SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
576 Posts
Brad Gibson is the new Marblehead World Champion.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
77 Posts
MH Worlds

That is one way to dominate a regatta, Congrats to Brad.
It's also nice to see the MH class strong and thriving world wide.
Houdini13 is offline Find More Posts by Houdini13
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Feb 2010
576 Posts
Results:

http://www.avrv.asso.fr/Docs/MONDIAL...ts/general.htm

Rumor is that there may be another Worlds in Holland in two years.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:34 PM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
215 Posts
Marblehead Designs

Welldone to Brad
I see that the Brits take the top 3 places with 3 different GBR designs. Which is very interesting. If we can all recall, I mentioned previously about the Skalpul, its regarded as the best performing design in the States. Personally I think its out dated but the highest Skalpul finished 5th i think, very commendable. However, do people think now that Marblehead designs have moved on alot from the Skalpul. The British based yachts are either new or have been updated in the last 2 years. My thoughts are based on this result and the UK Championships this year.

Im interested on other skippers thoughts...

JT
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Feb 2010
576 Posts
Certainly Brad's is a new design, but are the others?

Somewhere I read that Martin Robert's boat won the UK Nationals in 2006.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:48 PM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
215 Posts
Brad's boat is new, Martin's boat had updated foils and rigs in the last 3 months. GB's boat is continually being worked on aswell as the rigs.
JT
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Somewhere along the line, someone was asking for a photo of a Magic Dragon.

Well.
Here's one, from the late 1960's
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Feb 2010
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor View Post
Brad's boat is new, Martin's boat had updated foils and rigs in the last 3 months. GB's boat is continually being worked on aswell as the rigs.
JT

I guess my point is that you don't need to throw the hull away, there are many ways to improve performance.

I have found a huge improvement on my IOM's performance by changing rigs: new sails, new mast and even new booms. I might add that it is all from BG.
Last edited by TedFlack; Oct 20, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
77 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of the swing rig, so any of those designs to me is eralavent. Having owned many Skalpels I find that there is plenty of speed in the tuning. When it is dial in, there is nothing faster. But it does take sometime and know how on tuning.
I'm glad that there is so much talk about the Skalpel, it is the pace horse for all these other designs to beat. I had planned to do the MH Worlds but the USA slot was given to someone else (and he did not go....?). My choice of boat would have been the Skalpel for the one major reason that I own one and can get what I want out of the boat.
If the next Worlds are to be in Holland, I would do my homework about the regatta venue, see what the conditions are for that time period the regatta is to partake then decide on a boat/design a year before the regatta and sail/learn the boat as much as possible.
Right now the top US sailors are focused on the IOM's and the MH class has suffered because of this in the US. There are still some nice MH racing in AZ and in FL and that is what it takes. Start locally and let it build.
I would think a 2013 NCR could piggy back with another venue such as this years SD Race Week. Maybe in FL or Texas or back in CA.
Good stuff....!!!
Houdini13 is offline Find More Posts by Houdini13
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini13 View Post
If the next Worlds are to be in Holland, I would do my homework about the regatta venue, see what the conditions are for that time period the regatta is to partake then decide on a boat/design a year before the regatta and sail/learn the boat as much as possible.
BAM
You're exactly right!

Example:
Here in the USA, alot of our focus has been on pinching every last gram of wieght out of the boat... But, if the next worlds were to be in a place such as Holland, we just don't get the stiff winds that they do! The Ultra-Ultralight boats will be knocked silly!

We just don't (as a generality) have the heavy-air venues that they do.

If NOAA forecasts 10mph winds for Marblehead, I can garuntee you It's blowing 5mph at Redds Pond!

Again, the whole point of the M-Class is an adaptation and interpretation of the rules to create a boat that will excell at whatever you want. Heck, I've got an M that will turn on a dime with really flat stations, and another that won't turn at all with elipses!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:27 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
I'm not very knowledgeable about boat designs, or even rules and tactics. With that said, I do believe that, much like sailplanes, there are designs that shine in different conditions. Combine the right boat with the right conditions, and a good skill-set in general sailing ability and tactics, and anyone can win. It just so happens that the better skippers tend to have a better ability at making the most of what conditions will allow, so they win much more frequently.

Does anyone here take multiple boats for different conditions at a contest?
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
I'm not very knowledgeable about boat designs, or even rules and tactics. With that said, I do believe that, much like sailplanes, there are designs that shine in different conditions. Combine the right boat with the right conditions, and a good skill-set in general sailing ability and tactics, and anyone can win. It just so happens that the better skippers tend to have a better ability at making the most of what conditions will allow, so they win much more frequently.

Does anyone here take multiple boats for different conditions at a contest?
The #1 thing that will make you win is... You.
A fast boat helps, but if you can't tune it, and cant' sail it, it's hopeless.

A good skipper can make a slow boat fast.
A bad skipper can make a fast boat slow.

With that said, no there's no reason to bring multiple boats to an event.
If you did, you'd never "Settle in" to what you're doing and get focused.
3-Rigs to cover wind speeds, and 2 keels is sufficient. Anything more, atleast in my mind you're confusing the issue, and not thinking about sailing & tuning, but rather what combination of rigs & keels, weights, angles, science blah blah blah.

There's one proven way to figure out if your boat is fast...
Sail it!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:53 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
855 Posts
RM Worlds 2012

Just got home after a 12 hour drive and short ferry across the English Channel from the RM Worlds in France I'll post some pictures shortly of the event and some of the boats sailed there.
ToniGe23 is online now Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:17 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
With that said, no there's no reason to bring multiple boats to an event.
If you did, you'd never "Settle in" to what you're doing and get focused.
3-Rigs to cover wind speeds, and 2 keels is sufficient.
I hadn't considered that, as I only have one rig and keel, though the wind today has me considering making up a B rig. First time I ever saw "my" boat submarine, and I had no idea what to do! The servo didn't have the guts to haul the sails in, and there was very little rudder left in the water. It just plowed along until it didn't, and the boat went along it's merry way.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
I hadn't considered that, as I only have one rig and keel, though the wind today has me considering making up a B rig. First time I ever saw "my" boat submarine, and I had no idea what to do! The servo didn't have the guts to haul the sails in, and there was very little rudder left in the water. It just plowed along until it didn't, and the boat went along it's merry way.
Well,
that' all you really need to sail!

One of our skippers took a puff today sailing a swing-rig and got hit with a total knockdown.

If you've never sailed with a swing-rig you wouldn't be familiar yet with the situations where you can get knocked-down, and bury the jib in the water. If you sheet in then (which is the standard panic move) the jib pulls against the water, and puts you even more horizontal!
It was a Bantock Paradox, with about a 89 degree starboard list!

I was sailing a conventional rig today. I saw my rudder twice.
Last edited by breakwater; Oct 21, 2012 at 06:34 PM.