SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Will a Skalpel win the Bithell Cup this year? Why not? it is a Marblehead, just like the Madcap, no? Why is it not eliglble to race? Doesn't measure as a "VM"?
No,
A skapel is a Modern boat.. it should be sailed with & scored with modern boats. It doesn't measure as a VM.

You missed the point of earlier entirely.
Point was... These boats all measure as Marbleheads. They are different groups after that fact.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:38 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
You missed the point of earlier entirely.
No, I didn't miss the point at all- sure, they all measure as Marbleheads, but in a race between a Madcap and a Skalpel, does it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
A skapel is a Modern boat.. It doesn't measure as a VM...
My original point exactly... there is a recognized distiction between an M and a VM!

Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:16 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts

R/C Vintage Marblehead (VM)

There is a small group pushing for a Classic Marblehead subclass, btw.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
All good stuff. Instead, we probably should have spent the day sailing the boats of our choice.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:33 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
All good stuff. Instead, we probably should have spent the day sailing the boats of our choice.
Always a good way to spend the day !
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Yes, there is a recongnised distintion between the DESIGN of a VM and an M. I'm only trying to recongnise that these distinctions are not grounds for seperate classes.

As of now, there is one Marblehead class that exits. That's all we need if you ask me.

Yes, there is a small group pushing for a "Classic" era AMYA sanctioned Marblehead Class But what's the sense in that. They are still M's

If the Classic becomes a class, where are they to hold the nationals? Where is the Classic regatta to be held?
What are we going to seperate out every single design and create it's own class because it's different?

Wait, isn't that why model yachting is so fragmented as it is, becuase we've created so many different classes, and as a result overall populations are low?

Hey, I own a Hickman EC-12 and a Dumas. They are both way different than the new boats that are of a standard.

Should I branch out from the EC-12 class and create my own special niche "Hickman EC-12 class?" Maybe I could hope for a few people at best. Or, I could join forces with the EC-12 class and accept that my boats are different.

I did sail today. I expirimened with a $7 camera. It's worth every penny.
Last edited by breakwater; Sep 02, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
AMYA Class populations as of Fall 2012 (Issue 169)
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Sailed in the Marblehead "Chandler Hovey" today.

I meant to put a small keychain camera on the top of my masthead crane after racing, but Staples was closed on the way to the pond, so no velcro.
DARN!

Oh well, I'll get some video next time.
And the top of the swing-rig looking down is going to look pretty cool! (As well as show me my sail trim )
Last edited by breakwater; Sep 02, 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Poor engrish
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:54 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
I like the name of your boat- You have a good sense of humor, Breakwater.

Keep up the good M "fight".
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Hi Guy's

I'm about ready to paint 4 Paper Tiger Mkll's from Frank Russell here in Australia. Everything is being done on the cheap. Rigs are being made from Hobbyking carbon tubes etc, foils are being made by myself etc. These are being built on a cost of materials basis for a couple of mates and myself. Looking like around $Aus900 finished with 3 rigs, in the water. Once they get to be a bit more interesting looking I'll post a couple of pics.

This Thread appears to be following the vintage part of the class. I'd like to here about more modern builds/boats owned/restorations of more current designs etc.

Old stuff is fine but what about those home builders doing what I'm up too?

Bas
basildog is offline Find More Posts by basildog
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basildog View Post
Hi Guy's

I'm about ready to paint 4 Paper Tiger Mkll's from Frank Russell here in Australia. Everything is being done on the cheap. Rigs are being made from Hobbyking carbon tubes etc, foils are being made by myself etc. These are being built on a cost of materials basis for a couple of mates and myself. Looking like around $Aus900 finished with 3 rigs, in the water. Once they get to be a bit more interesting looking I'll post a couple of pics.

This Thread appears to be following the vintage part of the class. I'd like to here about more modern builds/boats owned/restorations of more current designs etc.

Old stuff is fine but what about those home builders doing what I'm up too?

Bas

Just like the Marblehead class, this thread has developed.
We've gone from "Dead" to Modern, To Vintage, to Classic and back around again.

This thread can go any direction it want's, because the Marblehead class can go any direction it wants.... We've been talking alot about the Vintage aspect, but we can change gears and talk about more modern boats for-sure.

#41 you see above is a modern boat. It's a Kevlar-hull, with cabon-fiber swing rig. My boat is finished being built, and I actively sail it...
My boat is SOOOOO MODERN that It's Obsolete...

I Have, however received plenty of emails about people dusting off the Modern boats.. Including a group of 4 Sterne Vipers that are being refurbished & raced in Ft. Lauterdale, FL.
Perhaps that person will chime in on what they've done to their modern boats....

Some people are racing Skapels from 2002.
Aren't those Vintage? Or are they Classic?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:24 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
860 Posts
I was thinking more like dinosaures (tongue in cheek) no really Marbleheads in the UK is growing again I'm racing my Starkers 3 on Sunday we have 10 Marbleheads in my club alone all current designs like Starkers, Prime Numbers and Roks I think you'll find the Slapels have just not got it compared to the speed of these boats. The latest designs like the Starkers from Dave Creed (Lintel fame) are after all the F1 of model sailing boats so why would we want to get the old boats out and dust them down I'm sure if a small group of you got together with some current designs people would follow and racing events would take off again there is just nothing like racing Marbleheads in high winds!
get this DVD from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marvellous-M.../dp/B008D219Y8 it may tempt you in building a current design!

Marblehead RC Model Racing Yacht (5 min 4 sec)
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
I was thinking more like dinosaures (tongue in cheek)
Haha!
Love it!

You mean to say that the Skapel is not in-fact the best Marblehead 50/800 that could ever possibly be designed?
You mean to tell me that a designer can design a developmental boat tweaked-out just that little bit more to beat a skapel?

-The fin just a little more stiff, and a little more fair.
-The rig with just a little less windage
-The complete boat just a little bit lighter....

There is no final design of the fastest 50/800 possible. The M is a developmental class. there's always something that can be done better.

And, if someone isn't too thrilled with all this "rocket science" they can just as easily design/develop/construct a Marblehead that wears more Vintage clothes. (I.E. Sun-Wind)

I do own that "Marvellous Marbleheads" video. It's great. there's a section of about 1/2-hour of just Ms racing around the pond without commentary. Good stuff.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
860 Posts
This coming Sunday we have a Marblehead ranking race on a very nice open water lake the forecast looks good for a blow as well this will be a tune up for the Worlds in France next month so Brad Gibson, Rob Walsh and Martin Roberts should be there unfortunatly I will not have my new boat ready in time so will be sailing my Starkers 3

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=HP19+0...11727&t=h&z=17
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:11 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Hi Tony,
What design is your new boat? We just had another Creed 10R come to Perth, it was a M in its previous life in the UK
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike