Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:25 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
gpzy's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
I wonder if there are pics of the boats on the water from San Diego?
Eric is a very good sailor !
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:44 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Guz's Avatar
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,132 Posts
Pics will probably be posted after race week is over.

I got my handed to me on a platter. Last place, every time.

I seriously under estimated the wind in San Diego. I kept thinking I should make a different set of sails for the regatta, but kept putting it off till it was to late. My fault. I just don't see that type of air, here in AZ. We are light air sailors. Mission bay has air that I only dream about, steady, strong air out of one general direction. I kept trying to tune what I had accordingly, but I just kept making things worse.

The other thing was tactics. Again, here in AZ we learn to read wind shifts, and sail accordingly, aka "The Arizona two boat rule". That is, within two boat lengths, one could be beating, where-as someone else is reaching, and a third could be going down wind, all going to the same mark (it's nuts, to say the least)! So going to somewhere where the wind is consistent and you actually have to use tactics, is somewhat foreign to me.

After the third race, I just accepted what it was, and tried to keep out of the way as much as possible (which was really easy bringing up the rear) and just to finish every race. I only got 6th from attrition as two other boats dropped out because of equipment failures.

But I did get many compliments for the most beautiful boat in the race.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:06 AM
Registered User
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz View Post
I got my handed to me on a platter. Last place, every time.)

I only got 6th from attrition as two other boats dropped out because of equipment failures.
You'll never get First place if you don't sail. (DNS = # of boats +1)
You'll allways finish last place if your equipment fails. DNF = # of boats +1)


So, you didn't get last. You got 6th of 8. Which, is pretty good.


8 Boats is another story. In my personal opinion, that's pretty pathetic. But, atleast we had a Marblehead Nationals. Let's hope for 10-12 boats next year.. Growth is Growth.


I have a Viper... I would have been beaten badly by the good skippers sailing Skapels. But, I bet you anything I can beat a Skapel with an average skipper.
It's not always about the boat you know...

Your boat is planked wood and sailed with Skapels. Did you get last place in the standings? NO.
You beat two boats, and the record will show you got 6th of 8.

I hope those were two skapels you beat.....

I wish I could have sailed, but with the employment, and being from M.A. the west-coast was a little much to travel to go sail model boats.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Last edited by breakwater; Aug 03, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
Neither boat that dnf'd was a skalpel. Skalpels were 1,2,3,4 One of the dnf's was mine. The hull was built for a stayless rig and I ran stays which pulled the hull/deck joint apart. That let water in, really slowed the boat down. I will get it rebuilt this winter with stronger chain plates. It showed flashes of speed. Need more boat time to get it right.
Better sailing would not overcome lack of boat speed in sd. There were long beats with only small shifts. Not easy to make up ground.
The fleet quickly would separate into two groups. The top 3 and everyone else. It was humbling but a good learning Experience.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:45 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Guz's Avatar
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
It was humbling but a good learning Experience.
Yes it was! Very humbling, but fun

Another thing I forgot to mention, when I was cleaning up at the end I noticed a pine needle wedged in my rudder. Still wondering if it was there while racing. Another little thing that might have slowed things up.

I wish there was a skapel in my area to sail with on a regular basis. Something to tune against.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:10 PM
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
821 Posts
RM Worlds 2012

just wondering why is there only 1 entry from the United States for the RM Worlds in France this year, come on guys what's happening!
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:17 PM
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
821 Posts
Here's a link to the RM Worlds in France this coming October http://www.avrv.asso.fr/14_mondial_2012_english.html Brad Gibson has entered after a blistering win with his new boat 'Grunge' at the UK Nationals. I have heard that some new design Marbleheads are also going to be making an entry from some of the other top skippers.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:51 PM
Registered User
flatlandsailor's Avatar
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
348 Posts
I just took over ownership of an old Dumas Bingo M class boat. A club member recently passed away and now the boat is in my possession. Out of respect for him, my plan is to update it a bit and maybe give it a new coat of paint eventually. I will be looking to register it with the VM Class. Anyone know who I need to contact?. He built the boat back in the 1970's when the kit was first released and I know he was proud of it.

So many projects... So little time! A Star 45 needs to be built first!

Andy
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
Contact standley Goodwin off the Amya page to register. He is quick to respond.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:20 AM
Registered User
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsailor View Post
I just took over ownership of an old Dumas Bingo M class boat. A club member recently passed away and now the boat is in my possession. Out of respect for him, my plan is to update it a bit and maybe give it a new coat of paint eventually. I will be looking to register it with the VM Class. Anyone know who I need to contact?. He built the boat back in the 1970's when the kit was first released and I know he was proud of it.

So many projects... So little time! A Star 45 needs to be built first!

Andy
The boat should be registered in the M Class, it is not a VM, and there is no VM class.
As previoulsy suggested, contact Stan. He will help you register the boat.
Does it have sail numbers? It may already have been registered and you would put in for a transfer.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:10 AM
Registered User
flatlandsailor's Avatar
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
The boat should be registered in the M Class, it is not a VM, and there is no VM class.
As previoulsy suggested, contact Stan. He will help you register the boat.
Does it have sail numbers? It may already have been registered and you would put in for a transfer.
No, it's never been registered nor does it have sail #'s. thanks for the info. I will contact Stan.

Andy
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:51 AM
Registered User
flatlandsailor's Avatar
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
348 Posts
Here's a picture of the boat. The first thing I noticed when I rigged the boat is that other than the sidestays and the jumper stay, there really is no adjustment to any of the rigging. It looks like it was built bone stock. I would be interested in seeing some other vintage M class (Bingo or similar) boat's rigging to see how people have updated theirs.
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:16 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsailor View Post
Here's a picture of the boat. The first thing I noticed when I rigged the boat is that other than the sidestays and the jumper stay, there really is no adjustment to any of the rigging. It looks like it was built bone stock. I would be interested in seeing some other vintage M class (Bingo or similar) boat's rigging to see how people have updated theirs.
Your boat does not need any updating! Please don't!

Your boat, bone stock with AJ fisher chainplantes and hardware is vastly greater quality than the other plastic you see on this forum, where people HAVE to upgrade their boat because bone-stock is junk.
Your boat is a prime example of the NOT-TRASH that is sitting in peoples closet that can be brought out and sailed, without any effort, without any updating.

Just go to the pond.




Infact, the 3 stays you have is actually overkill for what you really need on that mast. Most Marbleheads use 2 sets of stays.


Your boat can be confirmed as a Dumas Bingo.
It's build like a BRICK.

Take care of it.. that boat will last longer than can dream of
Congratulations.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:36 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
gpzy's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
I agree with Breakwater, this boat is a classic ! Do not change a thing.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:46 PM
Registered User
flatlandsailor's Avatar
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
Your boat does not need any updating! Please don't!

Your boat, bone stock with AJ fisher chainplantes and hardware is vastly greater quality than the other plastic you see on this forum, where people HAVE to upgrade their boat because bone-stock is junk.
Your boat is a prime example of the NOT-TRASH that is sitting in peoples closet that can be brought out and sailed, without any effort, without any updating.

Just go to the pond.




Infact, the 3 stays you have is actually overkill for what you really need on that mast. Most Marbleheads use 2 sets of stays.


Your boat can be confirmed as a Dumas Bingo.
It's build like a BRICK.

Take care of it.. that boat will last longer than can dream of
Congratulations.
I was thinking more along the lines of adjustments to make it sail better. There's no adjustable vang, no outhaul (main or jib) cunningham, backstay tension adjuster, no topping lift, etc. I doubt I ever race it in a VM regatta, but of I ever do, I have a feeling the lack of those trim adjusters would not be good.

Andy
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Marblehead/10r/IOM etc Keel for Sale breakwater Boats (FS/W) 5 May 24, 2014 01:26 PM
Discussion Marblehead Help Needed.- Whirlwind Olympic Winch eurosystem0 Sailboats 17 Apr 12, 2012 03:01 PM
Question Plans for vintage Marblehead? john_k Sailboats 4 Dec 29, 2011 01:53 PM
Discussion Homemade silicone Marblehead bowbumpers Art Gallagher Sailboats 5 Nov 12, 2011 10:06 AM
For Sale RC Marblehead racingyacht cheddarcaveman Boats (FS/W) 0 Oct 02, 2011 01:52 AM