HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:22 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
215 Posts
Guys
I will give attending your M - Nationals 2013 some serious thought if the regatta is a two day minimum event and the venue is an open piece of water with a good privailing breeze. I think where you had the IOM's in 2011 (Fort Lauderdale) would be an excellent venue for a future Marblehead Championship.
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Jan 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
Gpzy
we must have different lists then, I see.......
Mesa Model YC,Mesa ,AZ
Tillerman Model YC,Mesa,AZ
Sacramento Model YC,Yuba City,Ca
Woodbridge RC YC,Irvine,CA
Denver Area Model Yacht Assoc.,Centennial,Co
Pequot YC,Redding,CT
Stratford Model YC,Stratford,CT
Hurricane Model YC,Port ST Lucie,Fl
Naples Model YC,Naples,Fl
Greater New Orleans Model Sailing Club,Harahan,LA
Marblehead Model YC,Marblehead,MA
Detroit Model YC,West Bloomfield,MI
Laconia Model YC,Moultonboro,NH
Eisenhower Park Model YC,East Meadow,NY
Lakeside Model Sailing Club,East Northport,NY
MIll Pond Model YC,Whitestone,NY
Chester Springs Model YC,Chester Springs,PA
Woodlawn Sailing Club,San Antonio,TX

I didn't note clubs that listed Soling 50s, and 2 or 3 just said "vintage"
we have a growing interest here in Chicago, toward the vintage hulls.
Damya (Denver) is no longer sailing regularly. We used to have a fleet of 10 + M's.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:38 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
215 Posts
Serious Marblehead racing

Guys
Additionally to my above comment, please view the photos taken this weekend at a 2 day Vane Marblehead race at Fleetwood, UK. As you can see the wind was very strong and we had trouble keeping up with these vane yachts. Its these types of conditions that would make your future RM Championship a fantastic event. I'm sure after it, some of you may think differently to the 'Skalpul' being the dominant design. I look forward with interest on your final decision, on which venue you will choose to hold next years U.S (RM) Championship.

JT
www.taylormadeyachts.com

Name: Beating Marbleheads.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 281.7 KB
Description:

Name: Pixel & J Taylor.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 261.1 KB
Description:

Name: Starkers on the Run.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 291.2 KB
Description:

Name: Keep Running.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 276.2 KB
Description:
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
If its at reds pond it's not deep enough for any of my M's. all three, soon to be 4 are all right at max depth per international rules, note that us rules have no max depth. It is probably better to have a ncr than not, but having at a venue that can not accept legal boats is an issue.
Walicki boats has a short-fin for the Skapel design.

He doesn't sell any because, well, everyone wants to sail that boat as a long-fin max draft, because that's in-vogue.
There's no reason why a Skapel CANT sail in redds. Just buy or build the short fin! (Yes, it changes displacement and yada yada.)

Again, Don't focus on the reasons why things can't be done. Start focusing on the reasons why they can be.

The M class is a developmental boat.
Why not develop a boat that will excell where the Nationals are held.

M-nats in a pond with a depth restriction? Develop a boat that will be the fastest based on what local conditions will allow....
I have THREE different keels for one of my Ms.. I sail it with different lengths, and weights based on what's happening. Heck, some days when it's really blowing I wish I could put a Volkswagen on the keel for ballast.

M-nats in the ocean with very choppy conditions? Probably shouldn't bring a super-narrow low displacement bow and pitchpole around the racecourse....
I've seen the LEAD on a 20+ inch fin Marblehead come OUT OF THE WATER when a boat has nose-dived. That's not a quick way to sail. Nor is smashing your lead on the bottom because you used too-long of a keel. I've seen that too.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Last edited by breakwater; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor View Post
Guys
I will give attending your M - Nationals 2013 some serious thought if the regatta is a two day minimum event and the venue is an open piece of water with a good privailing breeze. I think where you had the IOM's in 2011 (Fort Lauderdale) would be an excellent venue for a future Marblehead Championship.

We have our first international entry.
Don't tell me why it can't be done. Start telling me how we are going to make it happen.
This guy is coming accross the ocean to sail.

We can't drive 6-hours?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
It is probably better to have a ncr than not, but having at a venue that can not accept legal boats is an issue.
....I don't want to ever hear that a NCR cannot be held in Marblehead for any reason.
It's the birthplace of the entire class for pete sake!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:05 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
678 Posts
Slightly Off Topic but Relevant

Here are a couple examples of organized class activity on the internet.

http://www.ec12.org/

http://radioaclass.wordpress.com/

I'd love to see a revival of the International A in the US. Right now, the only club sailing vintage A's is Mill Pond on Long Island. The UK and Aussies have left us behind on A class design.

There's no reason the M could not have this visibility.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:08 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
678 Posts
[QUOTE=john m taylor;22901796]Guys
Additionally to my above comment, please view the photos taken this weekend at a 2 day Vane Marblehead race at Fleetwood, UK. As you can see the wind was very strong and we had trouble keeping up with these vane yachts. Its these types of conditions that would make your future RM Championship a fantastic event. I'm sure after it, some of you may think differently to the 'Skalpul' being the dominant design. I look forward with interest on your final decision, on which venue you will choose to hold next years U.S (RM) Championship.

JT
www.taylormadeyachts.com

I've understood Fleetwood to be a windy place, but wow!

Next year, I will be in Gosport and the South Coast so I'm looking forward to see some M and A class action.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:27 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
Any level (Local, National)
Any Region (R1, R4)
Any Country (USA, Germany)
Any Era (Vintage, Modern)
Any Design (Madcap, Pinter 2.5)
Any Skill-Set (Beginner, Expert)
.... of the M-class is OK with me.. 50/800 activity is 50/800 activity.
What part of the class would you like to participate in? There's an M-boat out there that fits you!
I'll be the 800 lb. gorilla in the room and venture a suggestion, sure to gather the slings and arrows yaba yaba yaba.......

All of the above are great thoughts - however ..... you want boats, and we all agree that we need to inject effort into more new members - so why is i t, that AMYA always wants members - but does little to encourage a non-AMYA member to participate? (I refer to AMYA in both the management sense and in the local club sense). Why not (instead of kicking out owners who don't race) require each region to hold at least one (1) regatta each year open to non-AMYA members - it might be close enough, it might be cheap enough, and it might not intimidate non-members to at least come out and sail. Give the "hardware" to the AMYA members, ask the loud-mouth, overbearing member or non-member to pull their boat and leave until they learn manners, and use the entry fees to supplement any new member joining for their first year. If 10 boats show up - and all are non-members (Marbleheads or "plastics") use the "members" entry fees to divide equally. The "M" owners may find it enjoyable to sail in less stressful atmosphere than at a Regional/National event. The owners of "plastics" may see a reason to spend more (or less according to some) than their current boat and consider an upgrade to an "M" (or an "M" owner might swap his big boat for something smaller and easy to store or transport).

I am suggesting the AMYA members get their heads out of the clouds (or lower on their anatomies) and do something for all r/c sailors - with or without AMYA membership. We've done a similar thing for the RG65 class here in the US, allowing non-members to participate up to and including championship level events. The non-members simply are scored separately and trophies go to the AMYA members. After a couple regattas, many are interested in joining - others prefer to remain as a non-member. And before you take shots, keep in mind what the philosophy aand direction statement of AMYA is "...We are a 40 year old, not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting the designing, building, racing, and preservation of all model sailing yachts." If we follow that goal, the memberships will come - if we focus on "memberships" first - we will have what we have. (in my opinion)
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Last edited by Dick L.; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:00 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
921 Posts
sigh....and as usual, I disagree with everything Dick says.oh well.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:16 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
sigh....and as usual, I disagree with everything Dick says.oh well.
What is wrong with "Invitational" regattas? Regattas open to non-members? My club has seen recent success with them focused on one of our fleets. Yes, they generate interest and yes, they result in new membership.

One or two regattas per year in each region- class of boat might rotate as well. I would not see this as encouraging "Freeloading" by those who want to race without joining the AMYA. (yes, I'm a dues paying member.)

I think this is a great idea-
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Last edited by Aerominded; Oct 03, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
What is wrong with "Invitational" regattas? Regattas open to non-members? My club has seen recent success with them focused on one of our fleets. Yes, they generate interest and yes, they result in new membership.

One or two regattas per year in each region- class of boat might rotate as well. I would not see this as encouraging "Freeloading" by those who want to race without joining the AMYA. (yes, I'm a dues paying member.)

I think this is a great idea-
Wait..
STOP.

This thread is about the Marblehead Class.
Not the AMYA.

Who cares how the regattas are run if the Marblehead class doesn't even have regattas! We're putting the carriage in front of the horse.
Somebody show me a regatta for the Marblehead in each region, then we can blab about how it should be run. But for now we're drydocked.

I'll tell you what. If YOU put on a Marblehead regatta anywhere, any-time,, YOU can make up the format of how it's run.
And, I don't care what the format is. If you sail Ms, I'll support your regatta.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:40 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
Quote:
Wait..
STOP.

This thread is about the Marblehead Class.
Not the AMYA.
I know at least two guys with Marbleheads who are not members of the AMYA. Now, if there was a no-fuss way for them to get them wet, with other Marbleheads in an organized way, they might just bring 'em out- just to try it. and then they might start to bring them out regularly.

"I got this old 50" sailboat in my garage but if I want to try racing it, I gotta spend money and join a national organization, just to see if I like it..."

Could be a barrier? Could be relevant?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
I know at least two guys with Marbleheads who are not members of the AMYA. Now, if there was a no-fuss way for them to get them wet, with other Marbleheads in an organized way, they might just bring 'em out- just to try it. and then they might start to bring them out regularly.
All they have to do is put them into water.

As a side note, Plenty of sailors at my local club (The Marblehead Model yacht Club) are not members of AMYA. Maybe even has high as 40% of the club, but I am not confident on that.... It's alot anyways.
Furthermore, to sail with our club you don't even need to be a member of our club. The only reason you need to be a member of ANY local club is to get your name put on the score-sheet, and be scored.

Anyone is welcome to sail with the MMYC whether you are a member or AMYA, MMYC or not. If you want to be scored.. You pay club dues. Our dues are something like $10/annually. Whoop-de-doo.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:57 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
Quote:
Whoop-de-doo.
Sounds like a good club- mine is similar.