SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaranator View Post
Another one out from under the tarp and back in the water. Just moved from San Diego to Hull, MA, and after a few years of inactivity, I'm back. This boat was built by Bob Debow for Larry Fogel, and is a replica of the boat Bob won the Nationals with in either 1980 or '82. Any ideas on what it is? Just wondering'... I'm in for "Classic' racing next spring.
Well,
Very glad to hear of yet another M.
That must have been a silk-lined tarp that it was under 'cause darn that thing travelled without a single scratch from the time-space continuum.

What is it?
I don't know.

But it looks like a Toad to me.
Here's one to compare (The Red boat). (note the rudder in this boat is wrong, the original was lost, and this is a US1M Rudder)
----Not that it even matters! you can put whatever you want for a rudder in there! It's the M-Class!

You can call it a Classic all you want, but I ask you this:
Does the Classic Marblehead Class exist?

What class does it belong to then?
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:26 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Great list of boats. Wonder where the majority of those boats were sailed.
They were published in the English magazine, Model Maker. The designs were published sometime between the early fifties through the early eighties.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest View Post
They were published in the English magazine, Model Maker. The designs were published sometime between the early fifties through the early eighties.
They sure were.
And I'm also sure it's just a fraction of the design names we could come up with if someone was to try and consolodate a list of Ms from it's inception to present day.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
693 Posts
Some of those designs are still available from myhobbystore.com.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, MA, Hull
Joined Dec 2004
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
Well,
Very glad to hear of yet another M.
That must have been a silk-lined tarp that it was under 'cause darn that thing travelled without a single scratch from the time-space continuum.

What is it?
I don't know.

But it looks like a Toad to me.
Here's one to compare (The Red boat). (note the rudder in this boat is wrong, the original was lost, and this is a US1M Rudder)
----Not that it even matters! you can put whatever you want for a rudder in there! It's the M-Class!

You can call it a Classic all you want, but I ask you this:
Does the Classic Marblehead Class exist?

What class does it belong to then?
Yup - sure looks Toad-y. Larry took very good care of it. It looks pretty darn good considering its' age. Sails are pretty stretched out, nothing a new set won't cure. Hope to meet you in the spring.
soaranator is online now Find More Posts by soaranator
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
A couple Carbon Ms and a Vintage for-sale on the AMYA Classifieds...

http://www.theamya.org/classifieds/
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
If anyone is interested, this 1982 Production Bone is for-sale in Conneticut. at a Very, Very good price.
Just another M that could be sailed economically.

The boat comes with two rigs. 2403 is original the the boat, and 3173 was an extra rig added to the boat later.

There are two radio boards. One is the original that carried 7 servos; the other a newer replacement. Both install with just two toggle holdowns - clever! The white rectangle is a fiberglass frame for a slide-in hatch. Winch & servos included, but haven't been tested.

This boat is a Marblehead class, and comes from the "Classic" era.

Contact me if interested.... I'll fill in the details.

Boat is located in Conn. No shipping, No exceptions.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
577 Posts
Does anyone know the total weight of some of the current design boats and how much of that is the fin and bulb?

I have seen a few places that some current hulls weigh about 12 onces or 340 grams.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Jan 2006
598 Posts
My viper was about 12 oz for the hull, rails, keel box. the bulb was around 3 to 3.2 kg if I remember correctly. I sail in primarily light air, so I built a fin with an IOM bulb. Works great when the wind is less than 3.
When I weighed the hulls ready to sail, ie radio, batteries, rudder installed they were between 750g and 950g depending on design. So about 2 lbs for a ready to sail hull.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
HOWEVER!!!!

There seems to be a lower-limit on weight. That means, too light is no-good just as too-heavy is no-good!

As my rough estimate, a 10lb boat, ready to sail with batteries and everything seems to be the absolute lower-limit for a Marblehead..... Anything less than 10lbs seems like it doesn't want to sail. And it certainly doesn't want to carry through a tack......

A light boat will accellerate quickly, and De-cellerate just as quickly when it looses air.
A heavy boat will take a while to get up to hull speed.... BUT.... Will take just as long to slow-down.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
Does anyone know the total weight of some of the current design boats and how much of that is the fin and bulb?

I have seen a few places that some current hulls weigh about 12 onces or 340 grams.
Anyways...

I do not know the Specific/scientific answer to your question, but I would be willing to bet that you won't find any of the current designs under 10lbs in all-up race-ready condition.

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime-in.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2006
598 Posts
Depends on conditions. In the light air we sailed, my viper at 8 lbs all up did very well. that was with an IOM bulb. At that weight I would not want to sail in more than 5 mph, but our summer conditions are usually 1 to 3. luckily I had a heavier bulb for the heavy air days. IMHO the hull complete should be no more than 800g, thats hull, radio and rudder. As long as its strong and stiff enough, I dont think you can have too light a hull.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
Depends on conditions. In the light air we sailed, my viper at 8 lbs all up did very well. that was with an IOM bulb. At that weight I would not want to sail in more than 5 mph, but our summer conditions are usually 1 to 3. luckily I had a heavier bulb for the heavy air days. IMHO the hull complete should be no more than 800g, thats hull, radio and rudder. As long as its strong and stiff enough, I dont think you can have too light a hull.
I too have a bulb that weights 5lbs of lead for my Viper.... But in those light drifting conditions, I really don't even consider it sailing... More like floating or watching paint dry.
Most of the time you can't even employ racing tactics... just hope you drift to 1st place

So, I guess I should have said something more like, I bet you won't find a boat under 10lbs sailing in "normal" air where you are making atleast "headway speed!"

No matter what the vintage or even class of boat. There's no doubt that the concepts are the same.
A light and thin hull, light rig, light deck, and light electronics leave less mass to be counter-acted by the ballast.... Therefore the thinnest/lightest hull possible will make for a better righting moment.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
Depends on conditions. In the light air we sailed, my viper at 8 lbs all up did very well. that was with an IOM bulb. At that weight I would not want to sail in more than 5 mph, but our summer conditions are usually 1 to 3.
Don't forget.
You can enter 1 fin/Bulb setup into a regatta......
Most change their boat tenderness with the Rigs... I know you're fully aware, but just sayin' An 8lb Viper is probably not the best bet for the win.......

......Unless of course we all agree to hold a 2-day Marblehead event in Redds Pond next August.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
78 Posts
Hi Ted -
I liked your question and wieghed my boat as you asked. The top three boats at the 2012 USA MH Nationals were all the same hull, keel/bulb and rudders. All around the same vintage and Walicki made very few changes at that time. The sails were different and some of the masts so I can not give you a 'all up wieght' of each boat.
- Hull: 2lbs .6oz (.925kg)
- Keel fin and Bulb: 7lbs 1.2oz (3.210kg)
- Boat/Keel/Rudder: 9lbs 2.8oz (4.160kg)
Houdini13 is offline Find More Posts by Houdini13