HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Jan 2006
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
Walicki boats has a short-fin for the Skapel design.

The M class is a developmental boat.
Why not develop a boat that will excell where the Nationals are held.

M-nats in a pond with a depth restriction? Develop a boat that will be the fastest based on what local conditions will allow....
I have THREE different keels for one of my Ms.. I sail it with different lengths, and weights based on what's happening. Heck, some days when it's really blowing I wish I could put a Volkswagen on the keel for ballast.
FWIW I dont own a Skalpel. Why encourage building a boat that is the fastest at a particular venue. That further fractures the class or drives prices up. Let see, today is light air and shallow, so I use this boat, next week is heavy air and deep, so I use this boat. Or I could just go sail one of my one designs that I only need one of to be competitive.
I do have multiple keels for some of my M's, but all too deep for Redd's pond. When I have to spend almost $1000 to attend, I want to be sure I can sail my class legal boat. I may make it to Redd's pond some day, but it will be to sail something other than a modern M.
slotracer577 is online now Find More Posts by slotracer577
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
FWIW I dont own a Skalpel. Why encourage building a boat that is the fastest at a particular venue. That further fractures the class or drives prices up. Let see, today is light air and shallow, so I use this boat, next week is heavy air and deep, so I use this boat. Or I could just go sail one of my one designs that I only need one of to be competitive.
I do have multiple keels for some of my M's, but all too deep for Redd's pond. When I have to spend almost $1000 to attend, I want to be sure I can sail my class legal boat. I may make it to Redd's pond some day, but it will be to sail something other than a modern M.
The alternative is to hold Nationals at Venues where hosting clubs' ponds don't have depth restrictions, or hold it in the same place every year.
I bet we can count the number of ponds that can hold an event, that don't have a depth restriction on one-hand.

Assuming each region should have a Regional championchip, are there even clubs in each region that have the ability to host a regional or are their local conditions more suitable to different keel depths?

I, Myself, own a modern boat.
One of the three keels I have for it I physically can't sail with in Redds. I just put a different keel on when I sail there...
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:27 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,020 Posts
Quote:
The only reason you need to be a member of ANY local club is to get your name put on the score-sheet, and be scored.

Anyone is welcome to sail with the MMYC whether you are a member or AMYA, MMYC or not. If you want to be scored.. You pay club dues. Our dues are something like $10/annually. Whoop-de-doo.

So your club has no provisions for "Guests" so they can't/don't find out how well they did?
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
So your club has no provisions for "Guests" so they can't/don't find out how well they did?
You have to be a member of the club to make the scoresheet. But, they welcome to sail in all the heats all the time if they want without paying dues.
So, yes. no provisions for "Guests" that are not members... (Unless of course it's a visitor from another established club)

If we allowed people to come and be scored.. what's the benefit of membership? To sail for "free" and let everyone else pay for the port-o-potty, algae treatment and etc..

When it comes time to join the club, who's gonna argue with $10 membership dues.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,347 Posts
Quote:
When it comes time to join the club, who's gonna argue with $10 membership dues.
I should also mention that 99% of the people interested in our club skip the whole "you can sail with us not as a member" thing, and just lay-down their 10 bucks and make the scoresheet.

10 Dollars for algae treatment, Port-O-Potty, a full season of sailing with your name on the scoresheet. You'd be nuts not to.
Of course, regattas have entry fees during the season, but then food and trophies are provided and yada yada.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:17 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,230 Posts
Quote:
I should also mention that 99% of the people interested in our club skip the whole "you can sail with us not as a member" thing, and just lay-down their 10 bucks and make the scoresheet.

10 Dollars for algae treatment, Port-O-Potty, a full season of sailing with your name on the scoresheet. You'd be nuts not to.
Of course, regattas have entry fees during the season, but then food and trophies are provided and yada yada.

My kind of club. Go out enjoy the day ! Sail and sail some more !
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:31 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,020 Posts
I guess I thought (as former race committee, etc.) that it would be simple to write down all sail numbers finishing - but trophies for only those that are members. That way a non-member could go home thinking " Gee - I placed 7th. out of 12 boats - maybe I'll join and see if I can remain/improve next regatta. I didn't mention it earlier, but was under the assumption that regatta fees would have been charged - member or not, so that wasn't the issue.

I am pleased that your local club is willing to host non-members, regardless of the after-race activities reserved for club members and AMYA members. Most "guests" would view those as enhancements to a day of sailing. Great to hear that since there are often comments from non-members that detract from membership mainly due to "Real Members" acting like @-holes. Many new sailors that I've talked to are turned off by lakeside manners, foul language, screaming, and by other sailors being obnoxious. Member/non-member has nothing to do with the way they perceive the hobby. It would seem if we can't get them at the local level, there is little chance to get them regionally or nationally. This is where clubs could use the help from "seasoned" other clubs, or regional assistance.

Unfortunately, the local club (like others) does little to encourage when they don't even print (or update) classes that sail. Too bad, as the AMYA Club Directory is where I've referenced new sailors. Maybe something that AMYA "management" might consider worthwhile - educating clubs to keep their info current.

I guess a check of Wisconsin, Iowa clubs might reflect an interest in "Marbleheads".
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:01 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Many new sailors that I've talked to are turned off by lakeside manners, foul language, screaming, and by other sailors being obnoxious. Member/non-member has nothing to do with the way they perceive the hobby.
Isn't that the truth? Coming from "big boats", I've always found this to be an amusing facet of the radio sailing world.

