HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Jan 2011
52 Posts
Nzl 756

Hi NZL 756. Is this Mark Jenkins? great to see you are hooked on model yachting. Say hello to Neil Wood and Alan Pearson for me. Hamilton Lake brings back lots of memories of Dinghy and model Yacht racing for me.
Cheers mate Scott Mohring
fizzzy is offline Find More Posts by fizzzy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
My viper comes in at 1 lb 15.5 oz with wood deck, rudder, radio and batteries. It was lighter with the film deck, but I got tired of dealing with the film and replaced it with wood. The keel is only 19 in from bottom of the hull to top of bulb. My Ajax is 24" from bottom of hull to top of bulb and is easily over the 2.3 lbs. My Pixel is 23.75 deep and over 2.3 lbs. Adding weight would be easy, but cutting ~4 in off the fin would be painful.

How deep a boat can Redds pond handle?

Just weighed my "Archer" - a Carbon Fiber boat.

2.22lbs with batteries, rudder, and the film-deck still on it.

This boat weighs 10.3 lbs all-up ready to race.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:03 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
The Archer was a fantastic boat.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
The Archer was a fantastic boat.
The tallest rig for it is a 74" luff, which is essentially a B+ rig.... Kinda tough to take a run at a new boat, unless....... Um, there's a fleet to even things out.
Sails on it are awesome, Super-flat cut and extremely light... made by Amen. Mylar but from the original Test505 era, so they are tissue-paper thin.
The boat has plenty of giddy-up left in it.

I'm more interested in keeping boats "period" accurate.. but I do wonder how the Archer would do with an 80" luff. I don't think an Archer ever had a 80" luff main aside from a retrofit.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
The Archer did have an 80" luff main with a carbon mast. It did not originally have a swing rig.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
The Archer did have an 80" luff main with a carbon mast. It did not originally have a swing rig.
Huh.
The one I've got has two rigs, a 74" and a 64" luff, both original to the boat...
Maybe this is an early production boat..? or if it had a 3rd rig it got lost along the way.
I'm not the original owner, so who knows.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
Speaking of chines, at least we were a few days ago, check out what our friend Mainboom found:

http://mainboom.blogspot.com/
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:20 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
I know Bantock was using chines on Ms as far back as the '80s.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Speaking of chines, at least we were a few days ago, check out what our friend Mainboom found:

http://mainboom.blogspot.com/
Chines combined with an 11.1" Beam!
Whoa, that designer sure didn't want their boat to heel... haha.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,482 Posts
[http://mainboom.blogspot.com/[/QUOTE]

If you use Google Translator, to translate from Italian to English, here is what the page says:

This picture was taken in 1983 and is a German project class Marblehead. even then you can see the famous corners from stern reaching almost the bow. this should remove all doubt about the fact that the boats are matches with the edge of the Lintel. absolutely wrong. there must also say that despite the Lintel is dominated by two large samples, since its inception has won very little. is certainly a valid boat when the wind is from rig 2 or 3. In fact the comparison between Lintel and Britpop is not admissible if it were not (only?) for almost 30 mm narrower (Britpop) waterline.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:59 AM
Italy, Abruzzo, Pescara
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
If you use Google Translator, to translate from Italian to English, here is what the page says:

This picture was taken in 1983 and is a German project class Marblehead. even then you can see the famous corners from stern reaching almost the bow. this should remove all doubt about the fact that the boats are matches with the edge of the Lintel. absolutely wrong. there must also say that despite the Lintel is dominated by two large samples, since its inception has won very little. is certainly a valid boat when the wind is from rig 2 or 3. In fact the comparison between Lintel and Britpop is not admissible if it were not (only?) for almost 30 mm narrower (Britpop) waterline.[/QUOTE]

perfect.
Thank you for your follow on main boom
max67 is offline Find More Posts by max67
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:13 AM
toyboatskipper
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
Sorry, but just for the record, thats a wrong information about the Cirkus lines shown there in http://mainboom.blogspot.com/

The design lines shown in the pic are of the swedish Cirkus - so far I know designed by Lars Andren and he achieved a 3. place at WC 1982 in France - Dünkirchen with it.

There was a somewhat similar design later in Germany made by Manuel Dotti (Berlin), called HUNTER (in a certain way to understand its going against Walicki boats ,-) )

http://www.radiosailing.de/technik/d.../entry/55.html

From my own experience I can say: A very good boat in that days - I sailed the borrowed original (the red one in the pic from the link) at 1986 worlds in Fleetwood with great own success and satisfaction. Unfortunately (for the designer) most skippers here stayed on Scalpel as it was much easier to buy complete and in perfect race assembly. The Hunter had had very good pointing abilities and was fast downwinds due to a short keel...

Pics from RC-Network:

An impression of the frames

This was a further development of the Hunter-Design towards a 10R made by Rainer Klörres (Lübeck)

Very fast in fresh/strong winds - but suffered in light conditions from too much wetted area.

Regards

Thomas
Thomas MM GER15 is offline Find More Posts by Thomas MM GER15
Last edited by Thomas MM GER15; Dec 06, 2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,482 Posts
Mouldy Oldies
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,482 Posts
Brand-new Old Timer