM Worlds I have just built such a rig I'll post some pictures up shortly.
No,
He is not referring to the "Gizmo" but please do upload photos of that....
The Gizmo is a similar feature and was designed later in M-class progression, and is used on swing-rigs. The features Captain is describing are on a traditional rig, and include a running backstay.

The levers he is referring to are tied into a swing-arm winch. Where the arm sheets in, it pulls in the items mentioned. I own and actively sail a Kisutch, which is set-up to use the same features.... I only use the running backstay tensioner.
I will take photos an upload them when I can.

If your Kistuch is Kevlar, then it is a later version of the boat. Here's a little history on the Kisutch:

The original KISUTCH design was 13 lbs, with 7 lbs of lead on a 12" fin. By the time it won the Worlds in 1980, the boat was down to under 12 lbs with 8 lbs of lead on a 14" fin.
Later versions were down to only about 10.5 lbs with 7.5 lbs. of lead on a 16" fin.... but the beam was pulled in (and the sheer cut down to match)
Beams as small as 8" were used (6.5 lbs. on an 18" fin), but 8.5" was typical and seemed the fastest overall....
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
The levers he is referring to are tied into a swing-arm winch. Where the arm sheets in, it pulls in the items mentioned. I own and actively sail a Kisutch, which is set-up to use the same features.... I only use the running backstay tensioner.
This photo is not great, but shows an idea of how the running backstay tensioner works with a swing-arm winch.

When the winch sheets in, the arm pulls on a line that runs out of the stern, over a block and to a fixed end. This creates a 2:1 Purchase. What that means is 2" of line movement results in 1" of backstay movement. The ammount of torque required to pull the backstay down by the servo is cut in half because of the 2:1 purchase.

You can move the end that attaches to the swing-arm either inboard or outboard to acheive more line-throw, and therefore more or less backstay movement. But, Keep in mind more torque is required the further the line moves outboard on the swing-arm.

I'd love to give credit where credit is due, but I do not know who invented this concept. This happens to be installed on a Kisutch, designed by Bob Sterne, but I don't know if he is the inventor of it?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
To get an explanation of what some of those lines do check out this old issue of the AMYA magazine starting on page 33.

http://www.theamya.org/my/138-SampleWebEdition0801.pdf
On the jib pivot drum to the front there is a thumb screw that adjust the jib boom end height,i have owned a Scalpel sinse 1999 and won two nationals but not figured this out yet lol,One year Janus was there and did the adjustment for me because of the language barrier i never understood a damm thing he was trying to explain i just sent it down a counted the turns relative to each rig and marked it on the jib,to this day i still don't have a clue what it's for.
Post 774 previous page third pic shows this thumb nut clearly.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Last edited by The Tug; Dec 14, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
A Bunch of M-Starts

Marblehead Model Yacht Starts (7 min 21 sec)
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:44 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
On the jib pivot drum to the front there is a thumb screw that adjust the jib boom end height,i have owned a Scalpel sinse 1999 and won two nationals but not figured this out yet lol,One year Janus was there and did the adjustment for me because of the language barrier i never understood a damm thing he was trying to explain i just sent it down a counted the turns relative to each rig and marked it on the jib,to this day i still don't have a clue what it's for.
Post 774 previous page third pic shows this thumb nut clearly.
Well it makes me feel better now that nobody knows either there is no reference to it in the article.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug