HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:17 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,945 Posts
It certainly looks like the course is one sided and short due to a fixed control area so who gets out in front is gone.Some pretty big shifts and pressure changes as well.So he probably got buried in the heap.Peter
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:10 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
170 Posts
RAce 5A
20121015163957 (6 min 46 sec)
FRA3700 is offline Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:25 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
World (RM) Championship 2012

The results I published yesterday was incomplete, there was a missing race.

The new results for day 2 are:
  1. Brad GIBSON
  2. Graham BANTOCK
  3. Yannick ROSSIGNOL
  4. Nigel WINKLEY
  5. Derer PRIESTLEY
The complete (?) results are here: http://www.avrv.asso.fr/Docs/MONDIAL...2012_10_16.htm.

The skippers have been divided in five fleets of twenty boats, and the HMS system is used with six promotions and relegations, so there are five heats for each race. This is good for the number of boats on water, but it's a very long wait time for the skippers, except for the promoted ones.

When all works well, there are four complete races per day, but yesterday, a very long hearing has led to the suppression of the last race.
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparisy View Post
The skippers have been divided in five fleets of twenty boats, and the HMS system is used with six promotions and relegations, so there are five heats for each race. This is good for the number of boats on water
Just so we are clear....
5 fleets, with 20 boats in each fleet means...

100 participants in this event?
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
Canada, BC, Maple Ridge
Joined Jul 2011
473 Posts
Not quite. In HMS the number in each fleet as they race is capped at 20, but the idle fleets will only have only 14, until the 6 promoted boats arrive. So the regatta size sounds like 4* 14 plus 20.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
Not quite. In HMS the number in each fleet as they race is capped at 20, but the idle fleets will only have only 14, until the 6 promoted boats arrive. So the regatta size sounds like 4* 14 plus 20.

John
Oh yeah...
You're right.....

This link confirms that too. http://www.avrv.asso.fr/Docs/MONDIAL...RATCH%2014.pdf

So we'll call it 70+ participants.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
Just so we are clear....
5 fleets, with 20 boats in each fleet means...

100 participants in this event?
No, there are 68 skippers, divided in 5 fleets, so each fleet is composed from 68 / 5 = 13.6 skippers, rounded to 14 to avoid complications , the last fleet (E fleet) is composed of only 12 skippers plus the 6 relegated from D fleet.

Look at the following AMYA document: "Heat Racing".
Last edited by jpparisy; Oct 17, 2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: correct the url
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts

After the first two races of today, the results are:
  1. Brad GIBSON
  2. Graham BANTOCK
  3. Yannick ROSSIGNOL
  4. Martin ROBERTS
  5. Nigel WINKLEY
I'll ask to have the number of points of each race in the results, instead of the ranking, it will be more easy to understand the variations.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts

There are three more videos on the Patrice "Baba Aurhum" Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/babaaurhum13/videos?view=0.

There was very light wind today, but tomorrow would be a windy day.

20121016123744 (14 min 35 sec)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,462 Posts
Someone said to me today:
"The Europeans controll the M-Class now.... It stinks"

I say:
If you can draw 68 Skippers to a Marblehead class event.... You deserve it.

We can't get 10 to come.
That's what stinks
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
76 Posts
MH Worlds

Is there a list of what boats/design are at this regatta? I see a lot of swing rigs and a turbo'd Skalpel, BG's boat and ??
Conditions look a bit sub par for a Worlds in my opinion. It looks like my local pond with 40deg shifts and wind streaks from China. My goal for a US Nationals would be to have a venue that excels the MH purpose of design, speed and skill.
Houdini13 is offline Find More Posts by Houdini13
Last edited by Houdini13; Oct 16, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:50 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparisy View Post
No, there are 68 skippers, divided in 5 fleets, so each fleet is composed from 68 / 5 = 13.6 skippers, rounded to 14 to avoid complications , the last fleet (E fleet) is composed of only 12 skippers plus the 6 relegated from D fleet.

Look at the following AMYA document: http://www.theamya.org/resources/prorelsys.php.
No HMS with 6 promoted and 68 boats => 68 - 6 = 62 /5 => repartition with 12 or 13 boats / heat + 6 promoted, so heats are raced with 18 or 19 boats.
FRA3700 is offline Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:43 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Aug 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini13 View Post
Is there a list of what boats/design are at this regatta? I see a lot of swing rigs and a turbo'd Skalpel, BG's boat and ??
Conditions look a bit sub par for a Worlds in my opinion. It looks like my local pond with 40deg shifts and wind streaks from China. My goal for a US Nationals would be to have a venue that excels the MH purpose of design, speed and skill.
Part of the skill is picking the wind shift. They don't appear out of nowhere. Also from the video it seems that a good start and staying away from trouble helps.
NZL756 is offline Find More Posts by NZL756
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:52 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,945 Posts
I agree with Houdini,those type of conditions are like russian roulette,one vid shows a scalpel coming from way behing to be first at the weather mark and third by the offset 25ft later that type of sailing dosen't really decide a true champion thats what you call fluking.I've sailed them and they are greyhounds.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
I agree with Houdini,those type of conditions are like russian roulette,one vid shows a scalpel coming from way behing to be first at the weather mark and third by the offset 25ft later that type of sailing dosen't really decide a true champion thats what you call fluking.I've sailed them and they are greyhounds.
In an ideal world we all would like 5-15 breeze from the same direction under sunny skies and shrimp cocktail served at noon 7 days a week.

But, often times in life if you're given lemons, you've gotta make lemonade.

I for one don't see any issues with the wind shifts. That happens everywhere. You've gotta sniff them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZL756 View Post
Part of the skill is picking the wind shift. They don't appear out of nowhere. Also from the video it seems that a good start and staying away from trouble helps.

The only thing I'd like to see different about that venue is the control area.
If you can walk along with your boat up& down the course, you can have a better perspective. And, the more intamite you can become with your boat, the cleaner, tighter and faster you can sail.

The windward & leward marks are very difficult at distances, as demonstrated by some of the pile-ups rounding marks. Some inside overlaps aren't observed.... only because the outside boats probably can't see where they really are in the fleet.

Just like the Marblehead class will always design a better boat.
We can allways design a better race-course. Learn what makes a race-course better, and keep hunting for a new one.

Learn what makes a sailboat faster, and keep designing a faster one.

But, that's no reason why we can't sail less than disney-land perfect boats, on less than disney-land perfect courses.