But to keep it on topic, this sort of behavior would not be considered acceptable by the majority of Marblehead sailors out there, active or not.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:30 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Aug 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Isn't that the truth? Coming from "big boats", I've always found this to be an amusing facet of the radio sailing world.

But to keep it on topic, this sort of behavior would not be considered acceptable by the majority of Marblehead sailors out there, active or not.
This is much of the appeal of the M class here. Its a bit old school. The racing is close, but at the end of the day fun. Its not as cut throat as some of the newer classes. During the NZ nationals there wasn't a protest hearing. 7 different winners in 10 races. New boats sailing verses boats 10 years old. Swing verses conventional. But it was mates having fun against mates. The class is growing again here. The general feeling here in the class is bring a smile
NZL756 is offline Find More Posts by NZL756
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
74 Posts
MH Nationals

Race Week in San Diego was a nice one day event for the MH Nationals. It was nice to have the boats on the water and out of the dusty closets.
If there is interest for another 2013 Nationals I would suggest a location that allows the boats to sail in deep water, sail longer courses then a smaller RC boat and no 'control area'. Having sailed at Reed's Pond many times, it is a nice place to visit but not a pond I'd travel to for a Nationals.
I'm from SF and the venue's here in a 50 mile radius are plentiful. if there is enough interest from the class/fellow racers to hold it here I would certainly help out. On any given day between April - October you can sail the morning races in 'A' rig and end the day in a 'C' rig with big waves!
Sweet.....
Houdini13 is offline Find More Posts by Houdini13
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini13 View Post
If there is interest for another 2013 Nationals I would suggest a location that allows the boats to sail in deep water, sail longer courses then a smaller RC boat and no 'control area'. Having sailed at Reed's Pond many times, it is a nice place to visit but not a pond I'd travel to for a Nationals.
Ready for my honest opinion now that the current M champion has chimed in.....

I sail in Redds Pond every weekend.
I also think it's a terrible place to host a large event. Shallow draft, Small pond, dirty wind obscured by trees/buildings, no "real" facilities, minimal parking.

I'm right with you... but hey, don't tell me any reason why it CANT be done.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
Barbados

You won't remember me but I recall you coming to a little lake in Connecticut for the M nationals. I had my boat there for my first M competition and was impressed to have someone travel all that way to the event!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
When you run into him just tell him Peter Allen from Barbados says hi and hope all is well ,the M's are collecting dust and strung up in the club house roof as displays,last time i sailed it was in 2004 nats in Fla which it won.I think
tprice is offline Find More Posts by tprice
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,347 Posts
This from The AMYA Bulletin, By John Y. Stoud:

The first semi-annual vintage Marblehead regatta was held at Marsh Creek State Park, near Downingtown, PA, on September 25, 2012. This regatta series is the result of discussions between Harry Mote, Ivor Walton and John Stoudt to try and have a small series of vintage Marblehead regattas in the Philadelphia region. These are being hosted twice a year, alternating between the Chester Springs Model Yacht Club and the Marbleheaders of Springlake. During the spring of 2013 the second event will be hosted in Springlake.

The Marsh Creek Lake is large (500 plus acres), has good wind and provides some nice open water racing. The day was partly cloudy and cool with a stiff breeze from the west, gusting to fifteen to twenty. We set a windward leeward course.

The following are the results of the eleven races sailed, with no through outs.
Harry Mote - 16 points w/10 firsts sailing his own design double ender - a beautiful boat.
John Stoudt - 33 points w/1 first sailing a 1934 restored Marblehead.
Ivor Walton - 33 points sailing his recently completed Madcap - a nice boat.
Dick Bardsley - 47 points sailing a Rusticator designed by Thom McLaughlin built by John Stoudt.
John Kathman - 51 points sailing a Cheerio he recently completed.
Bill Ewing - 70 points sailing a Pete Peterson double ender.
Skip Hall - 79 points sailing a newly acquired double ender. Another nice boat
We invite other owners of vintage Marbleheads who live in the area to join us. We hope to see you at one of our events!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,347 Posts
A couple M's have come up for sale on the AMYA classifieds:

http://www.theamya.org/classifieds/
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:14 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
US (RM) Championship 2013???

Guys
In my previous thread I mentioned about the possibility of you staging another US (RM) Championship next year. I also said that providing the event was more than a one day regatta, in an open venue I would seriously consider flying over to compete. Browsing at some of the responses I am of the opinion that there seems to be politics surrounding AMYA members / non-members. As im from the UK, I would be classed as a non AMYA member, but my boat would have a valid measuring certificate. Surely if you were to hold an (RM) Championship, as long as a skipper has a valid measuring certificate for his boat, then he could race. Alternatively, you could use the regatta to encourage non-members to join the AMYA. More often these days in the UK we see other skippers coming across Europe to compete in our championships, they are not members but they have a valid measuring certificates for their boats. Despite this if a skipper does not have a certificate for his boat, then the regatta officials could make arrangements to have the boat measured prior to the regatta starting, this would maximise the entry creating a fantastic Championship, therefore encouraging others to join the AMYA.

Additionally, my recommendation for a venue has to be Fort Lauderdale. A good open piece of water with a strong privailing breeze. I appreciate the journey involved for some, but potentially it would mean a 15 hour flight for myself. You never know but you might get a 20 boat entry over a two day regatta, rather than a 8-10 boat entry like you had at San Deigo for just 1 day.

JT
www.taylormadeyachts.com
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor