HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:58 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
As GPZY notes, when you are competing with maybe 2 dozen or more established classes, and with many of them less expensive than a Marblehead, it might explain why there are issues trying to promote a class that while exciting is viewed as expensive to participate and maintain competitive.

Again, right back to the point made previously in this thread several times.

There are more aspects to the Marblehead class than just expensive brand-new boats..
Of those aspects include THOUSANDS of existing boats in closets that would cost the owners $0.00 to dust off and sail. Thus, providing a price tag that is even more competitive than the cheap plastics.
Once-A week, someone has started a new thread on this site asking "what kind of Marblehead is this, I found it in a closet"

There's no problem with the class. There's a problem with our views.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:34 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
I am sure cost is one of the reasons. As well as availability. But what I am saying there are so many different classes that are raced here in the US. Some clubs even race boats specific to there clubs.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:47 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Another thing to consider is Geography. New Zealand has about the same square miles as the state of Colorado. The whole of Europe is about half the size of the Continental US. For me to sail with gpzy, it's about 6 hours by car, and $100 or more for fuel, round trip. There seems to be a lot of "pockets" of marblehead interest around the US, it's just a pain to get everyone together. If there were a great spot to sail near Lebanon, Kansas, (The geographic center of the CONUS) maybe we'd see a bigger turnout for a major event.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Another thing to consider is Geography. New Zealand has about the same square miles as the state of Colorado. The whole of Europe is about half the size of the Continental US. For me to sail with gpzy, it's about 6 hours by car, and $100 or more for fuel, round trip. There seems to be a lot of "pockets" of marblehead interest around the US, it's just a pain to get everyone together. If there were a great spot to sail near Lebanon, Kansas, (The geographic center of the CONUS) maybe we'd see a bigger turnout for a major event.

That couldn't be any further from the truth.
according to the class registrations I uploaded from the Fall 2012 AMYA magazine (and upload again here) There are 180 M owners evenly spread throughout all regions.

You can drive 6 hours to sail with GPZY, but... there are plenty of other owners in your region so why do it? Find those other Ms that are AMYA registered in your region, and make it happen.

Furthermore, Keep in mind these registrations are all ACTIVE AMYA members. God knows how many M owners are not active AMYA members. These are just the ones accounted for.

The only way to build anything is not to dwell on, or search for the reasons why It can't be done, But rather the reasons why It can be. The M class is a developmental boat. It can develop an answer to any challenge you present it.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
I am sure cost is one of the reasons. As well as availability. But what I am saying there are so many different classes that are raced here in the US. Some clubs even race boats specific to there clubs.
RC Sailing is fragmented, yes.... So what.

As shown in the graph above the M class is one of the strongest classes in the AMYA.

People come out with new ideas for classes every week.. who cares!
"Only the strong survive" You need to maintain 20 registrations to be a class in the AMYA... Some classes have fallen below that Mark.

The M class is no-where near desperation.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:44 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
My comment was mainly about the comment on the number of people attending the large contests. As you note, there are a lot of registered M owners, and countless non-registered owners. That's a major reason you won't see "massive" turnouts like other countries might see. At local regattas, we see between 5 and a dozen boats, depending on the time of year. Traveling across the country to sail with "maybe" two dozen boats isn't everyone's cup of tea.

It might be that I'm chewing bubble-gum about astrophysics, but it's really no matter. I enjoy sailing "my" borrowed Marblehead when I can, and I'll continue to read this thread, because I like doing that, too.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
My comment was mainly about the comment on the number of people attending the large contests. As you note, there are a lot of registered M owners, and countless non-registered owners. That's a major reason you won't see "massive" turnouts like other countries might see. At local regattas, we see between 5 and a dozen boats, depending on the time of year. Traveling across the country to sail with "maybe" two dozen boats isn't everyone's cup of tea.

It might be that I'm chewing bubble-gum about astrophysics, but it's really no matter. I enjoy sailing "my" borrowed Marblehead when I can, and I'll continue to read this thread, because I like doing that, too.
I understood..
And just to be clear I'm not trying to be rude on the answer. Just making a point.

But..
Hey. With SO many M owners in every region there is no reason EACH region couldn't have it's own regional event with an excellent turnout, and a Nationals.... location irrelevant.

One of the problems is not with the class. The problem is with the owners. M-owners currently have a poor attendance record.
If you have a poor attendance record at school, you get kicked out.
Maybe M-owners should be kicked out of the class, and their boats given to people who actually want to sail! (haha)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
I hope to one day to add a M class boat to my fleet of boats. Only because I like big boats. (Newport12) Looking at the list of M owners I see 49 registered in R6. Now I go to the club listing on the AMYA web site. Not one club sails them, my guess is the club listing is wrong. But I do know that the clubs local to me do not sail them.
Is there a Yahoo group or a Facebook group promoting the M class ?

Kick them out and kick me down a boat !! LOL !!!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Is there a Yahoo group or a Facebook group promoting the M class ?
There is no Yahoo Group, or Facebook Group... and there shouldn't be.

There should be one place where the WORLD talks about the M-Class. Not fragmented into 16 different websites. So far, this thread has had input from around the globe, and has been pinned to the front page of this board since the first post on: Feb 11, 2012, 03:59 PM

And, RC Groups sure does get plenty of web traffic. Good enough.
The entire world can chime in here and work out the kinks to get us all sailing TOGETHER.

If the class really grew... well It could get it's own website just as others have done.

In the US, the promotion of the M class starts with bringing it into the digital age, and a class secretary that will promote it.
As of now, we are "still looking for a club that will host the 2013 M nationals" ........Meh.

What's wrong with M-Nationals in Marblehead next summer.

Who's coming? How many registrations do we have for that? I'll be there. There's one.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:28 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
Quote:
II see 49 registered in R6. Now I go to the club listing on the AMYA web site. Not one club sails them
There are a few in my club but they don't race/score in an "M" class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
I totally hear you, BW but perhaps the focus should be shifted to the regional level- I agree that good grassroots racing can be had with all of the "old" boats out there for not much money... Look at all of the fun had in PHRF around the country- But, for me to spend a thousand or two dollars to sail in a national regatta sailing a Bingo against newer, faster boats is a little bit out of the question. A lot of people might be feeling that way.

Local, grassroots...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
I totally hear you, BW but perhaps the focus should be shifted to the regional level- I agree that good grassroots racing can be had with all of the "old" boats out there for not much money... Look at all of the fun had in PHRF around the country- But, for me to spend a thousand or two dollars to sail in a national regatta sailing a Bingo against newer, faster boats is a little bit out of the question. A lot of people might be feeling that way.

Local, grassroots...
Any level (Local, National)
Any Region (R1, R4)
Any Country (USA, Germany)
Any Era (Vintage, Modern)
Any Design (Madcap, Pinter 2.5)
Any Skill-Set (Beginner, Expert)

.... of the M-class is OK with me.. 50/800 activity is 50/800 activity.

What part of the class would you like to participate in? There's an M-boat out there that fits you!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
But, for me to spend a thousand or two dollars to sail in a national regatta sailing a Bingo against newer, faster boats is a little bit out of the question.
Design logic would tend to tell you something... But I will certainly tell you one thing that's a garuntee:

You'll never win if you don't try!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Jan 2006
598 Posts
[
In the US, the promotion of the M class starts with bringing it into the digital age, and a class secretary that will promote it.
As of now, we are "still looking for a club that will host the 2013 M nationals" ........Meh.

Who's coming? How many registrations do we have for that? I'll be there. There's one.[/QUOTE]

If its at reds pond it's not deep enough for any of my M's. all three, soon to be 4 are all right at max depth per international rules, note that us rules have no max depth. It is probably better to have a ncr than not, but having at a venue that can not accept legal boats is an issue.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:31 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
AMYA clubs sailing M class

Gpzy
we must have different lists then, I see.......
Mesa Model YC,Mesa ,AZ
Tillerman Model YC,Mesa,AZ
Sacramento Model YC,Yuba City,Ca
Woodbridge RC YC,Irvine,CA
Denver Area Model Yacht Assoc.,Centennial,Co
Pequot YC,Redding,CT
Stratford Model YC,Stratford,CT
Hurricane Model YC,Port ST Lucie,Fl
Naples Model YC,Naples,Fl
Greater New Orleans Model Sailing Club,Harahan,LA
Marblehead Model YC,Marblehead,MA
Detroit Model YC,West Bloomfield,MI
Laconia Model YC,Moultonboro,NH
Eisenhower Park Model YC,East Meadow,NY
Lakeside Model Sailing Club,East Northport,NY
MIll Pond Model YC,Whitestone,NY
Chester Springs Model YC,Chester Springs,PA
Woodlawn Sailing Club,San Antonio,TX

I didn't note clubs that listed Soling 50s, and 2 or 3 just said "vintage"
we have a growing interest here in Chicago, toward the vintage hulls.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
Gpzy
we must have different lists then, I see.......
Mesa Model YC,Mesa ,AZ
Tillerman Model YC,Mesa,AZ
Sacramento Model YC,Yuba City,Ca
Woodbridge RC YC,Irvine,CA
Denver Area Model Yacht Assoc.,Centennial,Co
Pequot YC,Redding,CT
Stratford Model YC,Stratford,CT
Hurricane Model YC,Port ST Lucie,Fl
Naples Model YC,Naples,Fl
Greater New Orleans Model Sailing Club,Harahan,LA
Marblehead Model YC,Marblehead,MA
Detroit Model YC,West Bloomfield,MI
Laconia Model YC,Moultonboro,NH
Eisenhower Park Model YC,East Meadow,NY
Lakeside Model Sailing Club,East Northport,NY
MIll Pond Model YC,Whitestone,NY
Chester Springs Model YC,Chester Springs,PA
Woodlawn Sailing Club,San Antonio,TX

I didn't note clubs that listed Soling 50s, and 2 or 3 just said "vintage"
we have a growing interest here in Chicago, toward the vintage hulls.
Woodbridge does not sail Marbleheads only IOMs

And they are not local to me, lol !!
Last edited by gpzy; Oct 03, 2012 at 12:46 AM.